Various things

Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

BlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the rough
Smile Various things

Hello all,

Well the move is getting closer and we have a few questions we are hoping someone can help us with - thanks in advance to all those that reply.

* My wife and son only have 18 months left on their UK passport but obviously it contains the 5yr visa. So do we get new passports here in the UK before we go or can we do it easily in Oz? How do you get the visas transferred over to your new passport?

* With my new job I will need to use my own car for business, are there any tax breaks you can claim for doing this? Does it have to be a brand new car or can it be second-hand or alternatively is it more tax beneficial to lease a car?

* What are the best banks to pay your salary into so that you pay fewer charges for cheques, ATM etc?

Rather than clog up the board with quick thank you messages, can I say again my thanks in advance for all those that take the time to reply.

Thanks

Blue toffee

Ps Starting to get serious brown trousers now as the talking about emigrating is over, we are finally coming !
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Various things

Sorry I can't answer your questions. I have heard that AMZ is good for banking and I think that you only pay a flat fee each month and that covers all transactions rather than paying for them each individually.

I'm sure that someone else will be a lot more helpful than I can be.

Lots of luck for your move.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Various things

Hi

Cant answer your car tax question - but from investigation the best Oz bank account (my opinion) is HSBC Online Savings, it isnt a savings account as the name suggests but a current account, there are no monthly fees, unlimited HSBC ATM's five other bank ATM's EFTPOS (whatever that is), use post offices to pay in and withdraw cash FOC etc. You will need to be in Oz (unless you already bank with HSBC UK or First Direct) to open account with $2000 to deposit (which you can then promptly take out).

If you want to open account whilst in the UK and dont currently bank with HSBC, then open account initially with westpac (www.westpac.com.au) online, then verify id on arrival - then open HSBC account.

My passport expires apr 08 - dont have visa sticker yet but put the question to our agent (and oz friend) and told as app still ongoing not to change passport at this stage (would mean forms filling in etc) and although a little paperwork and patience needed (and more money) you can renew passports in Oz when they fall due - then get a new visa sticker put in while there.

Paula
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downies
Hi

Cant answer your car tax question - but from investigation the best Oz bank account (my opinion) is HSBC Online Savings, it isnt a savings account as the name suggests but a current account, there are no monthly fees, unlimited HSBC ATM's five other bank ATM's EFTPOS (whatever that is), use post offices to pay in and withdraw cash FOC etc. You will need to be in Oz (unless you already bank with HSBC UK or First Direct) to open account with $2000 to deposit (which you can then promptly take out).

If you want to open account whilst in the UK and dont currently bank with HSBC, then open account initially with westpac (www.westpac.com.au) online, then verify id on arrival - then open HSBC account.

My passport expires apr 08 - dont have visa sticker yet but put the question to our agent (and oz friend) and told as app still ongoing not to change passport at this stage (would mean forms filling in etc) and although a little paperwork and patience needed (and more money) you can renew passports in Oz when they fall due - then get a new visa sticker put in while there.

Paula
If you are going with HSBC check out where their branches are first - I've seen lots of people saying that there aren't that many around compared to others such as ANZ.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:40 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

We have a HSBC account which is great when transferring money from the UK as the fees are small if you have a First Direct Account. You don't really need a branch around as you can opt for 'cash out' when in a shop and take extra out. You just need to present the '100 points' when you get here to get your cheque book/ bank card etc. We got ours in Sydney even though we have since moved to Melbourne. You can't move branches like you do in the UK, it will always stay there.

We also have a ANZ account as we have always had seperate accounts for bills and spends. ANZ is great for everyday usage and would recommend them. We were really messed around with Commonwealth Bank but I'm sure thats just our experience.

With regards to the car. It depends on what type of business you have. Whether you have a 'Company' or whether you are 'self employed'. I do believe you get bigger tax breaks if you have a Ute. This is why they have brought out Utes with 2 rows of seats to fit the family in.

You only need to renew your passport if you plan to travel on it. You must transfer the VISA over to the new passport or carry the old one with you when you do this. My husbands expired about a year after we got here. He didn't replace it and now we are Australian Citizens he can just get an Australian one when we decide to travel overseas.

