Using a webcam

Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Using a webcam

I know this has been said before, but can anyone give me a fools guide as to how I set up my webcam. Which site I use etc.
I have a new PC with Windows xp and my sister in law has the same.
We want to try it out so we know what to do before I leave.

I have Broadband, she doesn't.

Any help appreciated.

Tina
Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using a webcam

We use MSN Messenger and Netmeeting, we're on win98, parents on xp and it works fine. Have tried it with a non broadband person and there was a long delay, but still better than nothing. Not in oz yet though so we'll have to wait and see...

Mash :0

Originally posted by tinaj
I know this has been said before, but can anyone give me a fools guide as to how I set up my webcam. Which site I use etc.
I have a new PC with Windows xp and my sister in law has the same.
We want to try it out so we know what to do before I leave.

I have Broadband, she doesn't.

Any help appreciated.

Tina
Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tina,

If your computer is running XP then it will probably be a new, or fairly new, model which will have some USB connectors on it. Most webcams come with this type of connector now and it should be a simple matter of connecting the webcam to any of the free USB slots.

The wndows XP software will autodetect the new hardware and begin to install it. All hardware in the PC require driver software to operate. For this reason you will have been supplied with a CD when you purchased the Webcam. By following the on screen prompts you will be asked to insert this CD. The rest of the process will be automatic and once complete thats it intalled (You may to reboot the PC before the new settings take effect)

Installing the webcam is only the first stage in communicating by video. The second stage is finding the right software to facilitate the process.

As Mash says MSN messenger is quite good To use this you have to register with them and anyone you wish to communicate with will have to do the same. No need to worry about what to do when you want to communicate by video. Just select the video call option and it will autodetect your web cam and after a few seconds you will be up and running.

Some people have had problems with MSN messenger (Me included) so you may want to check out this alternative if you have any problems:

http://www.eyeballchat.com

Hope this helps

Bill (Sindy's Husband)