Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vandalism in Perth, WA

Vandalism in Perth, WA

Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Vandalism in Perth, WA

I had just received a letter from my settlement agent regarding the title of the land last week. I was thrilled and decided to drive over to Brigthon Estate to view the land that I have purchased. To my horror, I saw grafitti being sprayed on the stone partition that separate the blocks. Even the pavements along the road and the surface of the road itself are not spared. I could not anticipate what to expect being a recent migrant to this country. My questions are as follows:

1. Is this a common occurance in new estates?
2. I believe the land developer will bear the cost of the clean up... am I right??
3. Will these irresponsible arseholes start spraying the houses too when construction begin??

My block was spared as it is on level ground with just a level of stone partition. However, I am worried that what happened to the surrounding blocks will tarnish the value of the entire 'release'.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Vandalism in Perth, WA

Originally Posted by dave_wong
I had just received a letter from my settlement agent regarding the title of the land last week. I was thrilled and decided to drive over to Brigthon Estate to view the land that I have purchased. To my horror, I saw grafitti being sprayed on the stone partition that separate the blocks. Even the pavements along the road and the surface of the road itself are not spared. I could not anticipate what to expect being a recent migrant to this country. My questions are as follows:

2. I believe the land developer will bear the cost of the clean up... am I right??
3. Will these irresponsible arseholes start spraying the houses too when construction begin??

My block was spared as it is on level ground with just a level of stone partition. However, I am worried that what happened to the surrounding blocks will tarnish the value of the entire 'release'.

Grafitti is common all over Perth (just look at the windows on the trains).

2. I believe the land developer will bear the cost of the clean up... am right??

This is usually the case. In Brighton there are volunteers who clear up after the idiots have gone.

I'll need a crystal ball for this one !
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Afraid we do get quite a bit of graffitti...little shites that they are!!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

Paint spraying one of my pet hates about Australia along with the abandoned shopping trolleys. I live over on the East Coast, quite in the country and any spare piece of public wall, building etc has some sort of scrawl on it. The good thing is that they dont tend to spray peoples private property so you will probably find once your house is complete it will be left alone. The law definately needs to come down a lot harder on these irresponsible kids but when you ask around the locals just seem to accept it as normal.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's worse in the outer suburbs.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We are building up there, too and have seen the amount of graffiti. We went up to our block this morning and I took photos of all of it to send to Satterley. I told the women at the sales office about it 2 weeks ago and she said they would have someone out to clean it off right away.

Where's your block, Dave? We're on Melvich Green.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We are building up there, too and have seen the amount of graffiti. We went up to our block this morning and I took photos of all of it to send to Satterley. I told the women at the sales office about it 2 weeks ago and she said they would have someone out to clean it off right away.

Where's your block, Dave? We're on Melvich Green.
Hi. We are along Otley Lane. I was there this morning too. Pity those who bought the elevated blocks along the park. Those grafitties will be damn hard to clean up.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately graffiti is a problem everywhere these days. I always think if you have a nice brick wall or nice wooden fence put a climbing rose on it deters the irresponsible ah.

I just wish they would ban the sale of spray paint. Where I live its bad at the moment and it seems to come in waves sometimes there is none and sometimes its bad and its bad at present around the town and yes they do spray peoples houses sometimes. I live on the fringes so it really does not affect our property.

We do not have any police presence at all here so there is no deterrent.

When houses used to be built they were just built and no problems, now they have to put fences around them to protect the windows, also the builder will not put in the appliances till just before hand over as they get pinched.

Last edited by Petals; Nov 16th 2008 at 9:22 pm. Reason: addition
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Where Dave and I are talking about is a brand new development which at the moment is nothing but cleared land and retaining walls. It's kind of in the middle of nothing, so there aren't even neighbours to report it; just us landowners who go up to their blocks every now and then.

Hey, Dave. Did you notice they planted all new trees on the verges? Kind of stupid if you ask me. How did they know where all the driveways were going? Where they planted the one on our lot is very close to the edge of our driveway.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of WA is plagued with graffiti.
Im on a big new estate (half my street hasnt been built).
We dont have any graffiti on the estate.
Also very little in town, Its rare to find it.

Its a welcome change as when living in Eastern Europe it was on everything. Spoilt beautiful old architecture.

Im in a big rural town North of Perth.
Also didnt see much of it when I was living 9hours from Perth.

So maybe its more of a problem in the city.

Gems
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:10 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by Gems
Not all of WA is plagued with graffiti.
Im on a big new estate (half my street hasnt been built).
We dont have any graffiti on the estate.
Also very little in town, Its rare to find it.

Its a welcome change as when living in Eastern Europe it was on everything. Spoilt beautiful old architecture.

Im in a big rural town North of Perth.
Also didnt see much of it when I was living 9hours from Perth.

So maybe its more of a problem in the city.

Gems
I really think it is more a problem in the cities. And the outer suburbs seem to be hit hardest, IMO.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

I really think it is more a problem in the cities. And the outer suburbs seem to be hit hardest, IMO.
Ive noticed the standard of toilets in perth NOR and SOR in fast food places leaves a lot to be desired .i found Bunbury to be as bad or even worse.Staffing is a major problem in thease places,but looking at the big picture there has been more jobs avaliable than people.So it is a small price to pay for a booming economy.When we see perfectly clean toilets in macca's and out of work tradies serving you that could be a bad sign
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
So it is a small price to pay for a booming economy.When we see perfectly clean toilets in macca's and out of work tradies serving you that could be a bad sign
Formerly booming economy. Expect to see gleaming Maccas bogs in 2009.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Hey, Dave. Did you notice they planted all new trees on the verges? Kind of stupid if you ask me. How did they know where all the driveways were going? Where they planted the one on our lot is very close to the edge of our driveway.
Well! I guess they will have to remove it and replant again later. BTW, I have sent an email to Heinz yesterday with regards to the issue. Midge replied today and advised me that she has forwarded the letter to a Sean (project mgr) as he is the best person to answer my questions in relation to the vandalised walls and the party (ies) to be held responsible for the clean-up. If I do not hear from Sean in the next couple of days, I will drop a note to Nigel directly. Brighton is a nice place to live if you ask me.... It was love at first sight for me. I was facinated with the thought that Satterley had put into the project. Just look at the lake, the playground, and other amenities. It was very well thought of, if you ask me. However, the good things are marred by grafitties on the wall contributed by those irresponsible people.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:45 am
Still alive

Well! I guess they will have to remove it and replant again later. BTW, I have sent an email to Heinz yesterday with regards to the issue. Midge replied today and advised me that she has forwarded the letter to a Sean (project mgr) as he is the best person to answer my questions in relation to the vandalised walls and the party (ies) to be held responsible for the clean-up. If I do not hear from Sean in the next couple of days, I will drop a note to Nigel directly. Brighton is a nice place to live if you ask me.... It was love at first sight for me. I was facinated with the thought that Satterley had put into the project. Just look at the lake, the playground, and other amenities. It was very well thought of, if you ask me. However, the good things are marred by grafitties on the wall contributed by those irresponsible people.
I've met the couple who are building across from us and I think if we get enough people involved we could put some pressure on Satterley to keep the graffiti cleaned off as the idiots do it. We go up just about every Sunday morning for coffee at the Blue Cube. We'll have to meet up sometime for a coffee.

I agree with your assessment of the suburb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.