Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent help requested on First Home Buyer Grant

Urgent help requested on First Home Buyer Grant

Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent help requested on First Home Buyer Grant

Help! Just about to put pen to paper on a mortgage but it is conditional on First Home Buyer Grant.

I have previously owned a property in the UK but my wife hasn't owned anything anywhere.

We are still eligible for the grant - right?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of
Default Re: Urgent help requested on First Home Buyer Grant

Originally Posted by windsordave
Help! Just about to put pen to paper on a mortgage but it is conditional on First Home Buyer Grant.

I have previously owned a property in the UK but my wife hasn't owned anything anywhere.

Thanks!
You are eligible for the grant if you have never owned a property in AUSTRALIA.

Owning a property in the UK or anywhere else does not matter.

Hope that helps,
Mark.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

yep, we were home owners in the UK but have only just bought our first Australian home and we were given it.
S xx
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Streaks
yep, we were home owners in the UK but have only just bought our first Australian home and we were given it.
S xx
And also just to add that one of you has to be either an Australia citizen or permanent resident.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all! What did people do before the internet and the BE forum????

Moving to the Redlands in less then a month!

Hoorah!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all! What did people do before the internet and the BE forum????

Moving to the Redlands in less then a month!

Hoorah!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be also resident in Australia to qualify?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be also resident in Australia to qualify?
That is correct... I assume he is moving from a rental in Australia.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As I said above, you have to be an Australian Citizen or have PR to qualify.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Thanks!
You can also get another $2000.00 if your house was under $400.000 as well..you dont get it in your hand but knocked off your mortgage..

Steve
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
As I said above, you have to be an Australian Citizen or have PR to qualify.
I know but there are lots of people who have simply validated but don't actually live here. We're in the process of applying for mortgages, first homeowner grant, etc and had to show not only our PR visa but proof of residency.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Thanks!

Yes you are eligible for the First Home Buyers Grant however because you have owned a home before (anywhere in the world, not just Australia) you will have to pay stamp duty.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:22 am
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulhill
Yes you are eligible for the First Home Buyers Grant however because you have owned a home before (anywhere in the world, not just Australia) you will have to pay stamp duty.

are you sure about that?, oh well, i've never owned a home anywhere in the world then if thats the case
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:30 am
Still alive

No you don't. We've owned property in Canada and won't have to pay stamp duty.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

jan&co will become famous soon enough

This is new to me. I'd thought stamp duty exemption is based on
the price of the property. In Queensland, property below $250,000
is exempt from stamp duty.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will try to clear up the confusion...

The first home owners grant is a federal grant so is applicable nation wide. You are eligible if you have not owned a home in Australia only.

Stamp duty however is dictated at state level.

In QLD, for example, in order to qualify for the first home owners rate, the criteria extends to owning a property anywhere in the world.

However in WA, the criteria falls in line with the first home owners grant...i.e. in Australia only.

Each state is different in this regard.

Hope that helps,
Mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.