Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

Old May 14th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Hubby got his Mazda Dual Cab for $5,000 when we arrived. It's been brilliant, couldn't live without it. Only thing he's had to work on so far is the brakes. We don't have a dog though so we have to tie our youngest up in the back and let her fly about when we go round corners.
Pure Class! My 3 boys absolutely love being flung in the back of the van and make all sorts of screeching noises when going round corners / bends etc!
Not so sure the police would think this would be okay as you are not allowed to carry passengers in the back of your van for obvious reasons so I've had to draw a halt to it.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Had a van with all tools in it, very handy, dry etc.

Now tow trailer with dual cab, can chuck materails etc in back, clean up after, then when finshed work un hitch trailer and go and have some fun in the 4wd and take the whole family.
That makes sense, the fun part with the family, however, I have had a trailer and handy as they are they can be a pain in the arse sometimes particularly when parking is tight or when you drive into a dead end with cars parked on both sides and have to get back out! Ouch
Old May 14th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diversing slightly but what is the craziest thing that you've seen on the back of a Ute apart from Moneypenny's daughter tied up?
Old May 16th 2009, 11:01 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Mine's an old looking 1992 Mitsubishi with 330k on it!!

You don't see many around in Melbourne now: I am a povo - there's no doubt. Mine has been great I spend about 300 bucks a year on it.

Having said that, I've had to spend a bit recently - a few leaks here and there, I'm getting to the point where all the problems are seals and gaskets..in easy to get to (or not) places, and at Christmas, new shocks all-round.
Toyota Hilux 2.8D dual cab. 1994 with 298k. The best car I have ever owned !! Cheap as chips to run & maintain & starts every time.If I need a metre of sand or screenings etc, just drive down to the local Bunnings/Mitre 10 and drop it in the back. Throw the boys dirt bikes in the back in the weekend and take them for a ride or just load it up and go camping for a week. Couldnt be easier.

Who remembers the top gear episode when they tried to kill a hilux & failed
Old May 16th 2009, 11:39 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Toyota Hilux 2.8D dual cab. 1994 with 298k. The best car I have ever owned !! Cheap as chips to run & maintain & starts every time.If I need a metre of sand or screenings etc, just drive down to the local Bunnings/Mitre 10 and drop it in the back. Throw the boys dirt bikes in the back in the weekend and take them for a ride or just load it up and go camping for a week. Couldnt be easier.

Who remembers the top gear episode when they tried to kill a hilux & failed
I saw one last night and was drooling over it, husband was laughing his head off and I reckon he doesnt believe I will get one.

I cannot believe I get excited at the thought of a Hilux.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:37 am
Just Joined

bigal300 is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked myself the same question when I first arrived as I had always used vans for work,when I saw the amount of tradesman using ute's I thought I would give it a go!.Big mistake,I struggled for severn months with my tools getting wet/rusty even with a cover for the back, materials ruined and security was always a concern although I didn't actually lose anything.I now have a "white van" and could not be more happy even though it's not cool and drive's like a steam-roller it just feel's right.I do think some trades are better off with a ute it just didn't work for me.[/I][/I]
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
This has probably been done to death so tin hat on here!

As a lifetime 'White Van Man' mainly the Ford Transit which I can't see past and have had all the shapes and sizes over the years and can hear the old Transit engine from miles away I am intrigued to know whether or not the Ute or similar types of pick up trucks used throughout the construction game by tradies is more of a necessary piece of equipment rather than a fashion item?

There was a spell here in Scotland, particularly around the millenium and early 2000s when a lot of folk I know in the building industry were cutting about in pick up / 4 x 4 Mitsubishi Warriors and the likes, however, most of them have went back to the 'White Van' so that has got me thinking that in Oz the Ute maybe just a 'fashionable vehicle' although I can understand the pro's and con's such a vehicle might provide.

Personally my preferred choice has and always will be 'The White Van' as I like to have all my tools and kit with me (van all racked out inside) at all times so as not to get caught short on the job! I have a feeling that my mind / opinion may change once I eventually get to Australia and indeed start working and reckon a lot of it will be down to the terrain as to how practical something like the Transit would be.

