Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using laptop on plane

Using laptop on plane

Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using laptop on plane

Sorry am a bit thick on the IT front but can anyone tell me what I need to buy to use my laptop on the plane? Will be flying with Singapore airlines.
Thanks in advance.
Lou
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using laptop on plane

Originally Posted by Louise M
Sorry am a bit thick on the IT front but can anyone tell me what I need to buy to use my laptop on the plane? Will be flying with Singapore airlines.
Thanks in advance.
Lou

Nothing. Use the battery power. Have fun
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
TA
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:12 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Ours wouldn't be any good then, battery only lasts about 45 mins and it's less than 6 months old (the battery, not the laptop)
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:12 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks in advance.
Lou
You just ask them when you get on the plane, connect and off you go!! So you can send all us lot sat back in Uk a thread to say you are mid-flight on your way!!! Think they charge you buy the half hour and it isnt cheap! Pete
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:12 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

I'm thick too Are we allowed to take laptops on the plane with all the security measures in place now. Heard they are looking to relax them soon, but not sure if this has been implemented yet
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:20 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to check this. A lot of airlines are currently banning the use of battery powered laptops onboard due to the battery problems with Dell and Toshiba laptops. Not sure about Singapores current rules.
The airline I work for carries leads onboard that can plug into the seat power to power the laptop with the battery removed. However it is only the Business and Premium Economy seats that have power outlets.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
You will need to check this. A lot of airlines are currently banning the use of battery powered laptops onboard due to the battery problems with Dell and Toshiba laptops. Not sure about Singapores current rules.
The airline I work for carries leads onboard that can plug into the seat power to power the laptop with the battery removed. However it is only the Business and Premium Economy seats that have power outlets.
Ummm do you mean Dell and Apply laptops? I have a Toshiba and their battery problem seems to be unrelated, it is to do with the battery not keeping charge they don't burst into flames Here is the related page at Toshiba for anyone who is interested or might be affected
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:30 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I read this too and beleive it is enfoced.
Of course you can't expect customs to check brand names of PCs so the rule is all laptop batteries must go in the hold.

Andrew
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

American, United and Air NZ are OK - used my battery operated laptop (Apple) with them last month.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pete jackson
You just ask them when you get on the plane, connect and off you go!! So you can send all us lot sat back in Uk a thread to say you are mid-flight on your way!!! Think they charge you buy the half hour and it isnt cheap! Pete
Damn, thought it would be free. Not that I'm a cheapskate but emigration is a tad expensive as you all know.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Lou

Bit thick ....but can you connect to the net whilst on the plane too?? and do they charge???
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:44 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Bit thick ....but can you connect to the net whilst on the plane too?? and do they charge???
Yes you can! and yes they do! Look on the website of the airline you are thinking of traveling with. we are going with emirates and it tells you all about how they let you use the laptops on there sites. Pete
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Yes you can! and yes they do! Look on the website of the airline you are thinking of traveling with. we are going with emirates and it tells you all about how they let you use the laptops on there sites. Pete
oh no..you have said the wrong thing there...i am addicted to our laptop..superb!!! Cheers for that.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
I'm thick too Are we allowed to take laptops on the plane with all the security measures in place now. Heard they are looking to relax them soon, but not sure if this has been implemented yet
We flew with Singapore on 16th August, just after they'd slightly relaxed the hand luggage rule, (still no make-up then ) we would have been able to take laptop, (but it would have counted as your only allowed hand luggage. Also they announced that internet connection was available to everyone, not just 1st class, which I was surprised at, with no mention of a fee but I would suggest you look at their website or email them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.