Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UV rays inside home?

UV rays inside home?

Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UV rays inside home?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We had a tile and carpet shop at one stage and carpet is often replaced after only a few years due to the fading/damage caused by the sun, often the backing just breaks up, carpet shops love it, very profitable.

Pretty obvious if you live in a house and it gets sun it also reaches your skin. Not rocket science however people seem amazed at the revalation
OKaaaay.......Now that you've mentioned the damage that the sun caused to the carpet, I believe I can see where your concerns lie, and I have to agree that in some cases you will need to wear sunscreen indoors.

Though only if you intend to get stark naked and lie flat on the floor in front of a North facing window for a few years

Last edited by Hino; Mar 29th 2010 at 2:50 am. Reason: Touch of the sun :)
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
OKaaaay.......Now that you've mentioned the damage that the sun caused to the carpet, I believe I can see where your concerns lie, and I have to agree that in some cases you will need to wear sunscreen indoors.

Though only if you intend to get stark naked and lie flat on the floor in front of a North facing window for a few years

Most people at home in qld already only wear boxers, bikini, shorts etc, already nearly naked. Not like you in your knitted wool troll suit

Still confused, simply apply UV moisturiser after your shower.

Still confused, wait a few years and get skin cancers cut off. Too easy.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:08 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Most people at home in qld already only wear boxers, bikini, shorts etc, already nearly naked. Not like you in your knitted wool troll suit

Still confused, simply apply UV moisturiser after your shower.

Still confused, wait a few years and get skin cancers cut off. Too easy.
It's even more fun if you get someone else to apply it after your shower!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
It's even more fun if you get someone else to apply it after your shower!
Wet slippery Hino has just had to excuse himself
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Wet slippery Hino has just had to excuse himself
I reckon he is vigorously applying it as we speak!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
I reckon he is vigorously applying it as we speak!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:13 am
Account Closed

I think he's using too much on bits that'll never see the sun too.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a "Troll Suit"...........that's the Australian standard indoor UV protection gear, a must have accessory for anyone foolish enough to live in this awful climate.

Without this wonderful piece of equipment, it would be almost impossible to survive in this country.

These suits are available in a variety of colours, though sadly the tin foil hat only come in "Bright and Shiny". It seems that covering the hat with paint, reduces it's level of protection and can allow "The Voices" to get through.

As you are an obvious 'New Chum', I can understand your fear of that big yellow ball in the sky, and the frightfull effects of it's rays. Though hopefully the fear you feel now will diminish in time and with luck you will become adjusted enough to actually enjoy the 'yellow ball' and it's gifts.

If not you could consider night work, cave dwelling or returning to the land of your birth. Where the chances of your health suffering because of the evil effects of the "Big yellow ball" are almost none existant

Last edited by Hino; Mar 29th 2010 at 5:18 am. Reason: Sunstroke
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think there is some very serious misinformation in this thread and it should be shutdown and deleted.
Anyone reading this thinking of the implications of living in Oz is far better off doing their own research and, if concerned about skin cancer, seeing a doctor who actually knows what their on about. There is some serious misinformation posted in here and while I am not blaming the posters for the repeating the information they have been given, I'm sorry but some of it from both sides is crap and dangerous.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:38 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Personally I think there is some very serious misinformation in this thread and it should be shutdown and deleted.
Anyone reading this thinking of the implications of living in Oz is far better off doing their own research and, if concerned about skin cancer, seeing a doctor who actually knows what their on about. There is some serious misinformation posted in here and while I am not blaming the posters for the repeating the information they have been given, I'm sorry but some of it from both sides is crap and dangerous.
Undoubtedly true; the problem unaddresses being which "some of it" is "crap and dangerous".
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Undoubtedly true; the problem unaddresses being which "some of it" is "crap and dangerous".
I think it comes down to common sense in many ways.

If you are in the shade, out of direct sunlight, then you are much less likely to be caught by damaging UV rays

Traditional houses with wide verandas stop the sun coming in through the windows, whilst the newer houses with big open windows allowing the sun in, will be more likely to allow UV rays to reach people standing in the unshaded area.

That's my "uneducated, non professional" view anyway

Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Anyone reading this thinking of the implications of living in Oz is far better off doing their own research and, if concerned about skin cancer, seeing a doctor who actually knows what their on about.
I agree 100%.

The same principle also applies for many topics.

Hopefully, seeing answers that show total opposites of opinion, will make people realise that everything should be questioned.

The only time that something on a forum should be relied on, is when hundreds of people all agree with each other 100%. (but even then... )