Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Used car purchase with little deposit?

Used car purchase with little deposit?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Berena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Used car purchase with little deposit?

Hey

My son , a recent arrival, starting work in three weeks has priced a used car at $20000, the dealer who will arrange finance says they need $5000 deposit as he is newly arrived in Oz and no employment history in this country. He will be working as a police officer with WAPOL. any views on the finances would be welcome.

Peter
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:47 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used car purchase with little deposit?

Originally Posted by Berena
Hey

My son , a recent arrival, starting work in three weeks has priced a used car at $20000, the dealer who will arrange finance says they need $5000 deposit as he is newly arrived in Oz and no employment history in this country. He will be working as a police officer with WAPOL. any views on the finances would be welcome.

Peter
Stay away from those sharks. Why not try a PolicCredit Union or other financial institution? Better yet, buy a cheaper car that gets him from A to B, save his money and then pay a far bigger deposit or cash. It's not like he'll be driving his car all the time. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it's legal and serves the purpose.

Police and Nurses Credit Society WA.
www.pncs.com.au

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 12th 2008 at 8:53 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

^ what they said!

There's no need to spend that much on a car, mine is perfectly decent and not falling to bits, cost under $5000. I don't think it's worth getting in to debt & servicing a loan in order to have a nicer car. Just get one he can afford now!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Berena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Stay away from those sharks. Why not try a PolicCredit Union or other financial institution? Better yet, buy a cheaper car that gets him from A to B, save his money and then pay a far bigger deposit or cash. It's not like he'll be driving his car all the time. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it's legal and serves the purpose.

Police and Nurses Credit Society WA.
www.pncs.com.au

Originally Posted by esperanza
^ what they said!

There's no need to spend that much on a car, mine is perfectly decent and not falling to bits, cost under $5000. I don't think it's worth getting in to debt & servicing a loan in order to have a nicer car. Just get one he can afford now!
Thanks guys for your comments - will look at pncs site
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by esperanza
^ what they said!

What did you manage to get for 5K? Thats likley to be my price range.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:31 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
We bought a 1988 Toyota Cressida for $5000.00 and it is fantastic, only had 100,000km (62,000miles) on the clock and is in superb condition. I have just got myself a 2004 Honda Accord V6 with 28,000k on the clock for $20,000.00

Being a fairly young (30) bloke myself I'm afraid with a car image is everything - even though the Cressida is by no means cool I ensure that it remains in spotless condition and is always shiny, you look as if you choose to drive that car and not forced to drive it. I agree stay away from used car dealers finance.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

www.carsguide.com.au

Click on search and it will bring up a section table of different price ranges.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 12th 2008 at 9:38 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
We bought a 1988 Toyota Cressida for $5000.00 and it is fantastic, only had 100,000km (62,000miles) on the clock and is in superb condition. I have just got myself a 2004 Honda Accord V6 with 28,000k on the clock for $20,000.00

Being a fairly young (30) bloke myself I'm afraid with a car image is everything - even though the Cressida is by no means cool I ensure that it remains in spotless condition and is always shiny, you look as if you choose to drive that car and not forced to drive it. I agree stay away from used car dealers finance.
Man that Cressida is uuuuuugglyyyy. And you cant polish a turd However - with a wife and two young kids on a single salary - practicality wins out over image - so I will keep this one in mind. Thanks again.

Love the Hondas though too dear.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:05 am

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Man that Cressida is uuuuuugglyyyy. And you cant polish a turd However - with a wife and two young kids on a single salary - practicality wins out over image - so I will keep this one in mind. Thanks again.

Love the Hondas though too dear.
I was at the car wash the other day and this drongo in a Commodore said that, and I said "You should know mate!"

It is ugly and I didn't like it at first, but it was the most advanced car at the time this side of BMW etc. and it has grown on me.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
I was at the car wash the other day and this drongo in a Commodore said that, and I said "You should know mate!"

It is ugly and I didn't like it at first, but it was the most advanced car at the time this side of BMW etc. and it has grown on me.
Just read a few user reviews of this car and have to say - quite impressed!

Looks like a decent well equipped and well built motor, albeit with the head gasket fault - defo on the radar now !

As for the commodore driver - well people in glass houses.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:43 am

Just read a few user reviews of this car and have to say - quite impressed!

Looks like a decent well equipped and well built motor, albeit with the head gasket fault - defo on the radar now !

As for the commodore driver - well people in glass houses.
The Head Gasket fault only blights the later 3.0 litre vesion which came out late 1988, mine is the early 1988 model with the 2.8 litre engine.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I got a little hyundia excel, there are quite a few on the roads so I figured it would be easy to have serviced etc. Also I drove a punto in the UK so didn't want a tank over here! Found the cars much bigger, on average, than the UK. Also my little excel is pretty fuel efficient. It was just under 10 years old when I bought it, and had less km on than many that I looked at. (kms much higher here than UK too, prepare to adjust your expectations!)

I know a few friends who have come over and picked up perfectly decent cars for well under $10,000, there's a lot out there.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

There's nothing wrong with getting finance from the dealer, as long as the interest rate is competitive and there are no extra fees. The contract should state the monthly repayment and total amount of interest in full. Make sure they're using a reputable finance company though, such as Esanda (ANZ bank).

You can often negotiate a better deal at the dealers if you're using finance through them, as they get a commission from the finance company. You can also negotiate the interest rate.

If you go directly through a finance company like Esanda yourself you won't be in the position to negotiate the price of the car down further and you may actually pay more in interest.

Or

There are finance brokers who will secure you the best rate. Look online. With no credit history you'll be looking at a 10-20% deposit.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

To add to my previous post, if you do go through the dealer and secure a good deal - make sure you tell them to list this as a condition: "contract validity subject to finance approval suitable to the borrower".

You then have an "out".