Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UtilityOne - connecting utilities.....

UtilityOne - connecting utilities.....

Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Question UtilityOne - connecting utilities.....

Anyone know anything about this company - good bad experiences???

We have just had our application accepted for an apartment and have had a text from these people saying that they are gonna sort out all of our utilities for us! I'm pretty sure that you had to opt in, rather than opt out.

Anyway, what do they do? Surely its better to source deals yourself - combined gas and electric, home phone and broadband etc etc.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Simon
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:47 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UtilityOne - connecting utilities.....

Originally Posted by s1mon321
We have just had our application accepted for an apartment and have had a text from these people saying that they are gonna sort out all of our utilities for us! I'm pretty sure that you had to opt in, rather than opt out.

Simon
Given that you are in an appartment you may find that at least for your electricyt that there is one meter for the entire appartment block. Sometimes there are two, one for the common areas and one that feeds the appartments. If this is the case (And it probably is) then you are effectively in an 'embedded network' and it is the Body Corporate, not you, who can choose the electricity supplier. It may be that the Body Corporate subcontracts this service to Utility One who then also will arrange your other connections.

I would discuss this issue with the Body Corporate
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

it appears that Utility One use TRUEnergy for gas and electricity and Telstra for telephony.

I dont think you would have any problems with TRUenergy but you may want to look at other telephony/broadband suppliers; Optus for example.

Again, you may find that this is an issue for the Body Corporate and not one over which you have any real influence
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

we had utility one try to connect all our utilities, they called us up, I said send documentation before you proceed, they went ahead regardless, they chose optus, agl and elec, we did not want optus and they signed us up anyway, despite my explicit instructions not to.

It then took us almost 6 months to get utility one to go away and optus to stop billing us for a service we never used and did not setup.

careful careful...........