USA move

Old May 6th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice
Default Re: USA move

Yes that's the way we went inter company transfer.

Unfortunately we got the wrong visa L instead of H. After 3yrs applied and got 2 year extension but after 5 years had to go, there appeared no way to change to a different visa even throwing money at immigration lawyers will not help.

Absolutely loved South Florida while we were there, and if there was any way to get back we would.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We are Ozzies in Silicon Valley.

!. Wtih regards to taxes, you will need to file tax returns in Australia for the period ending 30 Jun 2010. You will file taxes in the US for the period 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2010. They will take into account what period you were in the USA and what taxes you paid on your foreign investments. Remember going forward you will have to declare all your dividends etc. from your Australian investments on your US tax return and to pay US tax on them. I would suggest you get yourself a tax agent as soon as you get here and don't bother trying to do it yourself. Don't waste your time with H&R Block.

2. Appliances, don't bother bringing any of them. Make your life easy and get rid of them in Oz. Buy new locally, less stress of shipping them and if something goes wrong you can get it fixed. Think a plasma is only about $500 here.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can't apply for an RRV until her PR expires as far as I'm aware but if she's only six months off from citizenship and you have the house etc there shouldn't be a problem with her getting it.
She has PR that expires in 2013 however on the Immi website it says one should apply for RRV 'before' they leave Australia?
Old May 6th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Just out of curiosity... how did you guys all manage to move to the US anyway? I thought it was nigh-on impossible unless you married a US citizen or were lucky enough to get an inter-company transfer (and prove no Americans could do your job)...??
Hi there, visa is taken care of. Company has sponsored.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vicky88
We are Ozzies in Silicon Valley.

!. Wtih regards to taxes, you will need to file tax returns in Australia for the period ending 30 Jun 2010. You will file taxes in the US for the period 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2010. They will take into account what period you were in the USA and what taxes you paid on your foreign investments. Remember going forward you will have to declare all your dividends etc. from your Australian investments on your US tax return and to pay US tax on them. I would suggest you get yourself a tax agent as soon as you get here and don't bother trying to do it yourself. Don't waste your time with H&R Block.

2. Appliances, don't bother bringing any of them. Make your life easy and get rid of them in Oz. Buy new locally, less stress of shipping them and if something goes wrong you can get it fixed. Think a plasma is only about $500 here.
Hi, appreciate that.

I have a home year which we will rent out, at least initially, and make a rental loss on it (very common to have -ve income on rental property as it can be set off against salary income here).

It sounds logical that in US they would tax me for Jan10 to Dec 10. Does that mean they will tax me for Australian Income Jan-10 to May-10 and USA income June 10-Dec 10?
Old May 7th 2010, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to declare all the income you earn for the calendar year, regardless of where you were resident. You will need to know how many days you were resident in California/US as they use that to calculate your liability.

BTW depending on salary, you may or may not be able to take a deduction for a loss on your rental property. You have to realise deductions phase out for high income earners.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vicky88
You have to declare all the income you earn for the calendar year, regardless of where you were resident. You will need to know how many days you were resident in California/US as they use that to calculate your liability.

BTW depending on salary, you may or may not be able to take a deduction for a loss on your rental property. You have to realise deductions phase out for high income earners.
Thanks,

I believe the the max allowance for overseas rental loss is $25,000 BUT is reduced by 50% of the amount by which AGI (with certain other adjustments) exceeds $100,000 (assuming married filing joint). - thanks to USA forum

So, if my income married filed joint is 105k then my max allowance would be 25k-5k/2 = 25k-2.5k = 22.5k ?
Old May 7th 2010, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Cars are cheaper, Appliances are cheaper, but make sure your employer is not making you work 24-7. If you are going to work for a multinational you should be ok, but smaller companies tend to make you work a lot more.

I have not worked in Australia, but can for a fact tell you about US work culture-work never stops. I am not complaining but you are a work machine-pretty much. Vacation allowances are shorter and Medical contributions are atleast 200 dollars a month.

On the other side, enjoy your new adventure-its a beautiful country.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scaria197
Cars are cheaper, Appliances are cheaper, but make sure your employer is not making you work 24-7. If you are going to work for a multinational you should be ok, but smaller companies tend to make you work a lot more.

I have not worked in Australia, but can for a fact tell you about US work culture-work never stops. I am not complaining but you are a work machine-pretty much. Vacation allowances are shorter and Medical contributions are atleast 200 dollars a month.

On the other side, enjoy your new adventure-its a beautiful country.
Thanks a lot. I will be working for a multi national. Working hours are going to be standard although there will be pain earlier in the month. That is no different (professionall) from Australia.

Insurance will be 250+ for a couple (North Cali tends to be more expensive - PPO plan).

Vacation time has been negotiated so happy with that.

I can not wait!
Old May 7th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Good luck ..we will be moving Down under in a few months...
Old May 7th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scaria197

Good luck ..we will be moving Down under in a few months...
From and TO ?
Old May 7th 2010, 9:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
She has PR that expires in 2013 however on the Immi website it says one should apply for RRV 'before' they leave Australia?
In order to be allowed back in. However she still has three years left on her PR so she's not entitled to an RRV. I think there are instances where you can apply for an RRV out of the country but it's generally intended for people living here who chose not to get citizenship but need to travel after the PR expires.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I'm married to an Australian - I had permanent resident status about 6 months before we packed up and moved back to Canada. When it was about to expire - 5yrs later - I applied for the Return Resident Visa and it was granted, giving me another 5yr permanent resident visa. I was in Canada at the time (we just returned to OZ in Feb - 7yrs after we left)

I wrote a letter on why I thought I should be given the RRV and allowed to maintain my permanent resident status. Just read the rules to applying for the RRV.

I also got Australian citizenship while still living in Canada.

So it can be done!

As for cost for moving your stuff to the US, I would probably figure on about 5000-10000. We moved our stuff from Canada to Townsville (still waiting on it to get here, been almost 4 months) and its cost us around the 10,000 mark.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paularn
I'm married to an Australian - I had permanent resident status about 6 months before we packed up and moved back to Canada. When it was about to expire - 5yrs later - I applied for the Return Resident Visa and it was granted, giving me another 5yr permanent resident visa. I was in Canada at the time (we just returned to OZ in Feb - 7yrs after we left)

I wrote a letter on why I thought I should be given the RRV and allowed to maintain my permanent resident status. Just read the rules to applying for the RRV.

I also got Australian citizenship while still living in Canada.

So it can be done!

As for cost for moving your stuff to the US, I would probably figure on about 5000-10000. We moved our stuff from Canada to Townsville (still waiting on it to get here, been almost 4 months) and its cost us around the 10,000 mark.
Thanks. Just a couple of questions please.

1. You mentioned you moved to Canada and moved back to AU did you? How did you manage to get citizenship whlie in Canada? DId you satisfy the 4 year rule (physically to be in Australia)?

2. 10k for shipping from Canada to Townsville would probably be equal distance for Sydney to San Fran. In any case, could you tell me what stuff you go? I am looking to move 2 bedroom unit so it will be couch (3 seater + 2 seater + ott), dining table, bed, side tables, centre table, utensils, clothes, home decor etc. Did you do a shared container? Did you have insurance and was it included in the 10k?

Let us know. Cheers

Last edited by E3only; May 7th 2010 at 11:45 am.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

from USA to Sydney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.