British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Utilities, broadband, etc. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/utilities-broadband-etc-783476/)

Lucas_Dad Jan 12th 2013 9:43 am

Utilities, broadband, etc.

Hey all. Am after some general advice on utilities providers. Have been living with family since arriving in country NSW (Griffith) in Sept. Wife has a job in Orange, NSW, starting Easter and a job has come up for me to apply for too, so Orange is where we're headed in a couple of months time. Its not necessarily where we want to settle, but jobs is jobs and it's a start! It's also 'only' 3 hours from Sydney instead of 7 :)

I'll shop around obviously but some general advice on utilities providers would be much appreciated. Electricity, gas (hopefully - miss cooking on gas!), telephone, broadband, water, blah blah etc.

Telephone and broadband may be trickiest in a way? We'll be renting a house to start with whilst looking for somewhere to buy. i.e. we won't want to commit to a 12 month contract for anything as we might only be renting for 6 months, possibly less. Mobile BB is a stopgap option but we're heavy internet users and I make lots of use of the VPN :)

Cheers

rasen78 Jan 12th 2013 10:07 am

Re: Utilities, broadband, etc.

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad (Post 10478722)
Hey all. Am after some general advice on utilities providers. Have been living with family since arriving in country NSW (Griffith) in Sept. Wife has a job in Orange, NSW, starting Easter and a job has come up for me to apply for too, so Orange is where we're headed in a couple of months time. Its not necessarily where we want to settle, but jobs is jobs and it's a start! It's also 'only' 3 hours from Sydney instead of 7 :)

I'll shop around obviously but some general advice on utilities providers would be much appreciated. Electricity, gas (hopefully - miss cooking on gas!), telephone, broadband, water, blah blah etc.

Telephone and broadband may be trickiest in a way? We'll be renting a house to start with whilst looking for somewhere to buy. i.e. we won't want to commit to a 12 month contract for anything as we might only be renting for 6 months, possibly less. Mobile BB is a stopgap option but we're heavy internet users and I make lots of use of the VPN :)

Cheers

Quite a few of the providers we contacted will allow you to transfer your contract to a new property. It is one of the things we asked when enquiring. We have Dodo broadband - unlimited broadband and we also have the landline phone package with them. All local, national and international calls included. Think we pay around $60-70 for the package and again it is transferrable.

Lucas_Dad Jan 18th 2013 1:28 am

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 10478747)
Quite a few of the providers we contacted will allow you to transfer your contract to a new property. It is one of the things we asked when enquiring. We have Dodo broadband - unlimited broadband and we also have the landline phone package with them. All local, national and international calls included. Think we pay around $60-70 for the package and again it is transferrable.

Many thanks for the tip. Had never heard of Dodo before, have now seen that they do 3G dongles too. I particularly like that international calls are included. My Optus mobile package includes international too, and while we Skype mostly the Optus minutes have been a great little bonus.

Jilliebee Jan 18th 2013 1:10 pm

We have DoDo and they have, last week, happily transferred our phone and unlimited Internet from the NT to Melbourne, no problems x

Lucas_Dad Jan 19th 2013 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Jilliebee (Post 10490856)
We have DoDo and they have, last week, happily transferred our phone and unlimited Internet from the NT to Melbourne, no problems x

When I moved from one town to the neighbouring town back home - within same dialling code - I had to cancel both telephone and broadband contracts and start afresh... So for DoDo to allow a state to state move is quite impressive to me!