Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Card Reader needed urgently in Melbourne, please help!

UK Card Reader needed urgently in Melbourne, please help!

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

sharnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Card Reader needed urgently in Melbourne, please help!

Hello there

I hope that someone can help. I moved to Melbourne from Manchester just over a week ago and have been trying in vain to get my bank to transfer money to me from my UK bank account to my new Australian bank account. Unfortunately I don't have a UK card reader here and so have been relying on faxing the information across, but this just hasn't worked due to many many banking errors.

I'm pretty desperate for cash now as a result, and have exhausted all my other options. Does anyone out there have a UK card reader that I can borrow to do the international payment from my bank account? It doesn't matter what bank the card reader is for, they all work the same.

Thanks! X
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Card Reader needed urgently in Melbourne, please help!

Originally Posted by sharnic
Hello there

I hope that someone can help. I moved to Melbourne from Manchester just over a week ago and have been trying in vain to get my bank to transfer money to me from my UK bank account to my new Australian bank account. Unfortunately I don't have a UK card reader here and so have been relying on faxing the information across, but this just hasn't worked due to many many banking errors.

I'm pretty desperate for cash now as a result, and have exhausted all my other options. Does anyone out there have a UK card reader that I can borrow to do the international payment from my bank account? It doesn't matter what bank the card reader is for, they all work the same.

Thanks! X
I have one, you're welcome to come here to use it. I live in Toronto NSW.

Hino
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

sharnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hino

Thanks for the offer, I'm looking for someone in Melbourne though!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

What do you mean by card reader?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharnic
It doesn't matter what bank the card reader is for, they all work the same.

Thanks! X
Hi Sharnic,

I have one that you're welcome to borrow. I work in the CBD - if you PM me, I'll give you my contact details.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

windy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you need to check which Bank? Barclays Code readers are universal but HSBC's are personal and will only work with the registered owners security stuff.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windy1
Maybe you need to check which Bank? Barclays Code readers are universal but HSBC's are personal and will only work with the registered owners security stuff.
OK, mine is from Smile.co.uk (part of the co-operative bank)
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windy1
Good point Windy, my Barclays card reader was just slung across the counter so I guess it can be easily replaced, but the one I received from CBA had to be registered on line before it would work, so I guess it must be somehow linked to my accounts.

Now that you've given me the 'heads up', I'll have to see if I can organise a spare for when I'm traveling. I've just realised without that little bugger, I could lose access to my main accounts in an eyeblink.