Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using a pressure washer in Sydney

Using a pressure washer in Sydney

Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using a pressure washer in Sydney

Since moving in to our rental, we've discovered quite a lot of cob webs, dead spiders, bugs and a few nasty's etc associated with the previous people having a dog on the balcolny/terrance area above the back yard.

Given the current water restrictions, I read it that I am allowed to use a "Pressure Washer" to clean hard surfaces when it is a matter of health and safety.

Anybody any advice if removal of cob webs, etc falls within 'health and safety' before I set the pressure washer to work..?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a pressure washer in Sydney

To answer my own question, found this on the the Sydney water website...

The restriction on hosing hard surfaces applies to both standard hoses as well as high-pressure water cleaners if they are connected to a tap that is supplied from a water main. Water from any other source, including water not directly supplied by a water main, is not affected by this restriction.

We recommend the use of brooms or other waterless alternatives, including outdoor blowers or vacuums, to clean hard surfaces whenever possible.

Exemptions are generally only for some business water use. This is typically where there is no waterless alternative, there is a potential threat to public health and safety or the business will suffer serious financial difficulties.

So, I can fill a bucket from the tap and stick the hose in (note special diagram in the washer's instruction book how to do this), but not connect the hose to the tap. GREAT!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
So, I can fill a bucket from the tap and stick the hose in (note special diagram in the washer's instruction book how to do this), but not connect the hose to the tap. GREAT!
Think yourself lucky......in Brisbane if we even say the word 'hose' we can be subjected to public flogging & have our supply cut off.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Since moving in to our rental, we've discovered quite a lot of cob webs, dead spiders, bugs and a few nasty's etc associated with the previous people having a dog on the balcolny/terrance area above the back yard.

Given the current water restrictions, I read it that I am allowed to use a "Pressure Washer" to clean hard surfaces when it is a matter of health and safety.

Anybody any advice if removal of cob webs, etc falls within 'health and safety' before I set the pressure washer to work..?
Invest in a blower/vac about $49 in Bunnings, and a cobweb broom about $16.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Wont get off the BBQ oil I spilled on to the brand new pavers in our rental

Even tried the Hydrochoric Acid brick cleaner that Bunnings sell

Anyway, got myself a bucket pick-up hose for the pressure washer - I understand this is OK.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Anyway, got myself a bucket pick-up hose for the pressure washer - I understand this is OK.
I think you might need a degreaser spray first.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

We are in stage 3 and have been for over a year now - but bugger me - guess what - it has just started raining - first rain since February!!!!!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by smee
I think you might need a degreaser spray first.

Yeah, I agree. The acid is just taking the colour out of the pavers.

Anyother good tips for bbq oil removal?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, I agree. The acid is just taking the colour out of the pavers.

Anyother good tips for bbq oil removal?
Cheat. Swap the stained pavers with pavers from another area.