LJJ
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:59 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downies
Hi

Paula
I just opened an account from the U.K and had to pay $2000 and $1000, as the application forms asked for that. The have possibly opened 2 accounts, I think. One is a cheque and card account, and one is online savings, I think. It wasn't very clear on the app form, but I'm sure we'll receive more info once they are opened, in a couple of weeks.

If you have an HSBC acc in U.K ask them about opening an acc in Oz. They should then send a memo to the London (international) office, and they send the app forms to you.

Then you just go into your branch, and they help you complete the paperwork, certify your identification documents, make you a bankers draft in the Aus $, from the money which you should have in U.K account, (which they charge £20 for doing) and they send everything off for you.

Viola you have an Ozzy bank account or 2

The woman in the bank also said that opening an account this way, gives you financial credibility within Australia, which is good

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jun 29th 2006 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu

Viola you have an Ozzy bank account or 2
is that Viola from W Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:45 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
is that Viola from W Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"?
LOL!

Voila! even

It is a bit late for me
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
LOL!

Voila! even

It is a bit late for me
well, it's nearly time for morning tea here, thank god it's friday, only 7 hours left at work................
Old Jun 30th 2006, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlueToffee
Hello all,

Well the move is getting closer and we have a few questions we are hoping someone can help us with - thanks in advance to all those that reply.

* My wife and son only have 18 months left on their UK passport but obviously it contains the 5yr visa. So do we get new passports here in the UK before we go or can we do it easily in Oz? How do you get the visas transferred over to your new passport?

* With my new job I will need to use my own car for business, are there any tax breaks you can claim for doing this? Does it have to be a brand new car or can it be second-hand or alternatively is it more tax beneficial to lease a car?

* What are the best banks to pay your salary into so that you pay fewer charges for cheques, ATM etc?

Rather than clog up the board with quick thank you messages, can I say again my thanks in advance for all those that take the time to reply.

Thanks

Blue toffee

Ps Starting to get serious brown trousers now as the talking about emigrating is over, we are finally coming !
We recently bought a car second-hand (through lease to buy option) and despite having the cash to pay in full, it worked out cheaper through tax etc for us to pay it off. I don't know the ins and outs (I am just a woman after all) but it's to do with the savings on petrol, rego etc and my husbands tax and mileage and all that. My company also has this option now and so it seems to be getting quite popular. Perhaps someone can give you a little more details but yes, I believe it is possible.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

My answers in CAPS below.

Cheers

Paul

Originally Posted by BlueToffee
Hello all,

EASY TO GET NEW UK PASSPORTS HERE IN AUSTRALIA. VISAS CAN THEN BE MOVED TO NEW PASSPORTS FREE OF CHARGE (DID NOT CHARGE ME ANYWAY) OR YOU CAN CARRY ON CARRYING YOUR OLD PASSPORT WITH YOU WHEN YOU TRAVEL AS ALTHOUGH THE PASSPORT HAS EXPIRED THE VISA IS STILL VALID.

YOU CAN CLAIM TAX BREAKS FOR BUSINESS USE OF CAR AND IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS NEW OR USED AS FAR AS I AM AWARE, ALTHOUGH THE WAY YOU CLAIM AND THE EXTENT OF THE TAX BREAK MAY VARY. LEASING IS QUITE POPULAR WITH PEOPLE AND YOU CAN "SALARY PACKAGE" YOUR VEHICLE.

I USE HSBC BUT THERE ARE ONLY 2 BRANCHES IN PERTH BUT ALL EFTPOS TRANSACTIONS ARE ALSO FREE OF CHARGE AND MOST OUTLETS ALLOW YOU TO TAKE CASH BACK. YOU CAN ALSO DRAW MONEY FROM ANY AUSTRALIA POST OFFICE, PLUS YOU GET 4 (I THINK) FREE WITHDRAWS PER MONTH FROM NON HSBC ATMs. IF YOU WILL BE GETTING A HOMELOAN YOU CAN GET GOOD DEALS WITH MANY OF THE AUSSIE BANKS IN TERMS OF LOW/NO FEES.hsbc FOR INSTANCE ALLOW UNLIMITED USE OF NON HSBC ATMS IF YOU TAKE CERTAIN HOMELOAN PRODUCTS WITH THEM

Thanks

Blue toffee