Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UV rays inside home?

UV rays inside home?

Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question UV rays inside home?

One of my friends applies sunscreen to her skin even when she is at home all the day! She thinks there are UV rays even inside our homes since most the apartment windows are not UV blocking.

How serious should we take her?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UV rays inside home?

Originally Posted by BARDI77
One of my friends applies sunscreen to her skin even when she is at home all the day! She thinks there are UV rays even inside our homes since most the apartment windows are not UV blocking.

Does she wear a tin foil hat too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I also HAVE to use suncreen inside. You can certainly still burn inside, there are 3 types of UV rays and one at least goes through glass, car windows and inside houses, unless they are tinted.

Also people forget that although glass cuts some of the rays, usually in hot climes the windows are open, flyscreen cuts nothing.

Tinting, blockout, sunblock are a unfortunate part of life for me, however the bonus is I look a lot younger than aussies the same age
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I also HAVE to use suncreen inside. You can certainly still burn inside, there are 3 types of UV rays and one at least goes through glass, car windows and inside houses, unless they are tinted.

Also people forget that although glass cuts some of the rays, usually in hot climes the windows are open, flyscreen cuts nothing.

Tinting, blockout, sunblock are a unfortunate part of life for me, however the bonus is I look a lot younger than aussies the same age
But are you lithe and trim? Or are you a true Tesco middle-aged type with collapsed arches and scuffed heels?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:36 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you're a hoot at parties too.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Something tells me she is. Old Jad's alright I reckon. Maybe inclined to worry...I always imagine her as a younger, nicer Mrs Bouquet (in terms of being English that is, not for being a snob) and spending all her life in Tesco. Not a true Little Englander, even if some of her tastes are Little Englander.

"Most glass absorbs the short wavelength UV (UV-C 190 - 280 nm and UV-B
280 - 320 nm), but transmits the longer UV-A (320 - 400 nm) radiation.
The UV-B is the erythemal region that causes sunburn and skin cancer,
but the UV-A can also cause sunburn and tanning".

Do what the Missus does - uses moisturiser after morning shower with inbuilt block.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

UV-B doesn't go through glass. UV-A does.

UV like all light rays travels in straight lines so if you are inside but in the sun then UV-A is still hitting you. If you are out of the sun then you are being hit by reflections. The amount of energy being reflected will depend on the surface but for most things will be small. If you can see the sun reflecting off the surface of a pool then it'll be high but not as high as in direct light.

Personally unless you are inside in direct sunlight then I wouldn't bother with sunscreen.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Even when you are not under direct sunlight passing through windows? Like when you are sitting on the dining table having lunch while you are 5 meters away from the windows?

I always thought it was necessary when you are near the windows.

P.S.

Thank you MartinLuther. You fade my concern since we have never used sunscreen inside home.

Last edited by BARDI77; Mar 27th 2010 at 10:59 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't answer your question but I will award you the prize of "Poster who starts the most bizarre threads. 2010".... even though its still early in the year I can't see you being caught.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
UV-B doesn't go through glass. UV-A does.

UV like all light rays travels in straight lines so if you are inside but in the sun then UV-A is still hitting you. If you are out of the sun then you are being hit by reflections. The amount of energy being reflected will depend on the surface but for most things will be small. If you can see the sun reflecting off the surface of a pool then it'll be high but not as high as in direct light.

Personally unless you are inside in direct sunlight then I wouldn't bother with sunscreen.
And the bit I found is that A can cause burning. But it is the B which is particularly damaging.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
In her tin foil hat and sunscreen.....

Guaranteed to be the main topic of conversation rather than the centre of it
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on how your house is built and how you live in it (not as daft as it appears). We don't get any direct sunlight in our house, the overhangs are wide enough all round to prevent it. However if you're in a house with no overhang and no nearby trees and you have desks, tables etc close to windows that you're sat at working during the day then there's far more likelihood of burning inside.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But are you lithe and trim? Or are you a true Tesco middle-aged type with collapsed arches and scuffed heels?
No way!! I integrated and am now a real aussie beauty , barrel shaped, beer belly, bare feet are black and heels thick with an inch of dry skin, skin like the hide of an old croc, baggy cotton shorts and a tank top, bare feet, and in winter I go to work in flannel pj's

Actually I became really serious about skin cancer, rays etc after a couple of y close calls with the deadly type of 'innocent' looking moles. On fair people they can show up as nothing more than a tiny lump of white skin, not even mole looking. People are looking for black, brown and red moles, not a tiny bit of raised white skin

You do all the sunsmart stuff outside, then wonder 'why" did this happen, of course your totally ignoring the radiation thats getting you inside, in the car, the 5 mins in the garden, others on here have said they can get burnt in qld pegging out the washing, thats a 10 minute job.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 3:33 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

No way!! I integrated and am now a real aussie beauty , barrel shaped, beer belly, bare feet are black and heels thick with an inch of dry skin, skin like the hide of an old croc, baggy cotton shorts and a tank top, bare feet, and in winter I go to work in flannel pj's

Actually I became really serious about skin cancer, rays etc after a couple of y close calls with the deadly type of 'innocent' looking moles. On fair people they can show up as nothing more than a tiny lump of white skin, not even mole looking. People are looking for black, brown and red moles, not a tiny bit of raised white skin

You do all the sunsmart stuff outside, then wonder 'why" did this happen, of course your totally ignoring the radiation thats getting you inside, in the car, the 5 mins in the garden, others on here have said they can get burnt in qld pegging out the washing, thats a 10 minute job.
Don't forget to apply before you have a bath, those pesky rays get trapped in the bathwater (not forgetting they have spent all that time unprotected in a dam).

The concentrations are off the scale by the time you dip your toe in.

A full scuba suit is the only way to be sure.

HTH!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:40 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And the bit I found is that A can cause burning. But it is the B which is particularly damaging.
That's what happens when you drive for a long time. The arm in the sun starts burning and the other is okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.