Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vandalism on schools

Vandalism on schools

Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Vandalism on schools

There seems to have been a spate of vandalism at schools by us. This weekend there were 34 broken windows, last weekend Quinns School was targeted, over the holidays both were as well as Mindarie Senior High along with a break in at our school and broken windows at various others.

This "tagging" lark is also very popular, a tag being an individuals own mark but when a tag is linked to an individual they can get off by saying they have "allowed" others to use it!

The teacher said they know who is responsible but it's a case of catching them red handed.

I was wondering if any other areas Australia wide had this or are we going through a bad patch.

Di
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vandalism on schools

Originally posted by DianeOZ
There seems to have been a spate of vandalism at schools by us. This weekend there were 34 broken windows, last weekend Quinns School was targeted, over the holidays both were as well as Mindarie Senior High along with a break in at our school and broken windows at various others.

This "tagging" lark is also very popular, a tag being an individuals own mark but when a tag is linked to an individual they can get off by saying they have "allowed" others to use it!

The teacher said they know who is responsible but it's a case of catching them red handed.

I was wondering if any other areas Australia wide had this or are we going through a bad patch.

Di
There was some really sick stuff at one of the primary schools here , they got chickens for the kids to study eggs, growing veg etc, caring for animals etc. Kids got in at night and chopped the chooks heads off splattered blood everywhere, bloody awful as kids saw the mess on the Monday morning before they cordoned it all off. Then kids got in and smashed up one classroom then pulled all the lights down from the walkways. Anyway, now security patrols have gone in, and signs up that out of school hours being in the grounds is trespassing, I guess that should help?

Funny one tho was the graffiti at a school here not known for being a well, posh area. I had to go out there one week to help with a a reading course, it was mind boggling, the phrases and diagrams in the walkway were far worse than anything Ive seen anywhere. London kids seem innocent compared to this. Diagrams I could never have imagined from primary school kids. I just cant believe they had not cleaned it off!! taught me some new stuff I can tell you. :scared:
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Di, you missed it in the avatar thread the other night, but I have your piccy if you want it back again.

(& just to keep the thread on topic! ) Some areas in Brisbane are quite bad for vandalism & graffiti etc, our school doesnt seem badly affected by it luckily (so far anyway, touch wood, only a very very small amount of tagging)
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Oohh yes pls. I did miss the thread...

God, Dotty that chook story is awful. I'm sure surveylance and security guards will help lots but it's all money out of the schools
budget isn't it?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go
Oooops wrong one hang on
OK thats the right one now

Dotty, thats sick.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 17th 2004 at 3:33 am.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

It's certainly a problem in SA. Schools are often attacked by arsenists during holidays.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In the UK it depends on where you live. Mum teaches in a nice Surrey area and graffiti is not an issue but go up to London or a less salubrious area of Woking and you get the same old crap.

I like the idea of the Graffiti wall at Bondi although it hasn't prevented all unwanted graffiti.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Mrs D! Got my boy back!

Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

My daughters school, which is next to Mindarie Senior, was hit over he weekend. The senior block which is brand new, finished over the holidays, had loads of windows smashed, at least one in each class. The rocks/bricks they'd used had even chipped a bit bit of plaster off the inside wall it had hit. However, they caught the culprits & they are students at the school. Wonder if they are still are??

One of my daughters "friends" said to her there never used to be all this vandalism & grafitti & it's because of all the Poms here! Hmmmmmmm
Loopy
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
There was some really sick stuff at one of the primary schools here , they got chickens for the kids to study eggs, growing veg etc, caring for animals etc. Kids got in at night and chopped the chooks heads off splattered blood everywhere, bloody awful as kids saw the mess on the Monday morning before they cordoned it all off.
A primary school in Margatet River had some piglets on their little farm attacked by some knife wielding nutter last week.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Some morons thought it was funny to run over or mow down little/ blue/ fairy penguins in Oamaru the other month - got about 6 of them. Trouble is, you can start driving alone in NZ when you're 15 so there must be some immature kids out there.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:21 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ

Di
Oh.. Nothing like that in Ellenbrook ....... To far for them to travel!!

I've not noticed any stuff like that here but we have a security parol person who drives around here 24 hrs a day (not the same man obviously!) So maybe that helps?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:18 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Sadly this sort of thing happens everywhere and it's normally pupils and ex pupils doing it. My school is a complete wreck, graffiti broken windows. They pull up all our flowers and don't even take them. One of our own kids took a teacher's mobile phone out of her bag 2 weeks ago. Thankfully these people only make up a small percentage and we have some really nice kids and families in our school.
A school about 2 miles away hadn't even opened, it was a completely new build. The night before it opened a gang smashed every window in the place, the children had to have another week off school for it all to be put right. Lots of bragging went on but there was never enough evidence for the police to do anything about it. It's all very sad really.

Sarah