Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Useful info re Oz driving licence

Useful info re Oz driving licence

Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Useful info re Oz driving licence

Hi all, thought I would post this as buying a car in Oz seems to have been quite topical lately.

Licence - when you get to Oz, register to get your Oz licence asap - it may vary from state to state but in Vic, I just had to sit a written test - 30 questions about the highway code (there were some Qs about drink drive limits so worth checking up the state highway code). The advantage of having the Oz licence was that I got a reduction on my car insurance. (When I first enquired about insurance I was given 2 quotes - one based on a UK-only licence and one based on an Oz licence)

No claims discount - bring eveidence of your UK NCD as this can be transferred to your Oz insurance.

Insurance Scams! - my excess is $400. In the small print it says "licenced for less than 2 years - additional $200" (i.e. $600). I recently had to claim on the insurance (garage door closed on to car roof!) and the company tried to charge me $600 saying I had held a licence for less than 2 years. I contested this and said that I had held a full licence for 15 years - they then said "you have only held an Oz licence for 18 months, which is less than 2 years". The small print doesn't say "oz licence for less than 2 years", it just says "licence for less than 2 years". I then asked them how they were able to give me maximum no claims discount (i.e. >5 years) if I had only held a licence for 18 months. They were stumped and admitted that they weren't in a position to charge me $600 excess and dropped it back to $400. They make me laugh - they said "well, on this occasion we'll let you pay just the $400 excess" I told them I had no intention of paying $600 anyway until they could point me in the direction of where it said "Oz licence for less than 2 years"!!!

HP
Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Insurance companies - they should all burn in hell!!

Good for you for standing up for what is right!!

Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:15 pm
WBB

slightly off topic but did you read about cilla black's insurance company refusing to pay out £1 million because she had no locks on her downstairs windows?

this was a pro job and they would of got in if she had bars on the windows, they will wriggle out of anything.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:53 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

As welshboybilly points out

read that small print!!!

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Silly question but, Is the Highway code the same for all states?

Any info on what you have to do in Queensland?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:06 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Billabong
Insurance companies - they should all burn in hell!!

Good for you for standing up for what is right!!

Legalised thieves, the bloody lot of em.