Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Valuable work experience during working holiday

Valuable work experience during working holiday

Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

justmedeamarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valuable work experience during working holiday

This is literally my last year to apply for a working holiday, I don't want to miss out on the opportunity but I am worried about spending a year away and not advancing in my career. At the moment I'm at a transition period anyway in the sense that I would like to slightly change the direction of my career into what could be considered to be a more niche area (Digital marketing/Social Media - particularly working in an agency environment. This isn't strayed to far from what I do now as a Community Manager, but I work in-house for a small startup and haven't handled communication/social media for larger clients/brands).

So, my question is can you truly gain valuable work experience during a working holiday? Given that we can only work with any one employer for a period of 6mths. I want to know from others experience is the whole working holiday visa thing a bit of a taboo in the minds of employers and is there many short-term opportunities? I have visited Melbourne once and would love to go back, but would also consider living in Sydney for part of my 12mths. Or is it just generally, fruit picking, bar work and what ever else you can find?

Any help/suggestions/thoughts would be welcomed!

Last edited by justmedeamarie; Feb 20th 2013 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Ask another question
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Valuable work experience during working holiday

Originally Posted by justmedeamarie
Or is it just generally, fruit picking, bar work and what ever else you can find?
Yes. Many people find short term office contracts eg secretarial, admin etc.

You are extremely unlikely to get a job with many responsibilities and opportunities to advance as every employer knows you will have to move on at the end of your 6 months.

BB
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valuable work experience during working holiday

Originally Posted by justmedeamarie
This is literally my last year to apply for a working holiday, I don't want to miss out on the opportunity but I am worried about spending a year away and not advancing in my career. At the moment I'm at a transition period anyway in the sense that I would like to slightly change the direction of my career into what could be considered to be a more niche area (Digital marketing/Social Media - particularly working in an agency environment. This isn't strayed to far from what I do now as a Community Manager, but I work in-house for a small startup and haven't handled communication/social media for larger clients/brands).

So, my question is can you truly gain valuable work experience during a working holiday? Given that we can only work with any one employer for a period of 6mths. I want to know from others experience is the whole working holiday visa thing a bit of a taboo in the minds of employers and is there many short-term opportunities? I have visited Melbourne once and would love to go back, but would also consider living in Sydney for part of my 12mths. Or is it just generally, fruit picking, bar work and what ever else you can find?

Any help/suggestions/thoughts would be welcomed!
I worked in electrical design for ABB in Sydney during my working holiday, so it can be done. I'm fortunate though to work in an area that tends to always have a skills shortage - wherever I am in the world.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Valuable work experience during working holiday

Thanks for your advice guys, I appreciate it!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would be very fortunate to get the work you want to do next and particularly the slight change in career direction whilst whilst on a WHV.

You should consider would you be happy for this to be a career break and then resume with your career plans when you go back? If you are not happy with that then to be honest, I would not do it, have a holiday instead. You sound career minded, gaps are not always good for careers.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks @Berumudashorts, if truth be told this is exactly what I suspected. It's a difficult decision to make when you have this ticking time bomb (age restriction on WHV), however I realise I need to be smart and started to think that there are alternative options that will eventually meet the same end goal. For instance, if I work hard and further my career, I could take a sabbitical at some point and travel for a few mths or I could join a creative agency that has offices both in London and Australia and get the opportunity to visit who knows! I'm not ruling anything out atm, I still have some time before that bomb goes off!