Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using UK Sony Bravia in Australia - KDL40W2000

Using UK Sony Bravia in Australia - KDL40W2000

Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

astonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant future
Default Using UK Sony Bravia in Australia - KDL40W2000

Hi there,

I have recently emigrated and brought my UK Sony KDL40W2000 with me to Australia.

I understood that I would be able to use the TV if I used a video recorder or digital set-top box - I bought the Australian equivalent of a freeview box for this purpose.

I have turned the TV on with settings unchanged. The set-top box uses RF in then HDMI out to the TV. I can get no sound or picture using HDMI. I have checked the cable and tested with another. Same result. I have been through all of the input channels on the TV (AV1-6) no signal. I have tested the TV with direct input from DVD etc, no problem.

Clearly the TV does not recognise the audio or visual signal from the set-top box. Anyone got a similiar TV and know how to get round this please?

Cheers,

Marcus.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using UK Sony Bravia in Australia - KDL40W2000

Are you sure the set top box is working and is outputting via HDMI ?

I thought the UK and AU use the same DVB standard.

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
Hi there,

I have recently emigrated and brought my UK Sony KDL40W2000 with me to Australia.

I understood that I would be able to use the TV if I used a video recorder or digital set-top box - I bought the Australian equivalent of a freeview box for this purpose.

I have turned the TV on with settings unchanged. The set-top box uses RF in then HDMI out to the TV. I can get no sound or picture using HDMI. I have checked the cable and tested with another. Same result. I have been through all of the input channels on the TV (AV1-6) no signal. I have tested the TV with direct input from DVD etc, no problem.

Clearly the TV does not recognise the audio or visual signal from the set-top box. Anyone got a similiar TV and know how to get round this please?

Cheers,

Marcus.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:17 am
ABCDiamond

Not too sure about the digital side, but can you set your UK TV to either France or German country settings ?

My normal TV works fine when set like that.

I also thought that any TV would work with an Australia Set Top box.

Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:40 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Cheers,

Marcus.
Have you got the transmission-type set to 'auto' so that it figures out that it needs to use PAL B/G, without the need to use a DVB-T box to receive TV transmissions (i.e. PAL B/G)?

It's interesting to note that PAL is being dropped by Australia for DVB-T in 2012. The means all of our TV's (that support NTSC/SECAM/PAL etc) will need to take a feed from a converter (such as set-top box).
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

I have the exact same TV as you that I brought across a few months ago KDL40w2000

Ditch your set top box and use the digital TV tuner build into the tv. Mine works a treat in Adelaide

Hope that helps
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

By the way Australia wont be in the menu when you come to tune it so just dont select a country at all and it will sort its self out. If you read the manual for that TV you will find it can tune to almost any country in the world - it does the lot. The only thing that surprised me was it wont pick up the HD channels which is a shame on a 1080 screen

Let me know if you have any probs
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lazerzxr
By the way Australia wont be in the menu when you come to tune it so just dont select a country at all and it will sort its self out. If you read the manual for that TV you will find it can tune to almost any country in the world - it does the lot. The only thing that surprised me was it wont pick up the HD channels which is a shame on a 1080 screen

Let me know if you have any probs
Isn't that because it doesn't have a built in HD tuner though?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:41 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, the KDL-40W2000 has an inbuilt DVB HD Tuner

Why are you using a 3rd party Set Top box ? Just plug in your regular aerial cable and tune it in ? It will work quite happily in Australia.