Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VAT refund on purchases

VAT refund on purchases

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:56 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VAT refund on purchases

I am currently looking to buy a new laptop and one company has said that I can claim the tax back by getting a form stamped by customs on the way out to oz when I go at the end of the year.
Has anyone any experience of this and does it apply to any electrical purchases you make up to 3 months before you leave?
Cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep - bought a laptop back to NZ last Xmas & got the VAT back at Heathrow. Well worth doing - got approx £200 back. You don't get the full 17.5% as the company that administers the scheme takes an 'admin fee' so you actually get something like 15% back(bloody typical eh!).

Procedure very simple - buy goods at a retailer that participates in the VAT refund scheme. You have to pay the full price including VAT at the time of purchase. Complete VAT refund form at the shop at the time of purchase - Rememberto take your passport with you!!!

When you leave the UK, take the goods & completed form to the customs desk at the airport. Customs verify you are exporting the goods & stamp the form.

You've then got 2 options - post the stamped form back to globalrefund (who can then either credit the VAT minus an admin fee to a bank a/c or credit card) OR go to the globalrefund counter and get a cash refund there and then. If you do decide to post the form back, MAKE SURE! you take a photocopy of the stamped form before you post it - if the form gets lost in the post & you haven't got a copy, you Won't get a refund.

Have a look at globalrefunds site (they administer the UK scheme) www.globalrefund.co.uk

all the best

Russ
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Though this only applied if you werent a british restident?

Lynn
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:14 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info but I got this from the site and I think it pretty much puts the kybosh on my idea.

Q: If the customer is an EU resident who is moving to a non-EU destination for at least a year?
A: The customer can claim a refund in this case, a VAT 435 form must be used. The customer cannot take possession of the goods in the EU. The form and the goods must remain in the store. A shipping company must export the goods overseas and have the form certified by HM/EU Customs.

Too much hassle I think!