Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Used vs. new cars?

Used vs. new cars?

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Vanou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Used vs. new cars?

I've been looking at prices on used cars sites. I'm surprised to see the prices are quite close or above the regular price for a new car.

Does anybody know what you have to add to a new car's price to obtain the REAL price (Gst, rego, stamp duty,...)? How much should we add approximately (in %)?
Also, when you buy used, is it the real price or do you also have to add something to it? Do you have to pay again for registration for example?

We're looking at buying our car in Victoria, in case it changes anything...

Thanx for your help.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:48 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used vs. new cars?

Originally posted by Vanou
I've been looking at prices on used cars sites. I'm surprised to see the prices are quite close or above the regular price for a new car.

Does anybody know what you have to add to a new car's price to obtain the REAL price (Gst, rego, stamp duty,...)? How much should we add approximately (in %)?
Also, when you buy used, is it the real price or do you also have to add something to it? Do you have to pay again for registration for example?

Thanx for your help.

Used cars hold their value (no salt on roads) and may appear more expensive than in other countries. European brand cars are expensive, Holden and Ford and Japanese cars cheaper, I would go for Japanese - over to someone else on the rego costs etc.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jayr.

I suppose what I really wanted to know is what are the hidden costs behind each type of car?

Besides the obvious, would a AUS$20 000 used car come cheaper than a AUS$20 000 new car because you may not pay as much taxes in the end? Or is it roughly the same? Just wondering...

Does anyone know?
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vanou

Thanx for your help.

You may find this site usefull

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/he...wer/buy2.shtml

PC
Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Waouh! Thank you Porkchop!

This link you gave me is just what I needed and more! We've never even bought a car before so the tips will all come pretty handy for us.

Thanx again
Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Not much in it between new and old - stamp duty and rego on both. Bit more expensive for new car with first rego.