Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Used cars in Aus

Used cars in Aus

Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road
Default Used cars in Aus

OK, I see loads of cars with high Kms, would it be fair to suggest that the mileage means less in Aus than that for a car with an equivilent number of miles in the UK?

I am always amazed at how much cars cost here!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used cars in Aus

Originally Posted by Melchels View Post
OK, I see loads of cars with high Kms, would it be fair to suggest that the mileage means less in Aus than that for a car with an equivilent number of miles in the UK?

I am always amazed at how much cars cost here!
yes and no I would say. There are a lot more 6 cylinder cars in Aus than there are in the UK. 6 Cylinder engines are supposed to go further and longer. So if you're looking at 6 cylinder (Commodore or Falcon) then kms probably don't mean as much as they do in the UK. You'd still take a lower speedometre car over a higher one though. Plus remember, you are looking at kms not miles
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Im saving up for a small automatic car, I know bugger all about cars so dont know where to start or what is a good make.

I saw a nice little Holden Barina but have heard they are not very good.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders View Post
yes and no I would say. There are a lot more 6 cylinder cars in Aus than there are in the UK. 6 Cylinder engines are supposed to go further and longer. So if you're looking at 6 cylinder (Commodore or Falcon) then kms probably don't mean as much as they do in the UK. You'd still take a lower speedometre car over a higher one though. Plus remember, you are looking at kms not miles
There is NO reason at all why a 6 cylinder car will go further or longer - sorry, but that is not correct at all, as it makes no difference. A poorly maintained 6 cylinder will last less than half the time of a 4 cylinder or anything else.

What it does mean is that a car that has done lots of km's that has done large distances will probabaly mean that the mileage means less than it did in the UK - simply because of the bigger distances involved. And with more people and mor ecars in the UK, the chancest of you finding a high mileage car that has just done motorways is harder. With less traffic away from cities in Aus, large mileages mean the engine is ticking over less as well, and being maintained at a constant rpm.

There are many other factors, but your original point, OP, would be correct in general terms, although you need to look at service history etc.

Barina - depends on which one. The European version was good enough - the Daewoo clone/import was a total piece of junk as is most of the stuff Holden import from ex-Daewoo...
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

A 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder will last longer than others for the average motorist. The average motorist will drive a mix of city roads and highways. The highways will push the car to 100 or 110km/h and higher if you dare. Higher speeds means higher revolutions in smaller engines but not for the larger engines which have better torque at low revs. High revs put strain on the engines so the 6 and 8-cylinders will be less stressed because they don't need to rev as high to get the car going and keep it going. Driving through the CBDs will stress all engines with the constant stop start revving. If you intend to live a little further away from the built-up areas then you will benefit from 6 and 8-cylinder cars. They are quieter and more economical at high speeds too.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by discobay View Post
A 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder will last longer than others for the average motorist. The average motorist will drive a mix of city roads and highways. The highways will push the car to 100 or 110km/h and higher if you dare. Higher speeds means higher revolutions in smaller engines but not for the larger engines which have better torque at low revs. High revs put strain on the engines so the 6 and 8-cylinders will be less stressed because they don't need to rev as high to get the car going and keep it going. Driving through the CBDs will stress all engines with the constant stop start revving. If you intend to live a little further away from the built-up areas then you will benefit from 6 and 8-cylinder cars. They are quieter and more economical at high speeds too.
Absolute rubbish from start to finish particularly the bit about being more economical
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Apart from showing your ignorance what contribution have you made?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2 View Post
Absolute rubbish from start to finish particularly the bit about being more economical
That's bit harsh. My own experience is that larger engines do seem to go further but saying that it was an old Merc 3.0 diesel, they do go on forever
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
Im saving up for a small automatic car, I know bugger all about cars so dont know where to start or what is a good make.

I saw a nice little Holden Barina but have heard they are not very good.
I don't about the Barina, I did look at a couple but the boot was tiny on them, I have a pram and I like to shop!! So I bought the Holden Astra automatic and I love it, it's big enough not to feel like a toy car but small enough to be nippy and easy to park.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:27 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2 View Post
well mate I look at facts. I did a trip from Brisbane to Yepoon and managed to do 850kms on my tank of fuel (65 litre Holden Commodore 3.8l) a few years back. Economy 13.07kms/litre
I did the same trip in my Holden Barina, a full tank of fuel (40 litre, 1.4litre engine) and managed only 520kms. Economy 12.75kms/litre

So a small car with an engine nearly 3 times smaller than my old commodore on 100/110km roads is less economical.

FYI, both were regularly maintained by Holden every 6-8 months.

