USA to AUS

Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA to AUS

LA is a hellish urban cesspool.

Sydney headed that way.

Denver is not bigger than Melbourne.

I am pleased there are more cows where I am than people in my shire.

Last edited by carcajou; Nov 25th 2019 at 9:19 am.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
LA is a hellish urban cesspool.

Sydney headed that way.

Denver is not bigger than Melbourne.

I am pleased there are more cows where I am than people in my shire.
What's wrong with LA? I quite like it. The public transport is rubbish but other than that, there's plenty to like about it.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter.st.giles
Cost of living is really expensive in OZ too since everything is imported?
Well not everything is imported.

We have great wine growing areas, so wine is cheap.
We have farms here so fruit, vegetables and meat can be cheap (depends where you shop).
Most clothes are imported from China, but they are cheap too.

The only really expensive thing I think is books, I wanted to buy a new book and the price was quoted as $45.00. Then I would need $10.00 petrol or $7.00 train ticket to pick it up, or they could post it out for $12.00, plus it would take three weeks to reach me. So instead I brought it online from The Book Depository in the UK. It cost me $20.00 with free postage and I had it five days later.

Old Dec 1st 2019, 12:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess
Well not everything is imported.

We have great wine growing areas, so wine is cheap.
We have farms here so fruit, vegetables and meat can be cheap (depends where you shop).
Most clothes are imported from China, but they are cheap too.

The only really expensive thing I think is books, I wanted to buy a new book and the price was quoted as $45.00. Then I would need $10.00 petrol or $7.00 train ticket to pick it up, or they could post it out for $12.00, plus it would take three weeks to reach me. So instead I brought it online from The Book Depository in the UK. It cost me $20.00 with free postage and I had it five days later.
I buy my books from the Book Depository in Australia. Usually get them in 2 - 3 days.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I buy my books from the Book Depository in Australia. Usually get them in 2 - 3 days.
You do have to check prices though.

Book I just bought for $16 in Big W (and was same price in Target) is $28 on book depository.

And if you only want a read and return - the library is free
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You do have to check prices though.

Book I just bought for $16 in Big W (and was same price in Target) is $28 on book depository.

And if you only want a read and return - the library is free
That's a big price difference, thanks Sparkles I usually buy books for pressies, so can't use the library for that Books for myself and scouse are usually from a charity shop, we read a lot, probably 3 books per week each.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 12:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Good website to compare the price of books:
www.booko.com.au
Old Dec 1st 2019, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Good website to compare the price of books:
www.booko.com.au
Great tip, thanks Zulu
Old Dec 5th 2019, 4:09 pm
Concierge

a ps. I just realised that I buy all my books from Booktopia, not Book Depository. Just in case anyone found out and thought I was a fibber