Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validating visas????? process??

Validating visas????? process??

Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough
Default Validating visas????? process??

Pls can someone just confirm the process once we have received acknowledgement of being granted our visa? Will we receive a letter and then have to get the visa put in our passports here? Where can this be done? What does validating of the visa mean? I have heard a lot of people mention this. Do I have to do this before entering the country/on arrival? Can I validate and enter the country at the same time? We are going to perth in December and want to go then for good!
Any advice would be appreciated as I am a bit in dark (as you can c!!)
Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validating visas????? process??

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
Pls can someone just confirm the process once we have received acknowledgement of being granted our visa? Will we receive a letter and then have to get the visa put in our passports here? Where can this be done? What does validating of the visa mean? I have heard a lot of people mention this. Do I have to do this before entering the country/on arrival? Can I validate and enter the country at the same time? We are going to perth in December and want to go then for good!
Any advice would be appreciated as I am a bit in dark (as you can c!!)
Thanks
Don't panic!!!!!

Once you have received your visa grant letter then you can get your visa put in your passport by sending it done to Oz house not sure but the address will probably be on the grant letter. On the letter will be a date by which time you must validate your visa(show up in Oz) Some people are not able to validate and stay permanently because of other commitments so they have to validate the visa and then go back to their country to tie up any loose ends.
So you can validate and stay all at the same time
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough

Great - thanks for the advice...all that is left to do now is wait!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Another point to consider is that even though the Visa application is in 1 person's name, ALL the people listed i.e. wife/husband & kids all have to go to validate.
I was hoping that if we haven't sold the house I could go over own my own, stay with my cousin and bang off a load of CV's then come back therby validating all our visas as the application is off the back of my skills.
I have been advised that that is not the case and that all 5 of us have to go.

We're planning on going out there and validating at the same time but if time is short / house not sold then it's gonna be an expensive trip to Oz first (5 return tickets and I'm self employed so don't get hol pay!).

you can validate by going to Oz for as little as 1 day but that would be a very expensive day trip!
if you went, then came back same day would the Jet Lag cancel itself out?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:42 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cadman
Another point to consider is that even though the Visa application is in 1 person's name, ALL the people listed i.e. wife/husband & kids all have to go to validate.
I was hoping that if we haven't sold the house I could go over own my own, stay with my cousin and bang off a load of CV's then come back therby validating all our visas as the application is off the back of my skills.
I have been advised that that is not the case and that all 5 of us have to go.

We're planning on going out there and validating at the same time but if time is short / house not sold then it's gonna be an expensive trip to Oz first (5 return tickets and I'm self employed so don't get hol pay!).

you can validate by going to Oz for as little as 1 day but that would be a very expensive day trip!

if you went, then came back same day would the Jet Lag cancel itself out?
What about the other four travelling on one way - you as the main applicant validating and then travelling back, cuts the holiday time for you? The others might enjoy it?

Work out the cost of cheap rental vs return tickets for four - never know you might get home and have the house sold - ever optimistic!

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Sandra
What about the other four travelling on one way - you as the main applicant validating and then travelling back, cuts the holiday time for you? The others might enjoy it?

Work out the cost of cheap rental vs return tickets for four - never know you might get home and have the house sold - ever optimistic!

Cheers
Interesting idea, ................the kids wouldn't be there to mess up the house between viewings..................I could do what I wanted in the evenings and weekends........................the only problem would be the cost of the divorce when I'm still in the UK 9 months later!

Seriously, how much cheaper would 1 way be as opposed to return?

(My cousin who is sponsoring us has offered to put us up either if we had to go to validate or when we get there having emigrated.
They have 2 kids, we have 3 kids, they only have a 4 bed house so I'm reluctant to stay there long, and, I barely know her and her husband never mind my wife who has met them twice years ago.)
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:25 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting idea, ................the kids wouldn't be there to mess up the house between viewings..................I could do what I wanted in the evenings and weekends........................the only problem would be the cost of the divorce when I'm still in the UK 9 months later!

(My cousin who is sponsoring us has offered to put us up either if we had to go to validate or when we get there having emigrated.
They have 2 kids, we have 3 kids, they only have a 4 bed house so I'm reluctant to stay there long, and, I barely know her and her husband never mind my wife who has met them twice years ago.)
One way vs return is not that much cheaper, but difference depends on the time of year and deals you get with airlines. When I have traveled difference do not amount to much more than 300 pounds, eg getting a 700 return vs 400 one way for example but then again it is this difference plus the 400 to come out again?

Maybe not an idea for most but I was trying to be positive that your family might like to stay longer than you can!

We actually had enough money (sold endowments) to leave the house for a year till we were sure but not all will be in that position.

Cheers
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

How do you physically validate? Is it simply a case of jumping on the plane and flashing your passport with the visa label when you arrive?

Do you tell the airlines anything different? Do you actually have to tell the migration officer you're migrating or is it all automatic because they just type your visa number in a computer?? Is it all done at the airport, and that's it?

Questions, questions.......
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:28 pm
Badge

you tick a box in the airlines arrival card "migrating, PR".

Just show your passport to the bloke on the desk.

If you're lucky, he might even say "Welcome to Australia!"

There are no steak knives, no cuddly toys, fan fares, red carpets, string quartets.

Badge

Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:33 pm
WBB

Originally posted by badgersmount

There are no steak knives, no cuddly toys, fan fares, red carpets, string quartets.

lol

and i was hoping i would get a hug at least.

Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
you tick a box in the airlines arrival card "migrating, PR".

Just show your passport to the bloke on the desk.

Badge

Cheers for that. So, no need to quote my visa number to anyone. Sounds way too simple!

A Brass Band would do......
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a quote in Mail on Sunday yesterday £150 one way to Sydney 14th & 28th November
sounds too good tobe true, therefore it probably is:lecture:
cheers
Philip
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:45 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil
I saw a quote in Mail on Sunday yesterday £150 one way to Sydney 14th & 28th November
cheers
Philip
one way, i have seen flights for around £350 return if booked in advance, my father in law regularly takes up these ofers and he usually end's up on brit airways or qantas.

Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:09 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil
cheers
Philip

I saw this too. Apparently you turn up to a sales desk somewhere in gatwick, at something like 4am when they open, and if you are lucky enough to get a ticket for £150/£199 one way you run like bloody hell to the plane that is departing in 1 hours time!!
I did something similar about 10 years ago - waited for about 3 days in Heathrow and got a last minute flight for about a quarter the cost of usual (and sneaked into business class departure lounge!!)
ok if you dont have kids.....can just imagine hanging around gatwick with 3 kids...........:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

sue
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I got a nice big smile and a "Welcome" - nicer than the grunt you get at Heathrow!!
The airlines will probably ask if you ahve a visa (as they like to make money by doing the ETAs for people) but they shouldn't need to see it till check-in, unless you are going on the one-way ticket, and asking for the extra baggage - in which case they will need a copy of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.