Validation tips

Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Validation tips

leading on from my last post about the visa validation requirements, does anyone have any tips regarding their validation visit. things they wish they had done when the made their validation trip?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Validation tips

Originally Posted by clandfam
leading on from my last post about the visa validation requirements, does anyone have any tips regarding their validation visit. things they wish they had done when the made their validation trip?
Hi,

With the stresses of doing up and trying to sell houses at the moment, as well as work, we made the decision to treat our validation trip as a 'HOLIDAY' to Perth (2½ weeks to go ), as we have already done the 'Fact Finding' trip to Melbourne.

Hubby has booked hotels, tours and a surprise :scared:

Can't wait

BB
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Get a PO Box so you have somewhere to redirect your mail to.

If private schooling is going to be an option, find out the good ones and get your kids on their waiting lists ASAP.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:49 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

FWIW...

Personally, I found it very useful to stay in a 'serviced' apartment, rather than a hotel. This gave us far more of a feel for the business of buying food and cooking it - and trying out all the different wines at non-restaurant prices! We also had to buy 'boring stuff' such as loo rolls, washing powder, cleaning materials etc so could see what was on offer here. Thus we got to discover what you can/can't buy in typical Aussie supermarkets and speciality shops, what electrical goods/kitchen stuff we might have wanted to bring etc.

I made a list of things we would typically want to buy (eg bedlinen, clothes, cars, houses, furniture etc) and we went and looked to see what those goods were like and what they cost here. This meant I could create an accurate budget for the cost of the move and see what was cheaper in the UK & thus worth bringing.

I also went for some interviews :scared: just to see what the market for my skills was like - but we also did some holiday-ish things too!

Personally, I think validation trips are hugely valuable in providing a comfort factor. Our trip lasted about a month, then we spent 2 months back in the Uk selling up etc before finally leaving the UK. By the time we flew back into Tullamarine, I had a strong feeling that I was 'coming home', which *really* helped with getting settled.

Best of luck with the trip - and make sure you do some fun touristy things, too!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible (or worthwhile) to get a Tax File Number, register with Medicare, take the Oz driving test when on your validation trip?

We will be in Brisbane for 18 days, and then hope to make the move permanent in May 2005.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

We should have gone to where we are thinking of moving (Perth, Brisbane or Cairns !) rather than spending 2 weeks with my cousin's family as they live outside Melbourne and we aren't going there.
Love em to bits but they don't seem to have integrated into Oz life at all, don't seem to have many aussie mates and seem to generally bitch about australia and australians!

Hasn't put us off though!

Did get a feel for oz living though by staying in their house, swimming in their pool, eating their food etc.!!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible (or worthwhile) to get a Tax File Number, register with Medicare, take the Oz driving test when on your validation trip?

We will be in Brisbane for 18 days, and then hope to make the move permanent in May 2005.
Don't know about the driving test; Medicare - probably yes, as you will have validated the visa and thats what matters. however, it can takea couple of weeks for your details to appear on their computer.
TFN - yes, as soon as you have validated your visa you can apply for it - can be done online, but you need to have validated or it gives you a "go away" message!!!
https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1