Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Use An Agent Or Apply For Visa Independently????

Use An Agent Or Apply For Visa Independently????

Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all
Default Use An Agent Or Apply For Visa Independently????

My husband and I want to apply for a skilled visa, should we use an agent or is it easy to apply independently?

Could anybody out there give me some advice. Thanks so much.

michelle
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Michelle,

To use an agent or not is dependant on how easy or complicated your application is likely to be. The things you have to consider are:

- Work experience, will a skills assessment be easy or complicated (what does the main applicant do)
- Children, do you have any, ages?, are there step kids, previous marriages etc that could complicate things
- How much work (reading and research) and worry you are prepared to do yourself, please don't underestimate the process because it can be stressful

And a whole heap of other things

We are using George Lombard as an agent (http://www.austimmigration.com.au) who uses this site as well as has been great so far and is reasonably priced too. Send me a PM and I will give you his contact details if you want.

The first thing I would do is got to http://www.immi.gov.au and start researching the whole process, do the points score etc etc and then see how you feel

Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:10 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Use An Agent Or Apply For Visa Independently????

Hi Michelle,

My husband and I thought about a migration agent but when we actually looked through the forms they weren't so daunting after all!

We thought about our case and realised that we didn't have any problems obtaining all the information required so just went for it.

My advice would be have a good look through the form and accompanying notes and if you are really stuck then maybe consider using an agent. We were granted our visa at the beginning of the month so did ok!

Good luck

Originally posted by michmel
My husband and I want to apply for a skilled visa, should we use an agent or is it easy to apply independently?

michelle
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:33 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

michelle
Hi Michelle,

If you feel confident enough to go ahead with you application on your own then i would suggest not using an agent.

I, myself will shortly be appointing an agent (GoMatilda) as we feel that we would be more comfortable dealing with our application that way. it is a little more expensive but if you can afford an agent, then go for it.

if you have any further questions then please do ask

regards

Rob
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

There may be some truth in saying that applications done by agents tend to be quicker? We didn't use one and are still waiting for our visa . . .any day now?? Others on here who had medicals posted off at about the same time have had their visa's now.

Mummy
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:23 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

I used an agent, Ian Harrop and Associates. A guy called Zeno Bolzicco was my man, what a top all round dude he is to.

I was a difficult case, as is always the case so the money for me was well worth it. It all depends on how easy it may be to get you through.

My hurdle was with the TRA (as is most peoples) but I was a Weapons Technician in the RAF and so translating that into civvy terms was the difficulty. I knew it would be and so Zeno pointed me in the right direction and through it all went.

Top man Zeno........
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:33 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ianj
I used an agent, Ian Harrop and Associates. A guy called Zeno Bolzicco was my man, what a top all round dude he is to.

I was a difficult case, as is always the case so the money for me was well worth it. It all depends on how easy it may be to get you through.

My hurdle was with the TRA (as is most peoples) but I was a Weapons Technician in the RAF and so translating that into civvy terms was the difficulty. I knew it would be and so Zeno pointed me in the right direction and through it all went.

Top man Zeno........

My wife will be assessed for her work experience by AIM, to which i am told that they are very strict so will be taking advice shortly from an agent.

Rob
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:31 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Yawn her comes my two peneth.

I would say use an agent if you have a busy life they will check your skill assessment and your application to the DIMIA they will help in many ways with Stat Decs and all the other myriad of forms you will have to fill out.
Don¡¦t whatever you do go with the first agent that looks flashy shop around search the board for agents see who others have used and there comments.
Try some of the lesser known agents available www.amblercollins.com in my case have been more than first class although they are not MARA agents, a lot of agents will tell you have to be MARA approved you don¡¦t!
I must say another point is many agents are far busier than they appear when you speak to them on your introductory phone call I got sucked in and lost money and I could never get hold of the agent for advise, some also forget that you are make a life changing decision and may need to talk over the smallest point. With Ambler they are a busy company but will always return your call if you don¡¦t end up speaking on your first call and don¡¦t mind even the stupidest questions.
Lastly UK based is better no good having to wait up till the middle of the night to talk over that very crucial point with your agent. Some agents have offices here and in Oz but again why phone the UK office for them then to pass the message on to your font of all knowledge who is already based in the land of milk and honey
If you are good with forms and have plenty of time and a decent internet connection then DIY all the information is on the relevant web sites including all the forms. Use this board a lot cos all the questions u have, have already been asked (mostly by me)¡K¡Kƒº

Good Luck.

Uni Nige`

Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:14 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

michelle
If you are a confident form filler...I'd say do it yourselve and save the money...