I own an Electrolux
7.94%
I own somthing different. See below!!
30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Vacuums. A word with 2 consecutive U's.

Hi there

We owned a dyson in the uk and it was one of my greatest pleasures to dump it begore coming here, We bought a super duper Vax on arrival, highly recommended by Good Guys, what a nightmare that was so after lots of arguing and threats of litigation they refunded the money and we bought a miele (by the way I have also owned an electrolux in my time). The miele is brilliant, by far better than any other we have owned. It even makes cleaning the car twice as quick.

Good luck I don't envy you.

Lindsey
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chocaholic
We recently bought a Nilfisk for $249. It does a fine job. (sorry - I just can't think of anything else to say about it!).
We bought a Nilfisk from Myer (they were pushing it so much in the end we just trusted them ). I think ours must be faulty because it just doesn't work properly and I find we have to go over the same area over and over again. In the UK we had a fantastic electrolux (upright, I am starting to think that makes all the difference). Anyway, now my husband does the vacuuming because he is so sick of my complaining - on second thoughts get a Nilfisk
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shellfish
We bought a Nilfisk from Myer (they were pushing it so much in the end we just trusted them ). I think ours must be faulty because it just doesn't work properly and I find we have to go over the same area over and over again. In the UK we had a fantastic electrolux (upright, I am starting to think that makes all the difference). Anyway, now my husband does the vacuuming because he is so sick of my complaining - on second thoughts get a Nilfisk
We also bought ours at Myer - my husband insisted on trying it out in the store first - so it does work - and unfortunately he feels no need to test it in our home . Still, it's no wonder machine, that's for sure!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

i have an upright dyson - but i have been borrowing a hoover whilst mine was being shipped - was happy with the one i borrowed until i got the dyson back
i hoovered the lounge floor with the borrowed one & then i hoovered it after with the dyson - ALL I CAN SAY WAS EWW!!
the amount of stuff it picked up out of the carpet was gross
i didnt realise how good it was until i didnt have it
(isnt that always the case!)
i wouldnt swap it for anything

btw - the kids & hubby have now got fed up with me showing them all the dirt it has picked up !!!

ttfn
pootle26
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:21 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there such a thing as a quiet vacuum cleaner?

I know its a bit of a bizarre question, but Mrs JTL doesn't like our current vacuum, because its too loud.

So forget about suction, cleaning ability, attachments, air filters, bag or bagless, it has to be quiet.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Is there such a thing as a quiet vacuum cleaner?

I know its a bit of a bizarre question, but Mrs JTL doesn't like our current vacuum, because its too loud.

So forget about suction, cleaning ability, attachments, air filters, bag or bagless, it has to be quiet.
You need a ducted system, like http://www.vacumaid.biz

Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:16 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You need a ducted system, like http://www.vacumaid.biz

Hmmmm, we are getting our new house renovated, so I suppose that would be an option. But, I don't like the sound of ducted vacuuming. Just too many ducted pipes running through the house. Its already got solar heated water, and then if we get ducted air con, and ducted vacuuming.

I think Mrs JTL has another dislike about ducted vacuuming, but I can't remember what it is at the moment, and she's asleep. So I'll have to skip on the ducted idea.

How many times can I say ducted in one post

Personally I want a Vax, but what I want and what we get don't always match . Despite the fact I do all the hoovering! I also don't care about the noise. Vacuuming is noisy, just like cutting the grass,

ADL
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:24 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Personally I want a Vax, but what I want and what we get don't always match . Despite the fact I do all the hoovering! I also don't care about the noise. Vacuuming is noisy, just like cutting the grass,

ADL
The MIL had a vax and a big hairy dog. They just wern't compatable. I think i could have licked the carpet cleaner
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:30 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The MIL had a vax and a big hairy dog. They just wern't compatable. I think i could have licked the carpet cleaner
WAS the carpet cleaner ,Good lookin ??? ........... mm
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
WAS the carpet cleaner ,Good lookin ??? ........... mm
PMSL
Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:27 pm
blossom

So I'm stuck with a bloody useless b*****d of a Dyson. We have the occasional good hoover day where it seems to be back to it's old self, but most of the time I now have to resort to getting down on my hands and knees to use the little Dyson hair remover attachment to hoover up the cat hair.

My advice? Get a Henry!

I thought you were talking about my Dyson for a mokment, until I read the bit about cat hair (I don't have a cat). I must agree, I have had two Dysons now and will never buy another. Trouble is I don't know what to buy when I have to finally replace my vacuum cleaner - I have heard it said that Miele are good, but I don't fancy having to keep changing dustbags - not the ongoing expense of them.

Blossom

Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:42 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
So I'm stuck with a bloody useless b*****d of a Dyson. We have the occasional good hoover day where it seems to be back to it's old self, but most of the time I now have to resort to getting down on my hands and knees to use the little Dyson hair remover attachment to hoover up the cat hair.

My advice? Get a Henry!

I thought you were talking about my Dyson for a mokment, until I read the bit about cat hair (I don't have a cat). I must agree, I have had two Dysons now and will never buy another. Trouble is I don't know what to buy when I have to finally replace my vacuum cleaner - I have heard it said that Miele are good, but I don't fancy having to keep changing dustbags - not the ongoing expense of them.

Blossom
Blossom

Get a Miele.......you will be soooooo pleased with it you won't give a damn about changing the bags. Mine is much, much better than my old Dyson -absolutely no comparison. Just brilliant!!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:06 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
Our Electrolux came with an attachment especially designed for getting up cat / dog hair. It was a bit like the normal nozzle but the end spun around like the main part does. The only problem is that it uses the suction through the house to make it spin and after a couple of months the useless vacuum hadn't got enough power to turn it.