Top Gear did a feature on this a few years back were they sent the Toyota Pruis around the test track where they had to go full speed around the track and they compared this against a gas-guzzling V8 car (I can't remember what it was exactly) but the theory said that the Prius would win hands down. It got battered by the high performance car which went much further than the Prius. The conclusion was, it's not what you drive but how you drive it. Ie: a small car is great around the city, but a larger car is more suited to the higher speed roads
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:24 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

well mate I look at facts. I did a trip from Brisbane to Yepoon and managed to do 850kms on my tank of fuel (65 litre Holden Commodore 3.8l) a few years back. Economy 13.07kms/litre
I did the same trip in my Holden Barina, a full tank of fuel (40 litre, 1.4litre engine) and managed only 520kms. Economy 12.75kms/litre

So a small car with an engine nearly 3 times smaller than my old commodore on 100/110km roads is less economical.

FYI, both were regularly maintained by Holden every 6-8 months.

Top Gear did a feature on this a few years back were they sent the Toyota Pruis around the test track where they had to go full speed around the track and they compared this against a gas-guzzling V8 car (I can't remember what it was exactly) but the theory said that the Prius would win hands down. It got battered by the high performance car which went much further than the Prius. The conclusion was, it's not what you drive but how you drive it. Ie: a small car is great around the city, but a larger car is more suited to the higher speed roads
Spot on Mate, well put....
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:33 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

theory said that the Prius would win hands down.
That's a false premise to begin with.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said, total codswallop.

The revolutions of the engine are primarily governed by the gearbox. So it depends on the gear you are in.

You can buy brand new Territories and Falcons that have 4 speed auto boxes - and that is antiquated. But a six speed box will allow for different gear and diff ratios and thus provide far more economical cruising and driving. A 1.4 litre engine with 6 speeds could be turning over at the same rpm as a 4.0 litre 4 speed auto, yet the smaller drag and less weight will work in the favour of a smaller car.

As for high revs putting strain on the engine - yes, but miniscule in the overall scheme of things and virtually irrelevant. Not servicing an engine does far more damage than warming up and red lining - and in some cases, an engine run in, warmed up and driven to the red line will be just as good as others...

'Constant stop start reving' - what does that mean? Do you sit there and rev your engine then? No, but if you mean pulling away and stopping, that means naff all as well - that has more of an effect on a clutch in a manual and using the torque converter more in an auto, but does not necessarily means it 's bad - you just get worse fuel consumption in any car, and a bigger engine will probably see it worse as well.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slipshot View Post
As others have said, total codswallop.
So far you seem to be in the minority.

The revolutions of the engine are primarily governed by the gearbox. So it depends on the gear you are in.
No the driving conditions have a huge contribution. Ever driven up a hill?

A 1.4 litre engine with 6 speeds could be turning over at the same rpm as a 4.0 litre 4 speed auto, yet the smaller drag and less weight will work in the favour of a smaller car.
Have you seen the smaller drag coefficient of a Hyundai Excel or Holden Barina lately?

As for high revs putting strain on the engine - yes, but miniscule in the overall scheme of things and virtually irrelevant. Not servicing an engine does far more damage than warming up and red lining - and in some cases, an engine run in, warmed up and driven to the red line will be just as good as others...
Any reasonable person would have assumed all things being equal in the comparison. Are you going to compare the detrimental effects of not servicing a small car with a big car now?

'Constant stop start reving' - what does that mean? Do you sit there and rev your engine then? No, but if you mean pulling away and stopping, that means naff all as well - that has more of an effect on a clutch in a manual and using the torque converter more in an auto, but does not necessarily means it 's bad - you just get worse fuel consumption in any car, and a bigger engine will probably see it worse as well.
I didn't say otherwise.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

So far you seem to be in the minority.

No the driving conditions have a huge contribution. Ever driven up a hill?

Have you seen the smaller drag coefficient of a Hyundai Excel or Holden Barina lately?

Any reasonable person would have assumed all things being equal in the comparison. Are you going to compare the detrimental effects of not servicing a small car with a big car now?

I didn't say otherwise.
Not really in the minority since what you said was incorrect factually - however.

Driving up a hill - what relevance to my point?. The gearbox determines the speed of the engine and will change down. Same for every car going up the hill - according to you, a large engine 6 or 8 cylinder will be better, but it's the same hill - but the gearbox ratios determine it, regardless of the size of the engine. Sure a 6 cylinder has greater torque normally (although a turbo or s/charger changes that philosophy as well) but the fact still remains a 6 cylinder with a 4 speed box will have different, and thus less ratios than a 4 cylinder 6 speed automatic and thus one could be better - there's no simple answer which you seem to say there is. I guess you have little knowledge of cars then...

I'm completely bemused by your third point - have no idea what you are saying as you appear to be agreeing with me.

Fourth - does not matter since you have again missed the point.

And your last point. what you said did not make sense and I tried to interpret it. To say otherwise - you made a reference to constant stop start revving - what does that mean? Constant stopping and starting is different to revving which by it's nature means you are out of gear and just spinning the engine.

I'll get my coat...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.