Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vaccinating against rabies........

Vaccinating against rabies........

Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:48 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vaccinating against rabies........

I know you don't need to vaccinate your pets against rabies to enter Australia, but pet shippers have suggested that it's a good idea to do it anyhow in case we decide to move back to the UK!!! (not that it is our intention to return, but you never know do you)
Apparently it saves time in quarantine on their return....anybody else heard of this?? C x
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all
Default Re: Vaccinating against rabies........

Hiya

We've taken our dog abroad on many an occassion - no problems whatsoever! It's getting the little buggers back in that's the snag!!!!

The UK are VERY strict on Rabies - we have to complete checks a what felt like reams of paperwork to bring her back every time. We're pretty much used to it now though - the whole process takes a few months.

We had our dog vaccinated in the April - blood test taken in the June/July to check that the antibody was present, then we could have taken her abroad - we couldn't bring her back though until 6 months after the intial vaccination.

You have to allow at least 6 months wait before you can bring them back. I personally, would definately get it done!!!

Angie
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Pity they wasn't so strict on the people they allow in :-))
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Pity they wasn't so strict on the people they allow in :-))
How very true!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:25 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shiels
I know you don't need to vaccinate your pets against rabies to enter Australia, but pet shippers have suggested that it's a good idea to do it anyhow in case we decide to move back to the UK!!! (not that it is our intention to return, but you never know do you)
Apparently it saves time in quarantine on their return....anybody else heard of this?? C x

yep, def get done! we didnt and wish we had.......never say never!

have a look here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

thats should answer most questions

good luck on following your dream
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:31 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
yep, def get done! we didnt and wish we had.......never say never!

have a look here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

thats should answer most questions

good luck on following your dream
Thank you.....C x
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:46 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

We have only just told our nextdoor neighbours that we're going to Oz. Once the shock had settled a bit, she asked if we were taking our pooch Milly. I said definitely. She then said about getting her vaccinated against rabies. I must admit I'd never given that a thought, plus she works at our vets, so it has just thrown me into a flat spin panic.

Did a search and found this thread.... panic now over!!!

D D
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:03 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We had our dog done here just in case we want to take back to the UK. Got the vaccination then a few weeks later the blood test. Dog is eligble to leave Oz in six months. There after we just need to maintain the vaccinations and he's good to go....if we opt to go back.

Cheers

Ginny