British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Validation Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/validation-process-611403/)

nmm May 26th 2009 8:41 pm

Validation Process

Hi,

When entering Australia to validate a permanent resident VISA, do the customs people quiz you on why you are entering? Is it ok to say that you are entering on holiday or do you have to lie and say that you are actually emigrating for good?

I just can't see how else you can do it, when they only give you a few months to validate a VISA. You don't have time to sell your house, pack in your job etc.

Pollyana May 26th 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Validation Process

Originally Posted by nmm (Post 7606741)
Hi,

When entering Australia to validate a permanent resident VISA, do the customs people quiz you on why you are entering? Is it ok to say that you are entering on holiday or do you have to lie and say that you are actually emigrating for good?

I just can't see how else you can do it, when they only give you a few months to validate a VISA. You don't have time to sell your house, pack in your job etc.

Tell them you are there on holiday before moving permanently.

llanfachreth May 26th 2009 9:38 pm

Immigration never asked us anything about our reason for visit

renth May 26th 2009 10:05 pm

When I went through the immigration officer didn't look at the stamp at first and goes "Where are you staying?" I'm tired and say "I can't remember, Padbury, I think". She goes in to attack mode and says "So, you've come all this way and you don't know where you are staying?" I go "I've got a PR visa" she says "Oh, yes, you do don't you, in that case Welcome to Australia"!!:rofl:

Japonica May 26th 2009 11:23 pm

When we validated in Dec, we asked to make sure our visas would show up as activated and the customs officer explained that yes, they would read so in the computer...but he never asked us anything about what our permanent plans were etc. I think we said at the time that we were just there for a month before returning to reside.

On the way back, the customs officer asked us what our plans were (seeing as we had PR and were leaving) and we said, well, we have to go home and sell the house and then we were coming back. He smiled and said, "Well, see you in 6 months then." No one gave us any hassle about just validating and leaving.

moneypenny20 May 26th 2009 11:31 pm

No one asked me anything, nor did they say welcome to Aus :cry_smile: They didn't say anything when I left a week later either. :cry_smile:

comet555 May 27th 2009 12:46 am

We got asked what our plans were and we really didn't have any.

They asked where we were staying and I said I don't have a clue yet but hopefully there's room at the closest hotel to the Sydney airport. Since we had PR there's not a whole they could do about it!

They asked how long we were staying and I said I don't know that either! We had return tickets to leave in a month but if my husband found a job we were planning on changing the tickets and staying. So I couldn't really say whether we were even just visiting or if we were staying. I wasn't terribly helpful!

In the end though we had PR and the right to come and go as we pleased so not a lot they could do. I would just put down that you're visiting, or if in doub leave that box unchecked and ask when you get to the counter.

mi5agent May 27th 2009 6:54 am

Hi,

I rather get the impression that every entry visa type is known to immigration at the airport long before you land.

Its not unlawful to enter Aussie to validate your visa. Once you have passed the immigration desk with you visa label stamped, its valid and you are then a Permanent Resident and subject to any conditions set out with you entry visa.

I cannot see why they would ask you WHY you are entering Aussie and academic after your visa is seen as genuine and stamped. The number is on their computer to check - and they will.

BUT if you are asked, state the truth, come to validate the visa, have a holiday and look for some nice area to live when we come back after clearing everything in the UK.

All the other stuff you mention was for you to cope with - Aussie immigration set the rules with regard validation dates - they assume you understand and deal with it.

Dont worry, immigration are always looking for the scam merchants... visa validation and exit is an d everyday fact to them.

Congrats on getting the visa.

Lee Family May 27th 2009 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by mi5agent (Post 7607903)
Once you have passed the immigration desk with you visa label stamped.

I hope this is just a figure of speech, as all we got was a regular entered Australia stamp on a random page in our passports.

Jon

comet555 May 28th 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Lee Family (Post 7610269)
I hope this is just a figure of speech, as all we got was a regular entered Australia stamp on a random page in our passports.

Jon

Yes, they just stamp your passport in your book. Any page will do, they don't actually put it right over your visa label (couldn't read it properly if they did that).

ozhappy981 May 28th 2009 1:20 am

No need to lie. The point of validating is that you arrive and then leave again. And that's absolutely fine.

We weren't quizzed on arrival. Just got stamp in passport.

But on the airplane before you land they give you a landing card to fill in. It has boxes to tick asking whether you are a returning citizen, immigrating, or on holiday. When we validated we ticked the "holiday" box. And then 21 months later when we came for good, we ticked the "immigration" box. This info is just used for statistical purposes.

As otheres have said, once you have a PR visa, you can come and go as you please until you get to that last entry date (5 years etc etc)

llanfachreth May 28th 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 7610511)
Yes, they just stamp your passport in your book. Any page will do, they don't actually put it right over your visa label (couldn't read it properly if they did that).

What happens if you change your passport in between visits, i.e. will they know u have already validated by computer, or will u need to carry old passport?

ozhappy981 May 28th 2009 7:14 am

Originally Posted by llanfachreth (Post 7611319)
What happens if you change your passport in between visits, i.e. will they know u have already validated by computer, or will u need to carry old passport?

You need to carry the old passport with the visa label in. (a) You need that at check-in in the UK (so the airline knows you do have a visa) and (b) Aus immi only have your old passport number linked to the visa, i.e. you need to show Aus immi both as well. Once you are in Oz, you can go to the local DIAC office and they will put a new label into your new UK passport free of charge :). From then on, you just travel with the new UK passport.

comet555 May 28th 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by llanfachreth (Post 7611319)

Exactly as ozhappy said. You can carry both passports if you need to, and when you can you get a new label for free.

It should all be in the computer anyway, but you still need the label. Mostly so that the airlines will see the visa and let you board the plane.

MartinLuther May 28th 2009 8:13 am

We got a really nice "Welcome to Australia". Wasn't asked what our plans were. Very quick and easy.

Remember that if you're going to Brissie that you have to drop your sense of humour and your sense of perspective in the specially supplied AQIS bins :sneaky::D