Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Validating Visas Airline question please help

Validating Visas Airline question please help

Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:40 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validating Visas Airline question please help

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Most of them no longer do the extra baggage. Qantas still do a migrant fare (I think) which gives more allowance but also costs more than a normal airfare. Singapore still do the extra allowance but you will lose it if you validate.

Have just booked our one way flights and the agent said about the extra, so I said I had already validated and so assumed I had lost it. She said she would see what she could do and come back to me but I am not expecting anything.

any news about what they said moneypen please would be very appeciaed

alk
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
so how do they know? can we not just get eta stamped for initial entry and visa s get scanned ajd then show this to the airline on way back out to live there?

just wondering how much they really check, seems a bit draconian to me that you only have one time to get your 40kg allowance.

What happens if it is a 2 way ticket to validate and then one way to live??

alk
You cannot get an ETA while holding another visa. . Once you are granted your actual visa (136 or whatever) you have to enter using THAt one, in order to validate it. On addition, once this visa has been granted, if you apply for an ETA the system wil either reject your application, or worse still accept it and issue an ETA - thus CANCELLING your other visa.
When you enter Australia, validating your visa, it is scanned at Immigration, so their computer knows you have validated it.
When asking for the extra bag allowance the airline will ask for a copy of your visa. They then put the number into their computer and it will tellthem whether the visa is brand new, or whether it has been validated.
Almost always, if it has been validated you will not get the extra allowance. So if you have a two way ticket to validate, and then emigrate later, its generally tough luck, no extra allowance.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:01 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

thanks polly

can i still go via usa and get the 60kgs?

alk

and our eta still is valid from til dec and i have to validate b4 this. does this matter
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
thanks polly

can i still go via usa and get the 60kgs?

alk

and our eta still is valid from til dec and i have to validate b4 this. does this matter
Re the USA, I dont know

Re the ETA - I suggest you go to the ETA website and check its validity. Generally if you have been granted a PR visa (or 457, or any other for that matter) then the ETA will have been automatically cancelled.
To validate your visa you HAVE to use that visa to enter - and it will be the only visa you can use, as the other one will have been over-ridden.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You cannot get an ETA while holding another visa. . Once you are granted your actual visa (136 or whatever) you have to enter using THAt one, in order to validate it. On addition, once this visa has been granted, if you apply for an ETA the system wil either reject your application, or worse still accept it and issue an ETA - thus CANCELLING your other visa..
Since 1 July 2002 an ETA can't legally take effect if a a 136 or other more beneficial visa is held. A regular tourist visa *will* cancel a 136 if granted later on.

And in general a 136 grant cancels any other visa held, including an ETA.

Jeremy
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:39 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
Since 1 July 2002 an ETA can't legally take effect if a a 136 or other more beneficial visa is held. A regular tourist visa *will* cancel a 136 if granted later on.

And in general a 136 grant cancels any other visa held, including an ETA.

Jeremy
So if Al did hold an ETA, it will have been cancelled by the issuing of the "new" visa - 136 or whatever? hence the next entry to Aus will have to be on the 2new" visa?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So if Al did hold an ETA, it will have been cancelled by the issuing of the "new" visa - 136 or whatever? hence the next entry to Aus will have to be on the 2new" visa?

Correct. Once the 136 is granted, it cancels the ETA.

Validation of the 136 is merely complying with a condition of the visa (if you don't validate, DIMIA usually cancel the visa quite quickly).

Jeremy
Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been through this with Singapore Airlines. Travelbag said I could have the extra 20kg & told me that this had been approved by Singapore Airlines. My ticket had 40kg on it. I turned up with 40kg & was told I could only have 20kg as I had already 'used' the visa. After much discussion I was allowed 40kg. When I got to Singapore I went to the main SIA office on Orchard Road, showed them my ticket with the 40kg allowance on it & they updated their system no problem. Very friendly & helpful. SIA in Singapore are great. SIA at Heathrow are rubbish.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point

From Singapore Airlines today

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage
allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.

Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double
baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia
indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs
baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone
does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.

If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive
5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon
check in.

Its approximately GBP30.00 per per extra kg if taking excess baggage.

All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand
luggage allowance can not be exceeded

Yours Sincerely
Singapore Airlines

*** So I dont know how this works if your dont do a stop over.

Last edited by MikeMc; Oct 4th 2005 at 4:27 pm.