Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using an agency to obtain a visa?

Using an agency to obtain a visa?

Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using an agency to obtain a visa?

Not a problem ... AC not offended at all ...

Best wishes.

Originally Posted by WendyC
Oooh, sorry Alan I forgot you didn't I

To the OP

Alan is very good and definately recommended
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:04 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Any recommendations for an agency that would just do the assessment stage? I'm emailing gomatilda to see if they will do this for us.
Concept Australia

http://www.conceptaustralia.co.uk

Or try Alan at Go Matilda

Nick
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We were granted our visas in January this year and we used an agent.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably not bother with an agent and go it alone. However, I didn’t know it at the time and really didn’t have a clue, I hadn’t even discovered this site, so using an agent was no big deal, it was just something I had to do to get my visa.

Without the agent’s advice I would definitively have failed my TRA assessment and for this alone I am glad I spent the money. It’s been said many times before, if you are up on what you need to do and your case is straight forward then go for it; if you are at all worried about the process and don’t think it will run smoothly then consider paying an agent.

Look around at different agents, because we just went for it and I think we probably could have saved money going to a cheaper agent. But at the end of the day, we now have a PR visa and come June we will be sitting on our patio in Queensland drinking a cold one, and the last thing I will be thinking about is how much I paid out to a migration agent.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
We were granted our visas in January this year and we used an agent.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably not bother with an agent and go it alone. However, I didn’t know it at the time and really didn’t have a clue, I hadn’t even discovered this site, so using an agent was no big deal, it was just something I had to do to get my visa.

Without the agent’s advice I would definitively have failed my TRA assessment and for this alone I am glad I spent the money. It’s been said many times before, if you are up on what you need to do and your case is straight forward then go for it; if you are at all worried about the process and don’t think it will run smoothly then consider paying an agent.

Look around at different agents, because we just went for it and I think we probably could have saved money going to a cheaper agent. But at the end of the day, we now have a PR visa and come June we will be sitting on our patio in Queensland drinking a cold one, and the last thing I will be thinking about is how much I paid out to a migration agent.

Agree with all of that. Money well spent I think
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

To Alan:

Apologies. This wasn't a rant about GoMatilda. Have nothing but good things to say about them with contact made so far. I'm just wondering if the fees we would have to pay a (any) agency is money well spent. I'm sure you can understand (Don't I feel like an idiot).

Anyway were going to an Oz Expo this weekend. We will then make a decision to A/ Go with agency for skills assessment, B/go with agency for skills assessment and visa application or c/ Go it on our own.

From feedback here I think it's gonna be option B.

Final question is does anyone have any idea how long skills assessment takes?

TIA.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

To Alan:

Apologies. This wasn't a rant about GoMatilda. Have nothing but good things to say about them with contact made so far. I'm just wondering if the fees we would have to pay a (any) agency is money well spent. I'm sure you can understand (Don't I feel like an idiot).

Anyway were going to an Oz Expo this weekend. We will then make a decision to A/ Go with agency for skills assessment, B/go with agency for skills assessment and visa application or c/ Go it on our own.

From feedback here I think it's gonna be option B.

Final question is does anyone have any idea how long skills assessment takes?

TIA.

They can take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months. Most seem to be taking about 4 - 5 weeks. You can check out timelines on www.austimelines.com

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, and you know where we are if you need us.

Wendy x
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC
They can take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months. Most seem to be taking about 4 - 5 weeks. You can check out timelines on www.austimelines.com

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, and you know where we are if you need us.

Wendy x
Thank you Wendy and everyone else. Loads more questions... New thread needed me thinks...
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you Wendy and everyone else. Loads more questions... New thread needed me thinks...

Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We have made contact with Gomatilda.com to enquire about obtaining a skilled migrant visa for Australia. They have carried out an initial assessment (free) on my wife's occupation, qualifications & work experience. They have contacted us to say that she would qualify for the 120 points required for the visa

They have also sent us a schedule of their fee's and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw them. Costs for the visa are skills assessment $350 plus $1935 for the actual visa. We will then have to budget for medical and police checks. However Gomatilda's fees are skills assessment stage 1 £240, stage 2 £540, visa application £600 plus VAT. This seems extremely expensive to apply for a visa for us. Am I missing something? Do they do anything other than apply for the visa? Do they also source a house and get you a job for those fee's?

Perhaps the most important question I have is how difficult is it to apply for the visa without an agency (ie on your own).

TIA.
Our agency has been a god send and we probably couldn't have done everything we did without them. We've had unusual and entirely unanticipated situations pop up during our application e.g. my husband being offered a job in the US, deciding to get married quickly in the UK after all, and they were able to ensure that we did everything correctly, and advise us on all the changes each change of circumstances would require.

I'm sure that we could have done the application alone, the process doesn't appear to be difficult just very time consuming, and that is where the agency have come up trumps for us.

I think we've paid about £1,500 for our agency, but I loose track!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:49 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we could help !!

We found this site the most informative when we first started out too.

Can only give personal experiences !!

Nick
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nick72
Glad we could help !!

We found this site the most informative when we first started out too.

Can only give personal experiences !!

Nick
We paid around £1250 for an initial assessment, Vetassess application, and visa application. Without the agent I think we'd have gone down a very tortuous and possibly non-productive route with the ACS RPL application, wasting time and money, and becoming very frustrated in the process.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I think I paid around 2k, and yep, I probably did do most of the work myself but they did tell me exactly what to do and came back to me a couple of times to cross mt t's and dot my i's so to speak. I ended up getting my PR in 7 months and to be honest, I was very busy with alot of other things and it gave me confidence to know that a professional was doing it and knew the traps and what can cause delays. Yep, could have done it myself, and hindsight is a beautifulo thing, but no regrets at all using an agent.

If I had to cut costs, I would have done the back end but still used them for the skills assessment, this is where they really helped me. It came through in a matter of weeks.

arrived 2 years this month!

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
We paid around £1250 for an initial assessment, Vetassess application, and visa application. Without the agent I think we'd have gone down a very tortuous and possibly non-productive route with the ACS RPL application, wasting time and money, and becoming very frustrated in the process.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:52 am
superam74

Hi,

We have made contact with Gomatilda.com to enquire about obtaining a skilled migrant visa for Australia. They have carried out an initial assessment (free) on my wife's occupation, qualifications & work experience. They have contacted us to say that she would qualify for the 120 points required for the visa

They have also sent us a schedule of their fee's and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw them. Costs for the visa are skills assessment $350 plus $1935 for the actual visa. We will then have to budget for medical and police checks. However Gomatilda's fees are skills assessment stage 1 £240, stage 2 £540, visa application £600 plus VAT. This seems extremely expensive to apply for a visa for us. Am I missing something? Do they do anything other than apply for the visa? Do they also source a house and get you a job for those fee's?

Perhaps the most important question I have is how difficult is it to apply for the visa without an agency (ie on your own).

TIA.
Welcome to the world of visa application! :scared: £ :scared:£ :scared: £
I think go matilda's prices are reasonable & the service is excellent.