Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validation/Recce Trip

Validation/Recce Trip

Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Default Validation/Recce Trip

Hi y'all
We're off to Brisbane to have a shufti and get our Visa's validated at the end of this month.

I'd like some tips as to what is regarded as essential to get done during the first trip.

First, is there anything required in terms of validating the Visa aprt from maybe having it stamped on entry? e.g. do we have to visit any Government office or anything?

Second, I read somewhere on here about paying over the odds for medicare if you're over 45 (40?), but that this can be circumvented if you take out a policy within 12 months of validation (or is it grant of Visa?).

Third, do we need to get Tax File Reference numbers sorted out on this visit, or will that just complicate tax matters between Oz and the UK? (We'll probably be abck in the UK fro several months before finally moving out)

Fourth, bank accounts - sort them out on the recce and leave them dormant, or wait until we;re there for good?

Fifthe etc., anything else anyone can suggest that we should be thinking about on this trip!

TIA
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:12 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation/Recce Trip

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Hi y'all
We're off to Brisbane to have a shufti and get our Visa's validated at the end of this month.

I'd like some tips as to what is regarded as essential to get done during the first trip.

First, is there anything required in terms of validating the Visa aprt from maybe having it stamped on entry? e.g. do we have to visit any Government office or anything?

Second, I read somewhere on here about paying over the odds for medicare if you're over 45 (40?), but that this can be circumvented if you take out a policy within 12 months of validation (or is it grant of Visa?).

Third, do we need to get Tax File Reference numbers sorted out on this visit, or will that just complicate tax matters between Oz and the UK? (We'll probably be abck in the UK fro several months before finally moving out)

Fourth, bank accounts - sort them out on the recce and leave them dormant, or wait until we;re there for good?

Fifthe etc., anything else anyone can suggest that we should be thinking about on this trip!

TIA
Hi Tia

1) Visa validated on entry into Oz no need to visit any Govt dept.

2)Don't know

3)You can sort your Tax file number out when you get back to UK by doing it online but you do need an Aussie address (ie the place where you will be staying when you first get there permanently)

4)We opened a bank account with Suncorp when we went on holiday with no problems but check the charges they can be fierce

5) ENJOY YOURSELVES....................loads to see, don't miss out by just doing the 'sorting out' stuff.

Have a great trip.

Loz x
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

We just upped and left, so no recce etc, but here's my two-penneth worth!

No, just go through the normal queue. If you're lucky the person will notice it's your first time in and say welcome to Oz. If not, they'll just wave you through!

No idea. You might get some clue from the medicare website.

I'd leave it. It only takes a couple of weeks, and your employer will wait for it, so it's not a big deal. It would probably just confuse the tax office and they'd probably try to make you do tax returns or something!

I'm not sure. You need to do an ID check when you open one which involves address info, so you may struggle. I'd certainly recommend looking into it though, and if you do get one make sure it doesn't have a monthly fee!!

TIA
You're already way more organised than we were! The only other thing I can think of is that if you're looking into the Medicare question also look into health insurance - it's pretty much a requirement over here and if medicare have rules about your age you can bet your bottom dollar the insurers do too!

Good luck, and have a great time. Try and have a holiday too
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thribble
We just upped and left, so no recce etc, but here's my two-penneth worth!

No, just go through the normal queue. If you're lucky the person will notice it's your first time in and say welcome to Oz. If not, they'll just wave you through!

No idea. You might get some clue from the medicare website.

I'd leave it. It only takes a couple of weeks, and your employer will wait for it, so it's not a big deal. It would probably just confuse the tax office and they'd probably try to make you do tax returns or something!

I'm not sure. You need to do an ID check when you open one which involves address info, so you may struggle. I'd certainly recommend looking into it though, and if you do get one make sure it doesn't have a monthly fee!!

You're already way more organised than we were! The only other thing I can think of is that if you're looking into the Medicare question also look into health insurance - it's pretty much a requirement over here and if medicare have rules about your age you can bet your bottom dollar the insurers do too!

Good luck, and have a great time. Try and have a holiday too
Thanks all. I suspect that I really meant to ask about medical insurance rather than Medicare!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Re the opening of a bank account. With a fresh entry stamp in your passport that gives you enough ID to open one. Its a good idea, as then you have one here to transfer money into when you are ready to move
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Re the opening of a bank account. With a fresh entry stamp in your passport that gives you enough ID to open one. Its a good idea, as then you have one here to transfer money into when you are ready to move
Oh no, that then raises the age-old vext issue of which bank!

Thanks Pollyanna.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TeresaG
Good luck and have a great trip.
hi
regarding a bank account we opened one with westpac over the phone from the uk took 20 mins 5 days later our account info came through account numbers and so on. couldnt have been more helpfull.just have to go in to the main branch in perth with our passports and we will get our cards and cheuqe books.hope this helps