Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validation Trip Luggage Allowance

Validation Trip Luggage Allowance

Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Validation Trip Luggage Allowance

We've been advised that when we make our validation trip to Brisbane over Xmas that we must advise our airline (singapore) that we are not emigrating 'just yet' and that we will be coming back, in order to ensure that we do not use up our extra (emigration) luggage allowance during this trip

They said that once we check-in for the validation trip flight and the check-in assistant sees our passports with visas inside, they will presume we are emigrating 'now' and therefore allocate us the additional luggage allowance

I can't see this happening myself as it will be clear from the tickets that they are return flights and should only entitle us to a 'normal' luggage allowance

Has anybody heard of this nonsense before?

Cheers
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation Trip Luggage Allowance

Originally Posted by tictac
We've been advised that when we make our validation trip to Brisbane over Xmas that we must advise our airline (singapore) that we are not emigrating 'just yet' and that we will be coming back, in order to ensure that we do not use up our extra (emigration) luggage allowance during this trip

They said that once we check-in for the validation trip flight and the check-in assistant sees our passports with visas inside, they will presume we are emigrating 'now' and therefore allocate us the additional luggage allowance

I can't see this happening myself as it will be clear from the tickets that they are return flights and should only entitle us to a 'normal' luggage allowance

Has anybody heard of this nonsense before?

Cheers
The extra allowance - for those lucky enough to get it these days - usually reuqires both an unvalidated visa, and a one-way ticket. You are unlikely to get the extra allowance when you emigrate later, as your visa has already been validated, although you might be able to grovel to the airline at the time when you actually move
Very few airlines do the extra allowance now, and I forsee it disappearing altogether before long.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Validation Trip Luggage Allowance

I keep banging on about this - just fly via the US where you get 46kg - 64kg per person, every time you fly, no matter what visa you are on.

Simple.

Buzzy
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I keep banging on about this - just fly via the US where you get 46kg - 64kg per person, every time you fly, no matter what visa you are on.

Simple.

Buzzy

I can't see my kids hauling around 64Kg of luggage somehow

;-)
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see my kids hauling around 64Kg of luggage somehow

;-)
You don't have to take the full 64kg! It's just three times as great as the 20kg via the East everyone gets hung up about.

Buzzy
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:40 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

You don't have to take the full 64kg! It's just three times as great as the 20kg via the East everyone gets hung up about.

Buzzy
Are you sure its not 32kg per piece - this is the max H&S allow baggage handlers to take? You still have to leave the UK somehow so unless you pick up stuff on the way in the US there is no way check will allow more that 32kg per bag.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by mark213
Are you sure its not 32kg per piece - this is the max H&S allow baggage handlers to take? You still have to leave the UK somehow so unless you pick up stuff on the way in the US there is no way check will allow more that 32kg per bag.
Correct.

But you are allowed 2 bags each = 64kg each.

Buzzy
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Simple.

Buzzy
Yep - totally agree. OK - so it might take a little longer - but why not break the trip up and stop off someplace?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marco121068
Yep - totally agree. OK - so it might take a little longer - but why not break the trip up and stop off someplace?
Because after a MAN-LHR-HKG-PER-BNE-SYD-LAX-JFK-LHR-MAN in March 2006, followed by a MAN-LHR-SIN-BNE-SIN-LHR-MAN in December 2006...

....we're kinda done with the stop-offs for a while!

MAN-BNE in 2007, when we move for good, would be perfect - with or without the extra weight allowance!!

Thanks for the info though

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Because after a MAN-LHR-HKG-PER-BNE-SYD-LAX-JFK-LHR-MAN in March 2006, followed by a MAN-LHR-SIN-BNE-SIN-LHR-MAN in December 2006...

....we're kinda done with the stop-offs for a while!

MAN-BNE in 2007, when we move for good, would be perfect - with or without the extra weight allowance!!

Thanks for the info though

Cheers
But how about all those nice South Pacific Islands?

That's one helluva trip. I can see why you'd want to get straight there.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Simple.

Buzzy
I do too. It's by far the most simple method of taking loads of stuff with you. Unfortunately, many people are so intent on flying through Asia, that they just ignore this sort of sage advice.

S