Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent CV help needed.

Urgent CV help needed.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

MattW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent CV help needed.

Don't know how this happened.Just started the visa process for New zealand.Planning to move later in the year(After July).Sent my CV to an agent in Wellington to ask about the general job market and would my CV meet the current requirements.Followed this up with a phone call as you do.Had a general chat about things and he wants to put me forward for a job that would be perfect....I'm thinking this is too soon can't do it.......then he says the client will assist with a work permit for the right candidate......then I'm thinking don't look a gift horse in the mouth....then he mentions my CV is all very good but it need to be at least 4 pages.I've tried padding it out but it looks like a bloody essay.Can anybody please give me an example of what is expected by a New Zealand Agent and client.I need to get this to him by tomorrow lunch(9 am in Wellington)

Any help would be great.

Wifes not too chuffed........
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:04 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Urgent CV help needed.

Originally posted by MattW
Don't know how this happened.Just started the visa process for New zealand.Planning to move later in the year(After July).Sent my CV to an agent in Wellington to ask about the general job market and would my CV meet the current requirements.Followed this up with a phone call as you do.Had a general chat about things and he wants to put me forward for a job that would be perfect....I'm thinking this is too soon can't do it.......then he says the client will assist with a work permit for the right candidate......then I'm thinking don't look a gift horse in the mouth....then he mentions my CV is all very good but it need to be at least 4 pages.I've tried padding it out but it looks like a bloody essay.Can anybody please give me an example of what is expected by a New Zealand Agent and client.I need to get this to him by tomorrow lunch(9 am in Wellington)

Any help would be great.

Wifes not too chuffed........
I wouldnt know, but have you tried doing a search on a new zealand search engine or job recruitment website; they often have tips on how to write CV's and covering letters and if you get it off a NZ website it should be tailored for their needs??
Just an idea whilst they NZ'ers are still sleeping
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:49 am
ABCDiamond

Someone recently mentioned seek.com , and their resume builder.

OZ resumes need to be big aswell !!

Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

So how many pages in expected ??

Two in the UK to cover school, uni and 5-10 yrs work experience. How many pages would Oz expect ???
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by sjn2003
So how many pages in expected ??

Two in the UK to cover school, uni and 5-10 yrs work experience. How many pages would Oz expect ???
One quote I read was "The one tip I was given, and by more than one person, is that employers here like a long CV with lots of detail. No keeping it down to two pages max. Mine was six pages and the agencies all said it was good."

This came from http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=209127

I've seen the same comments a few times now.

So;... larger fonts, larger line spacing ?

Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:34 am
Just Joined

mash is an unknown quantity at this point

Came across this company (Aussie, I think) that offers Flash Resumes at http://www.dex50.50megs.com/freebies.htm
One of the ads way down in the list that says Dont Be An Average Joe.

Havent tried it out though, so I cant really recommend it.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:41 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

And wait till you get the interview mine was 1 and a half hours long for my 1st and 45 mins for the 2nd and they dont just chat about your work they go through all the usual stuff and then get onto what you had for tea last night !!!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

My hubbie has just re-jigged his CV to send to an agency in Oz, his was 5 pages anyway but we also learnt that they want your work experience in reverse chronological order - ie latest job first.

Can you not "nick" bits from your TRA application - ie description of duties etc - it is just basically padding out the one that you have - it may look like an essay - maybe that is what they want!!

Good luck - sounds great - like you say - don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!

Go For it!!!

pockygoes