Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using British passport after obtaining australian citizenship

Using British passport after obtaining australian citizenship

Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:46 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Using British passport after obtaining australian citizenship

I hope someone can help with a question that I just can't find the answer to from searching the archives.

I have my Australian citizenship ceremony in mid Sept and I understand that I then immediately become an Australian citizen. I then need to fly overseas a week after that ceremony and so won't be able to get an Australian passport in time.

Can I still use my British passport containing my PR visa to re-enter Australia (even though the PR visa lapses on obtaining citizenship) or do I need to take some proof of my Australian citizenship?

Thanks for any help you can give

Cheers

GLR

ps - been in Brisbane for 2.5 years now and absolutely love it here. Best decision we ever made...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using British passport after obtaining australian citizenship

Originally Posted by GLR
I then need to fly overseas a week after that ceremony and so won't be able to get an Australian passport in time.

You can get an Aussie passport the same day, you can in Perth anyway. Costs more, natch but you can do it. I'm sure you'd be able to do it in Brisbane.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as you get citizenship your PR visa is cancelled so you can't come in using the UK passport. If you can't get a passport before the trip you will probably have to either postpone the citizenship until after the trip or postpone the trip until you have the Aus passport.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:29 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Hi Renth & Moneypen

After your warnings about using the old passport, I decided to call the citizenship and passport offices. I've arranged an appointment to lodge my passport application two days after the citizenship ceremony and I'll put it on the priority path so I should have it back well before I fly.

The citizenship helpline did say that the Immigration officials will let you back into Australia using a British passport containing a valid PR visa, even if you've subsequently obtaining citizenship but it might take longer to get through the airport.

Definitely worth playing it safe though!

Cheers

GLR
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:09 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi Renth & Moneypen

After your warnings about using the old passport, I decided to call the citizenship and passport offices. I've arranged an appointment to lodge my passport application two days after the citizenship ceremony and I'll put it on the priority path so I should have it back well before I fly.

The citizenship helpline did say that the Immigration officials will let you back into Australia using a British passport containing a valid PR visa, even if you've subsequently obtaining citizenship but it might take longer to get through the airport.

Definitely worth playing it safe though!

Cheers

GLR

Hi!

Can I be nosey and ask how much was Australia Passport? Think we should maybe get that sorted out since we became citizens recently.

Cheers!

Maggie
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As soon as you get citizenship your PR visa is cancelled so you can't come in using the UK passport. If you can't get a passport before the trip you will probably have to either postpone the citizenship until after the trip or postpone the trip until you have the Aus passport.
Or get an Australian passport overseas.

Or use a New Zealand passport (which technically you shouldn't do, but can be done in emergency), if of course you're a New Zealander.

Or (in limited cases) get an Australian Declaratory Visa stamped in a foreign passport.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Does becoming an aus citizen mean you give up british citizenships?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it means you have dual nationality or citizenship.

You can apply to both UK and Australia for passports.

Many airline crew etc do this and use UK passport to get to short queue in UK airports and Australian passport to got to short queue on return to Australia.

Regards,

Maggie
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Just to reitterate... you can fly from oz to uk on british passport but must return to oz on your ozzie passport... reason is you would need a visa in you BP and you cant get a visa if you are australian.

And yes you will need your Australian citizenship certificate to get your australian passport.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Does becoming an aus citizen mean you give up british citizenships?
Not if you are a British citizen.

If you have some other kind of British nationality then it's a more complex question.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:32 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

On the last two trips I have left Oz on my Aus passport and arrived on my uk passport and then vice versa left on uk passport here and arrived on oz when we arrived there.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

If the answers is that you need an Aus passport you can get them issued in one day in brisbane. But you MUST make an appointment first, I think days in advance, cos they run out quickly.

If you give the passport no a call, you can book an appointment through them. One word of advice, get there early, if your not there 15 mins BEFORE your appointment they can cancel it.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:11 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MaggieM
Many airline crew etc do this and use UK passport to get to short queue in UK airports and Australian passport to got to short queue on return to Australia.
Crew enter the country using a GenDec document not a passport and we don't queue anywhere!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HCJ
Crew enter the country using a GenDec document not a passport and we don't queue anywhere!
And her inference would be that crew need a passport for every country they enter!

Higher baggage allowance required.....
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

We asked this question last week at our citizenship interview. According to the man we spoke to at DIAC the PR is cancelled as soon as you become a citizen and you are expected to get an Aussie passport, but they do give you a 12 month grace period when they will still let you in on your old UK passport.

Nikki
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.