Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

USB hub for a laptop

USB hub for a laptop

Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default USB hub for a laptop

Hi all

Any recomendations for a USB hub to be used with a laptop
Want to be able to work a mouse, scanner and printer, a four port would do i think.

Thanks

Bill
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:45 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice
Default Re: USB hub for a laptop

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi all

Want to be able to work a mouse, scanner and printer, a four port would do i think.

Thanks

Bill
I have a Tevion USB2 powered 4 port hub. I use it on my Desktop PC to provide power to charge the wireless optical mouse when the PC is switched off, but can use it on my laptop as and when required. You definately need a powered hub if you are going to be running scanner and printer as well. Got mine from a mate who got it in Aldi for £10.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TheRossers
I have a Tevion USB2 powered 4 port hub. I use it on my Desktop PC to provide power to charge the wireless optical mouse when the PC is switched off, but can use it on my laptop as and when required. You definately need a powered hub if you are going to be running scanner and printer as well. Got mine from a mate who got it in Aldi for £10.

Cheers Tony
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:52 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi all

Thanks

Bill
I think they are all much the same. PC World does some good deals on deliveries to home. I just got a hub for my old desktop from a local shop for £15. No problem with the hardware but I struggled to set it up as there were no CD's / floppy disks so I had to scour the internet for a driver. I also had to reinstall the software for a couple of the devices afterwards so beware of these pitfalls.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:37 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I got one from Argos, think it was about £12 for a four USB hub.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Try to get one that is USB 2.0 NOT 1.1 if possible this will help for future upgrades,also its worth remembering that using a 4 port hub means the mouse,printer or whatever you plug into it will have to fight for resourses,ie they might not all work at the same time
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:04 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

www.ebuyer.com

usb2.

they`re all the same.... get whichever is the size/look you`d like. If it was for a desktop always go for a self-powered one, but with a laptop you don`t have that luxury.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormz
www.ebuyer.com

usb2.

they`re all the same.... get whichever is the size/look you`d like. If it was for a desktop always go for a self-powered one, but with a laptop you don`t have that luxury.
I dont know where you get your information but its out of date,There not the same,but you buy which ever one you want.i'll buy USB2.0 for higher speed data transfer...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:05 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Either I didn`t explain myself properly or you got the wrong end of the stick.

Get usb2. Then choose any as they are all the same, just choose the one you like the size/look of.

Hope that clears it up.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:06 pm
Superfreak!!

I don`t think you`d be able to get usb1.1 anymore anway.