Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

validation baggage allowance

validation baggage allowance

Old May 15th 2005, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future
Wink validation baggage allowance

Most of you probably aren't even reading this you are so bored of the endless discussions about baggage allowances, but for those of you that are.....
I wanted to go west, but there aren't many flights left, so looking into going east.

I am on a validation trip, hence a return ticket and an unstamped PR visa.
The general gist seems to be that to qualify for migrant baggage allowance you have to have a one way ticket and an unstamped visa. Has anyone been allowed a 40kg allowance whilst also holding a return ticket? When reading the postings Singapore seemed to give the allowance on just the visa, not the single ticket, can anyone confirm this please?

In case you think I am being lazy, I have rung some airlines (virgin, Qantas/BA) and will ring some more tomorrow, but it does seem to depend on who you speak to at these airlines, so a bit of knowledge from you lot might help. But will obviously get written confirmation from airline etc as opposed to turning up at airport with the line "but this forum said it would be alright....".

Oh, and for those bright sparks amongst you that are wondering how I am going to cope with the 20kg allowance for my return trip (presumably one can't claim to be migrating back!) I am hoping to dump one case in Sydney with a friend.

From reading the threads there only seems to be Emirates and Singapore airlines that allow the extra allowance (people on this site seem to say Qantas/BA, Virgin, Malaysia and Cathay don't give it anymore) and even then it only seems to be if you don't stop over for too long or in certain places. But as it all seems to be in a state of constant flux my little head was hurting with reading it all.

Anyone gone with Japan Air? They are the cheapest at the moment.

Many thanks for your help and patience with this ongoing saga.
Sarah