Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

US and Australia

US and Australia

Old May 31st 2012, 6:22 am
Just Joined

samhope6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US and Australia

I currently live in the US. My husband is a coal miner and has had an opportunity come up where he can go to Australia and work in a coal mine. We are trying to do some research to see if this would be a good opportunity or not. We are a family of 6. Our kids are 13, 11, 7 and 5.

The two areas that were mentioned were Hunter Valley and Mudgee. The wage would be between $100,000 and $130,000. Would a family of 6 live comfortably in those areas or would it be a struggle to make ends meet?

Also, how would Australian kids interact with our kids in school?
Old May 31st 2012, 6:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US and Australia

Originally Posted by samhope6
I currently live in the US. My husband is a coal miner and has had an opportunity come up where he can go to Australia and work in a coal mine. We are trying to do some research to see if this would be a good opportunity or not. We are a family of 6. Our kids are 13, 11, 7 and 5.

The two areas that were mentioned were Hunter Valley and Mudgee. The wage would be between $100,000 and $130,000. Would a family of 6 live comfortably in those areas or would it be a struggle to make ends meet?

I know nothing of that area, but just wanted to say that I work with a lot of Americans and they all seem to integrate easily. From what most of them tell me, they and their families have settled in well, but that they do find it expensive here. The guys I work with are very friendly and easy going, if a bit too intense when it comes to work.

Good luck.
Old May 31st 2012, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

If the visa is a 457 (temporary) then you will have to pay school fee's in NSW. They currently range from $4500-$5500 per child per year. Thats going to make a large hole in 130k a year. You would struggle on 130K with a family of 6 with 4 school age children, definitely if you are on a temporary visa.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
If the visa is a 457 (temporary) then you will have to pay school fee's in NSW. They currently range from $4500-$5500 per child per year. Thats going to make a large hole in 130k a year. You would struggle on 130K with a family of 6 with 4 school age children, definitely if you are on a temporary visa.
On top of that you would have to have medical insurance here just like you do at home. There is no Medicare available to Americans on the 457.

OP, I'm thinking you're from either Wyoming or West Virginia/Pennsylvania? You're going to find Australia pretty expensive and very different to your neck of the woods if I'm right.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:42 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
On top of that you would have to have medical insurance here just like you do at home. There is no Medicare available to Americans on the 457.

OP, I'm thinking you're from either Wyoming or West Virginia/Pennsylvania? You're going to find Australia pretty expensive and very different to your neck of the woods if I'm right.
I haven't noticed that coal mining towns are nice anywhere. Are they different there?
Old May 31st 2012, 8:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I haven't noticed that coal mining towns are nice anywhere. Are they different there?
Not any nicer than over there. Not from what I've seen anyway.

Although...We used to stop in Bluefield on the West Virginia/Virginia border when we would drive to Florida and it wasn't too bad.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:01 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not any nicer than over there. Not from what I've seen anyway.

Although...We used to stop in Bluefield on the West Virginia/Virginia border when we would drive to Florida and it wasn't too bad.
Yeah, I saw some nice logging towns too, Pretty nice except for the absence of trees.
Old May 31st 2012, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

With your kids all that age, they will all fit in just fine. I don't know those areas in particular, but from our experience our kids have been very well accepted where we are.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
With your kids all that age, they will all fit in just fine. I don't know those areas in particular, but from our experience our kids have been very well accepted where we are.
Where are they at school? Iv been eyeing up schools in Aspley and Albany creek as they seem decent and the housing is affordable..
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:06 am
Just Joined

samhope6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't heard or seen anything about having to pay that for the public schools in Australia. I will have to research that a bit more.

Also, the company is paying our medical.

We are in Utah and it is actually a pretty area where we are located.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

I haven't heard or seen anything about having to pay that for the public schools in Australia. I will have to research that a bit more.

We are in Utah and it is actually a pretty area where we are located.
Here's the link to NSW education department which will help:

http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu...._residents.htm .
Fee's and payments pdf is near the bottom.

Note these fee's are ONLY applicable if you are coming on a temporary visa (457) AND if you are living in NSW or ACT.
AND you may be able to get an exemption if you can demonstrate financial difficulties. But you should factor the cost into your decision before coming over.
Or get employer to pay for them.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Where are they at school? Iv been eyeing up schools in Aspley and Albany creek as they seem decent and the housing is affordable..
Daughter is at Indooroopilly. Son is now a UQ. Aspley and Albany areas look fine too me and I wouldn't have minded living around there either. Haven't researched the areas though.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:45 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Are they just paying for the medicals you have to do for immigration or are they paying for your medical insurance that you need to access the health care system in Australia?

Also, given the choice between Singleton and Mudgee I'd choose Singleton any day. Singleton is only an hour from Newcastle and the ocean and just under 3 hours to Sydney. Mudgee on the other hand is about 3.5 hours to Sydney or 4 hours to Newcastle, so either way a day trip to the beach would be impossible. You'd be far more remote there.

Singleton is also a bit bigger of a town with Maitland nearby that's even bigger if you want more shopping.

There are also a few wineries around the Singleton/Hunter Valley area.

The big concern for you would be the school fees if you're only coming on a temporary visa (like a 457) so find out what sort of visa you'd be coming on. If it's permanent then you'd have access to free schooling and also the health care system not to mention being able to stay permanently if you want.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Americans fit in well in Australia and are welcomed usually, having such a similar way of life. Most seem to find it expensive as US consumables are so cheap, but once US property taxes and healthcare are considered Australia, in my view, is a cheaper place to live.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

Join expats in the hunter - a group on Facebook. You will get loads of info on there about the hunter valley.
Les

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.