Reload this Page >

Using the HMRC Online tax return service

Using the HMRC Online tax return service

Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

davidkayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using the HMRC Online tax return service

Hi,
When I use the free HMRC online tool for submitting a tax return I get the following warning:
You cannot use this service if you are a non resident or non domiciled in the uk.
I am non domiciled and i have income in the UK and have just received a another request to submit a return.

Does anyone out there just ignore this warning and submit anyway? It seems to work. I understand that it is technically the wrong thing to do.

I have included a picture.
David.
Attached Thumbnails Using the HMRC Online tax return service-capture.jpg  
Old Jun 5th 2018, 1:45 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using the HMRC Online tax return service

Call me dumb, but if you are registered non dom by HMRC dont you think its a bit risky to do something illegal/specifically not allowed, on the HMRC website?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 1:52 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Im betting the real reason is that the online form does not cover all situations abroad or ask you to declare some more compkex tax info being a non dom. I also bet given the nature of the revenue that when you confirm you understand the rules of the form on completing it that you make yourself open to penalties / being charged with something.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidkayla
Hi,
When I use the free HMRC online tool for submitting a tax return I get the following warning:
You cannot use this service if you are a non resident or non domiciled in the uk.
I am non domiciled and i have income in the UK and have just received a another request to submit a return.

Does anyone out there just ignore this warning and submit anyway? It seems to work. I understand that it is technically the wrong thing to do.

David.
HMRC are away with the fairies. We left the UK 12 years ago and sorted out all our tax affairs before we left. HMRC confirmed this in documentation that we still have. Last year, my wife got hit up for tax returns going back 9 years - all the time we'd lived here. We queried why and were told that they had to be done or she would be hit with penalties. I guess it was to do with properties we had owned over there and they were angling for some kind of bullshit CGT liability. As expected, there was no tax owing and she actually got back a few hundred quid (don't know how that worked)!

If I was you, I'd just submit it
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

David.
The form you posted states that there are other ways of submitting online if you can't use that one, have you checked that?
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The form you posted states that there are other ways of submitting online if you can't use that one, have you checked that?
You can submit online if you use commercial software, rather than HMRC's own. Of course, you have to buy that....
Old Jun 7th 2018, 8:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

b
Originally Posted by louie
You can submit online if you use commercial software, rather than HMRC's own. Of course, you have to buy that....
Bugger!
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:41 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I submitted for years on the HMRC website, all the time with my address registered with them in Australia. It wasn't until I spoke to someone else that I realised I wasn't supposed to be doing that. This year I have used some software called TaxCalc which if anything was even easier than HMRC and still came out with a $0 return. Cost 25 pounds.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

David.
I know lots of expats who use it anyway and have been doing so for years with no problems.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:37 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the issue is the inability to submit the Residence supplement through the HMRC web site.

Commercial tax software is needed, or appoint a tax accountant. In case of need: www.bdhtax.com

If you don't lodge the Residence supplement you can't claim non residence, and the UK personal allowance - the personal allowance has a value if you have (say) net rental income in the UK.

Best regards.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:39 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
HMRC are away with the fairies. We left the UK 12 years ago and sorted out all our tax affairs before we left. HMRC confirmed this in documentation that we still have. Last year, my wife got hit up for tax returns going back 9 years - all the time we'd lived here. We queried why and were told that they had to be done or she would be hit with penalties. I guess it was to do with properties we had owned over there and they were angling for some kind of bullshit CGT liability. As expected, there was no tax owing and she actually got back a few hundred quid (don't know how that worked)!

If I was you, I'd just submit it
Yes, you have to watch the Non Resident CGT returns in the UK these days, if you sell a residential property in the UK as a non resident person.

The NRCGT return is to be lodged within 30 days of a sale completing, whether or not you have any CGT to pay in the UK.

This is a new regime that came in on the 6th of April, 2015.

Best regards.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Yes, you have to watch the Non Resident CGT returns in the UK these days, if you sell a residential property in the UK as a non resident person.

The NRCGT return is to be lodged within 30 days of a sale completing, whether or not you have any CGT to pay in the UK.

This is a new regime that came in on the 6th of April, 2015.

Best regards.

Good to know

Thankfully we are now done with all that crap
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:52 am
Just Joined

davidkayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I submitted for years on the HMRC website, all the time with my address registered with them in Australia. It wasn't until I spoke to someone else that I realised I wasn't supposed to be doing that. This year I have used some software called TaxCalc which if anything was even easier than HMRC and still came out with a $0 return. Cost 25 pounds.
I have bitten the bullet and have decide to purchase Taxcalc and file online in jan 2019. I am technology literate but I am worried that I won't understand a thing in the software. You have said it is easy, I hope I'll be able to battle through!

For the expats who use the UK tax office's software, be careful because when I phoned up a rep said I definitly couldn't use that software because I am resident abroad. I haven't heard a rep explicitly say that before.

If anyone knows of any other simple software please let me know.
David.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 9:40 pm
Migration Agent

Hi David.

Yours is a timely post given 31 October is usually the last date for delivery of a paper based UK tax return.

Here's an extract from the HMRC website (emboldening added): https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...sending-return

Using software or paper forms

You can choose to send any Self Assessment return using software or paper forms.

You must use one of these options to send returns:
  • for a partnership
  • for a trust and estate
  • if you get income from a trust
  • if you lived abroad as a non-resident
  • if you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter
You must use a paper form if you need to send a tax return for trustees of registered pension schemes (SA970).

The deadline for paper forms is 31 October (or 31 January if you’re a trustee of a registered pension scheme or a non-resident company).

Best regards.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 9:42 pm
Migration Agent

https://taxfiler.co.uk/non-agent

Have a look at Taxfiler too.

Or feel able to contact me through bdh Tax.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.