I would be interested in your thoughts, opinions and any advice and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' so it could be that I might have to take the blinkers off!

Lone Ranger
Old May 17th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Utes look cool. Especially the 4wd ones - (you don't need outsize tyres).
Depends on your classification of ute I suppose.

American style trucks or Japanese 4WDs yes, but a lime green Commodore ute, no.
Old May 17th 2009, 5:04 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Definitely depends on what job you do........i used to drive a transit in the uk,but since living here i've only had utes.
The latest being a mitsubishi duelcab 2.8td.....had it 3yrs from new. My job is leak detection/plumbing so its ideal also great car after work hours ie....off roading,fishing,camping, carries 4 people comfortably....can't complain.
Believe me you'd soon get fedup of jumping in and out of a transit looking for gear.....i agree not so practial in the uk with all that rain........

Last edited by the plumber; May 17th 2009 at 5:08 am.
Old May 17th 2009, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Depends on your classification of ute I suppose.

American style trucks or Japanese 4WDs yes, but a lime green Commodore ute, no.
Agreed.

I'm the first to admit that my taste in ute is actually a Japanese built lightweight pickup truck.

I do quite like the old Holden 70s utes....I'll get my coat.

The plumber - I use my ute tarp as a raingauge..
Old May 17th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigal300
I asked myself the same question when I first arrived as I had always used vans for work,when I saw the amount of tradesman using ute's I thought I would give it a go!.Big mistake,I struggled for severn months with my tools getting wet/rusty even with a cover for the back, materials ruined and security was always a concern although I didn't actually lose anything.I now have a "white van" and could not be more happy even though it's not cool and drive's like a steam-roller it just feel's right.I do think some trades are better off with a ute it just didn't work for me.[/I][/I]
What trade are you in? I think certain vehicles are more suited and necessary for particular trade types. Here in the UK a panel van is more useful to a Joiner / Carpenter than say a bricklayer / groundworker etc. I have had a Transit Tipper for a while as although my main business is Carpentry / Joinery, I also do block paving and groundworks and bought the tipper to assist my guys in this line rather than dumping sand, concrete etc inside a van so in that respect the tipper / pick up won hands down, however, security of tools and equipment was a concern and I decided on deliveries to site, skip hire etc was a better option with tools and equipment 'out of sight and out of mind' in the back of the van protected from shifty fingers and the weather!
Old May 17th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Bogan transport = Ute.

That's all I have to say.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:49 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernlights
Bogan transport = Ute.

That's all I have to say.
Im not a bogan and I like them

Thats like judging people by the area that they live in.
Old May 17th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Not long ago i parted company with my dodge ram quadcab SRT-10 pickup.Biggest mistake i ever made,selling it, car wise anyway, 8.3 litres of viper engine, damn thing made me laff my ass off everytime i drove it, way too much fun, if i wasnt saving to go id have another in the blink of an eye.Seriously interested in a Maloo R8 when i arrive in oz
Old May 17th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

I was once told by a mate "once you have a ute, all the time that you are a two car family, you will always have a ute" He was so right.

I have the Landcruiser 4.2 ltr ute. Bomb Proof. Serviced every 5000 Kms. Last ute was the 3.0 ltr Hilux single cab ute. Had that for 8 years. It went very well in all the time I had it except when it met its demise when my wife blew the engine going up on a trip to Queensland. My excuse to upgrade and get the Cruiser.

Barney
Old May 17th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by POW148
I was once told by a mate "once you have a ute, all the time that you are a two car family, you will always have a ute" He was so right.

I have the Landcruiser 4.2 ltr ute. Bomb Proof. Serviced every 5000 Kms. Last ute was the 3.0 ltr Hilux single cab ute. Had that for 8 years. It went very well in all the time I had it except when it met its demise when my wife blew the engine going up on a trip to Queensland. My excuse to upgrade and get the Cruiser.

Barney
Wow you service your ute every 3100 miles?? (5000 kms.) mine does'nt see a service till something breaks! just keeps going, it hasnt failed an mot yet (9 years) (Land cruiser)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.