Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validation trip in April

Validation trip in April

Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Validation trip in April

Hiya everyone

We are validating our visas in April and are going to Brisbane for 3 weeks.
My husband and I were chatting about what needs to be done on this trip as well as just holidaying.
We thought about opening a bank account but is it really worth it unless you are actually making the permanent move? (this will not happen until at least September). Can you open one on a validation trip anyway?

I have contacted the school in the area we hope to move to eventually to see if they will let us have a look round. I thought this would be good for our kids to see what they are moving to.

Can anyone suggest other things we should be possibly arranging on our trip?

Thanks
Jo
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Validation trip in April

We opened a bank account in OZ 2 years and glad we did, you have to pay to keep it open every month but its worth it as you have OZ ID etc.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:12 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
Hiya everyone

We are validating our visas in April and are going to Brisbane for 3 weeks.
My husband and I were chatting about what needs to be done on this trip as well as just holidaying.
We thought about opening a bank account but is it really worth it unless you are actually making the permanent move? (this will not happen until at least September). Can you open one on a validation trip anyway?

I have contacted the school in the area we hope to move to eventually to see if they will let us have a look round. I thought this would be good for our kids to see what they are moving to.

Can anyone suggest other things we should be possibly arranging on our trip?

Thanks
Jo

We have just come back from validating and we visited school, opened a bank account, viewed lots of house's and visited some hospitals where i could potentially work.

Do as much as you can.........
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:00 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough

I would advise opening a bank account, as it makes things easier when you want to transfer funds through companies like HIFX. I certainly found it useful, having opened an account on our validation trip last year.

Someone else on here will probably know better than I but I believe it's worth checking out what sort of ID the banks will accept when opening the account. I understand they can be quite strict about this.

Enjoy your trip!

CMR
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:05 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMR View Post
I would advise opening a bank account, as it makes things easier when you want to transfer funds through companies like HIFX. I certainly found it useful, having opened an account on our validation trip last year.

Someone else on here will probably know better than I but I believe it's worth checking out what sort of ID the banks will accept when opening the account. I understand they can be quite strict about this.

Enjoy your trip!

CMR
Just your passport is all they need
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:12 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie View Post
Just your passport is all they need
If you have a recent entry stamp on your passport that is all the points you need to open an acount.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
If you have a recent entry stamp on your passport that is all the points you need to open an acount.
When we spoke to westpac last year - they said so long as you open your account within 1 or 2 weeks (can't remember which) you can open an account with just your passport
Niz
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your help.

Can I ask another silly question? Am I right in thinking that you only need your passports containing PR stickers and flight tickets when you check-in. There is no other paperwork we need to take such as the visa approval letter from DIMIA (or whoever they are now) or anything else?

Jo
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
Am I right in thinking that you only need your passports containing PR stickers and flight tickets when you check-in.
Correct. Passports must of course be valid.

If you are planning to stop over in the Far East make sure your passports have at least 6 months remaining.