Vegertarians

Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:09 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegertarians

Originally Posted by Shellfish
At the end of the day, if I was invited round to dinner by a nutritionist and a scientist, I know which one I would pick.
Well have to admit there's a higher chance that the nutritionist might actually be able to cook
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:12 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by charles.edington
I'm with you on this one - not for me so won't get into the argument (I eat beans/lentils etc) but I have an 8 year old who is sooo picky about food and is also a vegetarian - she won't eat most veg, most fruit, lentils, beans or anything 'mixed up'. She will eat Quorn - what am I going to do with her?

Lou
xx
In Coles, they sell veggie (quorn type) nuggets...tast alright, but not as nice as the English ones! lots of different veggie sausages, lots of different veggie burgers...vegatable ones, meaty type, chickpea, and lentil burgers. All different flavoured tofu as well. So all isn't that bad. My 3 yr old hasn't complained anyway!!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:14 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
That's no good. Even if she had quorn available, she still needs to consume vegies, legumes, fruit, soya etc particularly for her growing body. I can only recommend having a look for some veg cook books specifically for children (have a look at Amazon). Perhaps if she helps with preparation, she will be more inclined to eat it. Sorry, I don't have any children this is the best I can offer in advice. Good luck.
Tell me about it - I know what she needs and have tried everything. I make the most of the few fruit and veg she will eat, encourage her to help with the preparation etc but she is soooo picky, won't eat anything 'mixed up' - not even touching each other on the plate!!! We supplement with multivitamins and hope she'll grow out of it. Believe me, I'm not alone in this, I know kids that are worse than mine... Quorn does cover a lot of our needs but the lack of it is not going to stop us going to Oz. She's 8 1/2 now and usually kids start to get over this silliness at around 9 so hope that's the case with Molly.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Lou
xx
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:15 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elksa
In Coles, they sell veggie (quorn type) nuggets...tast alright, but not as nice as the English ones! lots of different veggie sausages, lots of different veggie burgers...vegatable ones, meaty type, chickpea, and lentil burgers. All different flavoured tofu as well. So all isn't that bad. My 3 yr old hasn't complained anyway!!

Good to hear there is are some things for us to try... so hard to find things like this out from over here.

Thanks

Lou
xx
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:20 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elksa
Yeh you can find a good selection if you hunt around. I love a good chickpea curry and I'm a confirmed meateater LOL
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Yeh you can find a good selection if you hunt around. I love a good chickpea curry and I'm a confirmed meateater LOL
There's even vegetarian Bacon I believe, not that I have tried it and it does kind of amuse me that so many vegetarians want meat substitutes. Just an observation Though I do appreciate the BBQ deal, not quite the same thing BBQing cabbage is it?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

There's even vegetarian Bacon I believe, not that I have tried it and it does kind of amuse me that so many vegetarians want meat substitutes. Just an observation Though I do appreciate the BBQ deal, not quite the same thing BBQing cabbage is it?
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll just live in hope that one day the rules change and the Oz Government start allowing someone to import Quorn (there could even be a business opportunity there!). Meanwhile I'll spend my last 6 months in the UK eating as much as possible and trying to wean my toddler onto Tofu!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Where do you think new developments in the disciplines of nutrition and medicine come from? The nutrition and medicine fairies?

No my friend, they come from research scientists.
Yes and by Australian standards, a dietician has to have a Bachelors degree in science. You would have thought that these 'experts' who devised the CSIRO diet would have known that. Ah well, just one more reason to be sceptical of them.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goppie
Hi any vegetarians out there with information on good places to eat in Brisbane or surrounds
Hi Gopi,
There is a Govinda's restaurant opposite Myer Centre (99 Elizabeth Street) - part of the Hare Krishna chain. I hear food is good and incredibly cheap.

Hope this helps

Indie Girl
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a vegetarian myself, but I always liked this quote-

“You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.” -Harvey Diamond