Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

URGENT! FINANCE OF A TEMPORARY VISA

URGENT! FINANCE OF A TEMPORARY VISA

Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Yeknom is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation URGENT! FINANCE OF A TEMPORARY VISA

Hi, my husband is on a temporary spouse visa, we are currently going through the paperwork for the permanent visa, just waiting for a few checks and declarations back. However, even once we send in the paperwork I was told it'll be 6-8 months before they make a decision.

We need a car loan, personal loan, credit overdraft etc to the amount of $14,000 soon for an 11 year old car, and cannot wait 6-8 months. Does anyone know if this is possible on a temporary visa? I have spoken to a few bank etc, and thy told me we'll have to wait until the permanent residency comes thorugh
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT! FINANCE OF A TEMPORARY VISA

You will probably find that banks have no comprehension of where a conditional permanent visa fits into the system.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

billybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Banks will lend you,we were offered a mortgage on a 457 .and car finance you will also get.However they insist that the loan is repaid before your temp visa is over which makes sense really.
i was asked for a deposit of approx $2000 for the car i bought then the rest of the payments are being taken over 3 yrs 8 months

hope this helps you
billy
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:26 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will probably find that banks have no comprehension of where a conditional permanent visa fits into the system.
Yup, we had all sorts of problems with our 164 but got around most things with Westpac... They have a migrant banking division who can approve all sorts of things over the heads of the local boys... We managed a car loan with no deposit, credit card, etc
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: URGENT! FINANCE OF A TEMPORARY VISA

Hi, thanks for all of your replies so far. Your right JAJ, they have no idea! Considering Im an Australian Resident, obviously not going anywhere, my husbands visa is just basically a followup. Yet I know people on strict temporary visa who can get home loans, and a couple who have never worked a day in there life (both on dole benefits) who were approved for a 10,000 dollar credit card, home loan and car loan all in one go from the same bank. Its ridiculous!

Billybaba- Yes, I had that from one lender also, but since it a technical way his visas already up (cause its been two years on the temporary), we can't do it that way.

DrWho- Thanks for you info. I have looked on westpacs site and sent an email off to the migrant banking section.

Hopefully I'll here something from the previous places I requested. Its all a waiting game, which is terrible as i'm quite impatient
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: URGENT! FINANCE OF A TEMPORARY VISA

No luck such yet. Westpac banking was a dud, as was Donation Home Loans. Am still waiting to hear from GE Money.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have PR, can you not do it all in your name? Or have I missed the plot?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:46 am
Just Joined

I can't as my husband is the one thats working, I look after the children.