Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vat on Items from UK

Vat on Items from UK

Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:54 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Vat on Items from UK

HI all,
Just a quick question, Looking at buying an item from a shop in the UK and they say that they can't knock off the VAT as not set up for it. Now to me that sounds dodgy??? Does anyone know the rules on it. Where do you stand. Can I order and pay for the item then contact inland revenue in the UK and claim the money back myself??
Thanks in advance.
Gary
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vat on Items from UK

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
HI all,
Just a quick question, Looking at buying an item from a shop in the UK and they say that they can't knock off the VAT as not set up for it. Now to me that sounds dodgy??? Does anyone know the rules on it. Where do you stand. Can I order and pay for the item then contact inland revenue in the UK and claim the money back myself??
Thanks in advance.
Gary
More trouble than its worth for me, I just pay it. If you insist on it coming in tax free then Aus may find a way to charge GST instead........
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Can you find a different supplier, I've never found anyone that doesn't take the VAT off for export outside the EU? I think you may have difficulty reclaiming the VAT if you aren't taking it out of the country yourself.

If these are offering the best price phone around a few other companies telling them their price and get them to match it and the remove the VAT

If you go over the $1000 mark including VAT & shipping then you could end up liable for Oz import duties on top of the UK duties
HTH
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:29 am
ABCDiamond

HI all,
Thanks in advance.
Gary
The paperwork is a pain for a small shop that doesn't normally do it.

The shop has to get the special forms in, and I can't recall what else, but if it is a one off thing, it is easier for the shop to say too much trouble.

Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:58 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Thanks for the quick replys,
I will be using another shop to buy simular items, Its just a shame as I would of liked the item from that shop.
But hey its there loss!!!!
Gary
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:01 pm
ABCDiamond

But hey its there loss!!!!
Gary
Only if there was a decent enough profit in the item for them

Sometimes a shop will consider the profit margin, to the time involved in something like that paperwork, and decide it isn't worth it.