Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent - -HSBC Bu**ered us up!!!!

Wikiposts

Urgent - -HSBC Bu**ered us up!!!!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent - -HSBC Bu**ered us up!!!!

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Commonwealth Bank of Australia will do it in 10 days, well did for us.

To be honest I read many people say how terrible they are, but in MY opinion I really can't complain!

I'll post the link for their UK migration account if I can find it.

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/movi...ng_an_account/
Local ConBank branches knew zero about the migrant transfer arangements and we had to deal with the main Sydney branch.. ConBank also screwed our mortgage up... twice..
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Local ConBank branches knew zero about the migrant transfer arangements and we had to deal with the main Sydney branch.. ConBank also screwed our mortgage up... twice..
Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
To be honest I read many people say how terrible they are, but in MY opinion I really can't complain!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Don't they still send things to you? I just thought it would be safer to give an aus address so they don't miss all the paperwork arriving after they have left.

Lynn
I get all my paperwork to my UK address. I've even had my monthly statement. We're redirecting our post to my dad here in the UK until we have an Aus address.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone give me a bit of advice about this whole money process?

Before we arrive in Oz we're going travelling through the U.S, Canada, NZ & Oz - so we're going to need a credit card! We've decided on the Nationwide one because they don't charge you for using abroad, we're also going to open one of their bank accounts with cash for the trip and for when we arrive in Oz. This way we won't get charged for using their atm's when we arrive. Do you think this sounds like a plan?

Also, we were thinking of keeping the remaining house funds in my HSBC account until we're ready to transfer to oz in 6 months or so. Is this a bad idea, will i need to arrange this before i go?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Mish x x x
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mish & al

Before we arrive in Oz we're going travelling through the U.S, Canada, NZ & Oz - so we're going to need a credit card! We've decided on the Nationwide one because they don't charge you for using abroad, we're also going to open one of their bank accounts with cash for the trip and for when we arrive in Oz. This way we won't get charged for using their atm's when we arrive. Do you think this sounds like a plan?

Also, we were thinking of keeping the remaining house funds in my HSBC account until we're ready to transfer to oz in 6 months or so. Is this a bad idea, will i need to arrange this before i go?

Mish x x x
The Nationwide account is a fab one. Hubby and I have both opened up accounts and visa cards with them. The online facility is brilliant - no paperwork needed
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

We were going to open up a HSBC account in Oz from the Uk for my cous to transfer our bond money to online from her oz account. until we found out it would take 6 weeks and we would have to front A$2000 despite the fact that we had A$5000 coming from her as soon as we opened the account.

Is that the case for opening all oz accounts - do you need A$2k to open the account?

Andy
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
We were going to open up a HSBC account in Oz from the Uk for my cous to transfer our bond money to online from her oz account. until we found out it would take 6 weeks and we would have to front A$2000 despite the fact that we had A$5000 coming from her as soon as we opened the account.

Is that the case for opening all oz accounts - do you need A$2k to open the account?

Andy

I opened one with ANZ by mail, it took them a week to get my account details to me (they also do it by telephone). Didn't put any money into it until we arrived in the country
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:09 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi, we fly in ten days and I've just found out theat the HSBC have not opened us an account in Adelaide.

Now have no way of transfering our money without losing loads of $s.

I have heard you can open an account on-line.....who with though? I can't remember.

Cheers in advance.

xRachx
Personally I'd leave it in a UK bank that allows you to transfer abroad like either RBS or Natwest. Wait till you get here then get your medicare card and open a bank account in a branch for example the NAB, account is open an active while you are still in the bank. Write a letter to your UK bank giving the date of the transfer you want done, the amount. The destination bank address, your account number and BSB number (sort code). Oh and a telephone number so they can call you to confirm the transfer. You will need to sign that you agree to the fee etc so find out from your UK bank how much it will be and pre warn them of what you want to do.

We did all this twice for 2 transfers from RBS to NAB and also a forward transfer using HIFX. Although using HIFX was good it was a lot more hastle with a poorer exchange rate than I got from RBS.

Good luck.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:11 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spalen
You can put the money in TRANZFERS as a forward order - so load it into your trransfer account as multiple small bundles or one big bundle.

Then when you get here - walk into a bank and open account -takes 5 minutes instantly...

Then log onto the website for tranzfers - edit the target abnk account details, hit trade , and hey presto the money is in the Aussie acount 24hrs later.

By splitting it into smaller bundles you can trade small chunks at a time, or one big hit if you put one big transfer.

Ask the guys at Tranzfers - but please do register with my id for brownie points for me for allt his typing at 1154 here in Aus...
http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins

or if you dont want to register with my referral id
www.tranzfers.com

They are ROCK solid and v.safe, and offer good rates. LOTS and LOTS of people on here use them - do a search for tranzfers .

..... bloody hell..... you're not still whoring for more iPods

Jim
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cadman

Andy
I didn't have to put any money into the westpac account immediately but did within a certain timescale but there wasn't a minimum
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:14 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mish & al

Mish x x x
with the dollar at almost 2.5 per pound and aus interest rates at 6.5% i would suggest exchanging immediately and transferring it to a high interest account in aus

only my opinion though i sure others will have their own ideas

regards Steve

PS how did you get on with the shippers and have you decided which one ??
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve`o
with the dollar at almost 2.5 per pound and aus interest rates at 6.5% i would suggest exchanging immediately and transferring it to a high interest account in aus

only my opinion though i sure others will have their own ideas

regards Steve

PS how did you get on with the shippers and have you decided which one ??
I'm trying to do that but my bank haven't cleared my dosh !
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:40 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
I'm trying to do that but my bank haven't cleared my dosh !
did you send your brass by bacs???