Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Valuables - how to ship

Valuables - how to ship

Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:50 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Valuables - how to ship

How did people ship valuables, really old photo originals and/or other small sentimental stuff you couldn't bear to lose.

In the container
In the check in luggage
On your person/carry on - dont fancy if we're doing a stop over
DHL type service, insured. Can still get lost. OH doesnt like the idea, cos insurance can't replace memories.

Don't know what to do. Haven't got much, so looking after its never been a problem before, but it's irreplaceable.

Couldnt care less about pcs and other expensive stuff, as long as its insured.

Any experience to offer?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Valuables - how to ship

I am pondering over this one too

I have 3 "keepsake" boxes that are irreplaceable (wedding one, my sons and my daughters)...

All the stuff in them (newspapers from the day they were born, first drawings, outfits they came home from hospital in, greetings cards, first shoes, school reports etc etc,) are sentimental and literally one offs.. I can not replace nor duplicate them..

So?! What to do?!!

Originally I thought, leave with a good friend until we have our permanent address and then courier it out?! But my OH reckons that it is a better bet to put them in our container as losing a 20ft container will be a lot harder to achieve than losing a box amongst other boxes in a container full of boxes... and, as he pointed out, they are both tracked..

I am seriously thinking about putting it in our container.. I think it has better survival odds...

What about everyone else??

Em x
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Valuables - how to ship

sorry - not very clear... I meant it is harder to lose our container than a simple box via a courier company...!

Em x