Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

URGENT HELP NEEDED MOVING TO OZ!

URGENT HELP NEEDED MOVING TO OZ!

Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz n Paul will become famous soon enough
Exclamation URGENT HELP NEEDED MOVING TO OZ!

Hi everyone,

Big dilemna. We've just got our passports back with VISA Card in place (woohoo)! Have booked flights to Brisbane (heading for Sunshine Coast) for 26th November and have gone to book campervan, insurance, hotel etc etc and no-one will accept us as we don't have a Credit Card!

We got rid of our Credit cards in the UK last year as we never used them anyway and cannot apply for a credit card with westpac (the bank we have just set up with) until we have jobs, residence etc.

So really stuck! Have found a few really good campervan deals in Brisbane but all of the companies require a credit card imprint before you go (even though we were willing to pay extra for nil excess)?

Any ideas as soon as possible extremeley grateful!!!!

Thanks

Shaz
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED MOVING TO OZ!

My brother just used his debit card to book and had no problems, have you got rid of those as well?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TMRE
My brother just used his debit card to book and had no problems, have you got rid of those as well?
Hi do you know who this was with? we still have our debit cards but the campervan companies say they need a Credit Card imprint.
Thanks,
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:52 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaz n Paul
Hi do you know who this was with? we still have our debit cards but the campervan companies say they need a Credit Card imprint.
Thanks,
When abroad, a debit card can usually only be processed as a credit card, just give them the number and details, they can't tell...can they
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:56 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

you can now 'buy' instant payment credit cards whereby you pre-pay the card so it's not credit as such but it works the same as a credit card in that it has a visa or mastercard symbol on and so can be used online etc. I'm not sure but I *think* it's done by MBNA. I imagine if you google it youll find some more info.

good luck!

T
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Can you direct bank transfer a deposit from either your UK bank or Westpac ?

They use the credit card as security if you run off with their van.
If you could pay a deposit now and the balance in cash when you pick up the van they may accept that.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RedT
you can now 'buy' instant payment credit cards whereby you pre-pay the card so it's not credit as such but it works the same as a credit card in that it has a visa or mastercard symbol on and so can be used online etc. I'm not sure but I *think* it's done by MBNA. I imagine if you google it youll find some more info.

good luck!

T
Just trying to get hold of my brother to ask now although he is in OZ so no doubt asleep.

Good site about prepaid cards
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/card...eature=Prepaid
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shaz n Paul
Hi everyone,

Big dilemna. We've just got our passports back with VISA Card in place (woohoo)! Have booked flights to Brisbane (heading for Sunshine Coast) for 26th November and have gone to book campervan, insurance, hotel etc etc and no-one will accept us as we don't have a Credit Card!

We got rid of our Credit cards in the UK last year as we never used them anyway and cannot apply for a credit card with westpac (the bank we have just set up with) until we have jobs, residence etc.

So really stuck! Have found a few really good campervan deals in Brisbane but all of the companies require a credit card imprint before you go (even though we were willing to pay extra for nil excess)?

Any ideas as soon as possible extremeley grateful!!!!

Thanks

Shaz
I bank with Westpac and I have a debit card which is used from my normal account...not a creditcard.. as no funds no transaction.
But, I use it as a credit card buyin on line, bookin tkts, etc
Its a mastercard..contact Westpac and get it sent...no checks etc dead simple..
Good luck with your move...what a fab life awaits you xx
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

we got our wallet stolen at manchester airport on our way to aus and when we arrived in oz they wouldnt let us have the hire car we had ordered even though we had cash and my debit card, we had to get the mil back in england to go and fax a copy of her credit card at the hire co in england to the one in aus, they said they only take credit cards because if anything happens they can take the full value straight away off a credit card, but my argument with that is how do you know what credit limit is on a persons card???
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Neither me nor my partner used credit cards when booking hotels, car hire flights or anything infact, we always used debit cards and they where happy with that.

I thought that as long as it had the visa sign on it may aswell be a credit card, just give them your debit card details you should be fine.

They did say to us that they needed the credit card details just in case we ran off type thing. However when we turned up I handed them my debit card and all was ok.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:05 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnorris
Neither me nor my partner used credit cards when booking hotels, car hire flights or anything infact, we always used debit cards and they where happy with that.

I thought that as long as it had the visa sign on it may aswell be a credit card, just give them your debit card details you should be fine.

They did say to us that they needed the credit card details just in case we ran off type thing. However when we turned up I handed them my debit card and all was ok.
Some bank debit cards are only maestro or switch though which I know from experience are no good for bookings. I have had to keep transferring funds into my visa to pay for things.

Also I don't think you can get a Westpac card until you arrive and report in person at a branch

Have you any friends with a cc who can do on your behalf if you give them the cash up front plus any interest they may be charged?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Can't believe this is sooo much hassle, It's funny how after 2 years waiting for our VISA we seemed to believe everything would become much easier ha ha!

Thanks for all your ideas, making an app with HSBC tomorrow to see what they can do and gonna try the post office pre-paid credit card.

I'm sure a debit card will be fine after all but don't want to risk it, unfortunatley nothing ever runs smoothly does it!

Thanks again

Shaz
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

When we hired a motorhome, we had to give our credit card number, but nothing was deducted off it. It is backup incase you steal the van etc? We actually booked it online, but paid in travellers cheques when we picked it up from Mackay, Australia. We could have paid switch, cash or travellers cheques. So we opted for the cheques. Our credit card had no debits on because it was returned back in one piece. Dont know if this helps, but we certainly didnt pay for it up front on the credit card. Maybe someone could book it for you on theirs, knowing no money will be taken out. We also took out extra insurance to waiver any breakdown fees, accident fees etc. It was a bit pricey but piece of mind.

Another piece of advice if it helps, make sure your bank company knows you are going to Australia. Earlier this year, I tried to pay for a hotel in Sydney on my card and it was rejected. I knew there was plenty money in and when I got back home the company said they were not informed I was going aboard and so put a stop on the payment. My husband had, in conversation told the bank, so they had a note of when and where we were going to so his card went through. Thank goodness. A bit embarrassing to say the least!

Last edited by kurrikurri; Nov 12th 2007 at 5:41 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

We also had problems when we arrived in brisbane for our recci, had had our credit card and our debit cards stolen in bangkok.

The hire car co would not let us pick up our car that was booked 3 months previous with the credit card. they need to swipe it for insurance purposes. we couldnt use just the no as it had been stopped .
After phone calls to there head office we eventually paid $1400 cash which included a hefty insurance but when we handed the car back we got the insurance amount back , 1hr later we were on our way to brisbane but a lot lighter . thank god fro internet banking and being able to transfer money at short notice.

good luck with your move..

were hoping to book flights for jan 15th.

see you no the other side

Sharon xx
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:08 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The reason your going to have problems without a credit card with a reasonable limit on it is that a hire company will pre authorise a certain amount of your card limit as a bond.

This money is not physically debited from the card but is "held" and not available for use from the card issuer and also ensures that you actually have that amount too.

So - debit cards wont work this way and a prepaid credit card will also have issues since you would have to ensure that you got one with a prepaid amount of the bond which is likely to be quite high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.