Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VAT Refund - Anyone done it?

VAT Refund - Anyone done it?

Old May 4th 2006, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Question VAT Refund - Anyone done it?

We've just bought a new washing machine and were thinking of claiming back the VAT as we're moving out of the EU. I realise there may be GST to pay but...

Anyway - has anyone done it and if so how?

Thanks
Old May 4th 2006, 9:04 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Refund - Anyone done it?

Originally Posted by marco121068
We've just bought a new washing machine and were thinking of claiming back the VAT as we're moving out of the EU. I realise there may be GST to pay but...

Anyway - has anyone done it and if so how?

Thanks
Tried to post you a direct link, but it won't work

So, follow these steps:
1. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk
2. Click on "Travel Information" in the box entitled "Individuals & employees"
3. Scroll down and click on "VAT refunds for visitors" (I know you're not a visitor, but trust me, it's the right section )
4. The page briefly lists the steps for getting a refund if you are "a UK resident emigrating from the European Community". And at the bottom is a link to Notice 704/1 which has detailed info.

I haven't checked whether you can actually reclaim VAT on a washing machine - you can read that for yourself

If you can't figure it out, phone the National Helpline: 0845 010 9000
They are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday.

Have never tried them myself, but if it's like the general tax helpline, use a phone with a re-dial button - it may take a while till you get through ...

Gina
Old May 5th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Refund - Anyone done it?

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Tried to post you a direct link, but it won't work

So, follow these steps:
1. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk
2. Click on "Travel Information" in the box entitled "Individuals & employees"
3. Scroll down and click on "VAT refunds for visitors" (I know you're not a visitor, but trust me, it's the right section )
4. The page briefly lists the steps for getting a refund if you are "a UK resident emigrating from the European Community". And at the bottom is a link to Notice 704/1 which has detailed info.

I haven't checked whether you can actually reclaim VAT on a washing machine - you can read that for yourself

If you can't figure it out, phone the National Helpline: 0845 010 9000
They are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday.

Have never tried them myself, but if it's like the general tax helpline, use a phone with a re-dial button - it may take a while till you get through ...

Gina
Thanks Gina

Having now fully read it - doesn't look like it can be done for "goods that will be exported as freight" which I assume is how HMRC would view white goods.

Also - just in case anyone wants to do it for say a laptop or similar - you need to get the documentation completed by the retailer when you buy it and can't be done retrospectively.

Oh well - it's only money