Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs Sydney (Impractically Speaking)

Vancouver vs Sydney (Impractically Speaking)

Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Default Vancouver vs Sydney (Impractically Speaking)

I know this seems to be an ongoing debate on here since the dawn of emigration, but most peoples opinions are based solely on the practical side of things. I'm currently in Vancouver and intend to start my PR process soon to move to Sydney. Once a week I seem to have doubts as to whether I want to leave Vancouver and I start looking online for reasons to go to Sydney or stay in Vancouver. I spent 8 months in Sydney whilst backpacking and worked there and completely fell in love with it.

My question to you all is, if you take away all the practical things - economy, cost of living, etc - and you're left with just the magic of the city and its surrounding area, which would you choose?

Vancouver for me is visually amazing. This summer has been epic for nice weather and I'm willing to put up with the rain through the winter to have such easy access to snowboarding. Being so close to everything in BC is a massive bonus as well. Activity wise, it wins hands down. Everything from kayaking to mountain biking to snowboarding. The cons are pretty big though. The homeless issue is a big deal for me. They're literally everywhere and there seems to be no help for them in site. As amazing as the natural backdrop is I feel it is a let down architecturally compared to most big cities.

Sydney is like an exciting, secret love affair for me. I seem to be in love with it for all the wrong reasons. I love the fact that it is an epic distance away from everything and upside down, it feels like you're on another planet. I love having christmas in the heat and heading to the beach. I love the crystal clear waters, the awesome architecture and the immense energy I get from the city that I just haven't found anywhere else. I like the fact they have rugby and there is a big electronic music scene, which is quite important to me. The cons for me are that there is no snowboarding, but I can live with this and learn to surf instead. The natural setting isn't as immense as Vancouver and you don't have the same richness of things to do in NSW as you do in BC. I find the city a lot less activity driven than Vancouver, but that could just be my own experience at the time.

So that is my case for both in a purely non-family, non-financial, impratical point of view. Anyone else care to give their own case for either city without practicalness? I'm curious to see why people fall in love with either of these cities?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:16 pm
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice
Default Re: Vancouver vs Sydney (Impractically Speaking)

I'm the opposite, many times I've fantasied about heading to Vancouver for the reasons you've already stated, especially the proximity to all things, snow being top of my list, but so far hasn't come off. Hadn't thought about homeless population, just romanticised, rosy glassess of work & snow play all the time.

I'm not sure which architecture you're referring to in Sydney, but you can still snowboard in NSW you know, down in the snowy mountains, we usually go every year. It's not the same kind of snow (for those that know their snow) and they blow heaps but it's passable and a day's drive from Sydney, 6 hours, so you could do a weekend if pushed. Or a week which is what we do.

Maybe we should house swap LOL
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

I guess it's one of those "grass is always greener" situations. Vancouver is an awesome city and the surroundings really make it what it is. I've just this moment bought a season pass for one of the local mountains as well, which makes me realise why I love this city so much. I knew about the snowys in NSW but I thought that after spending a season in Whistler I might be disappointed with expecting too much from the snow in Australia.

I guess I also romanticise Sydney quite a lot Are you Australian or British expat? How long have you lived in Sydney for?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:40 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonfiction
I guess it's one of those "grass is always greener" situations. Vancouver is an awesome city and the surroundings really make it what it is. I've just this moment bought a season pass for one of the local mountains as well, which makes me realise why I love this city so much. I knew about the snowys in NSW but I thought that after spending a season in Whistler I might be disappointed with expecting too much from the snow in Australia.

I guess I also romanticise Sydney quite a lot Are you Australian or British expat? How long have you lived in Sydney for?
Yes theres snow fields in southern NSW but they would'nt be as good as the ones in Canada, but New Zealand would probably come close to being as good.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:06 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonfiction
I knew about the snowys in NSW but I thought that after spending a season in Whistler I might be disappointed with expecting too much from the snow in Australia. you absolutely would be disappointed as I am.. but with nothing else I make the most of it

BE & over here in Sydney a few years now. Love my area but don't have to travel into the city for work. Love the beaches & countless places for a holiday or quick break away.
But hand on heart I'd rather be skiing more than one week a year....I'm so jealous.

Love Big White & Banff BC snow...