Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

urgent advice needed re dependants

urgent advice needed re dependants

Old Jan 24th 2005, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default urgent advice needed re dependants

i received my yellow letter today asking for meds and police clearance so yippee. however i'm completely deflated, not just because i've checked the cost of meds (i told my husband he should never have had that tattoo) but because dimia have asked for more proof that my 19 and 21 year old daughters are dependant. does'nt dimia know that teenagers remain dependant until they're at least 35? the thing is that things have changed slightly since i made the app and i don't think i can prove willow is still dependant. the other daughter can provide bank statements showing she's a student in debt and living at home. do they really think i can leave wils here? i know they do actually.

anyone have any esperience of taking over 18's? and willow's got a stupid tattoo too, barely even noticeable, so am i going to pay an extra £100 for the meds only to be told she can't go? i don't know what to do. think i might phone the case officer tonight.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: urgent advice needed re dependants

sorry can't help but interested to know what happens as i have a 20 year old who still lives at home but not sure how to prove he is still dependant. Good luck Chris
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

i think they have to be not working for some reason; full time education or disability etc. loz is in education and willow was but is now at work, has been since september. i knew this could happen but it has brought things home. let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:18 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
i received my yellow letter today asking for meds and police clearance so yippee. however i'm completely deflated, not just because i've checked the cost of meds (i told my husband he should never have had that tattoo) but because dimia have asked for more proof that my 19 and 21 year old daughters are dependant. does'nt dimia know that teenagers remain dependant until they're at least 35? the thing is that things have changed slightly since i made the app and i don't think i can prove willow is still dependant. the other daughter can provide bank statements showing she's a student in debt and living at home. do they really think i can leave wils here? i know they do actually.

anyone have any esperience of taking over 18's? and willow's got a stupid tattoo too, barely even noticeable, so am i going to pay an extra £100 for the meds only to be told she can't go? i don't know what to do. think i might phone the case officer tonight.
Hi there

Sorry cant help with the dependants questions but I was wondering what problems the tattoo's have caused ? I didnt think they were a problem if the bloods come back all clear.

Thanks Sel x
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sel
Hi there

Sorry cant help with the dependants questions but I was wondering what problems the tattoo's have caused ? I didnt think they were a problem if the bloods come back all clear.

Thanks Sel x
no, don't worry, not a problem. just that the doc i spoke to said costs; 80 for meds, 30 for bloods, 70 for x-ray. then, wait for it, if you have a tattoo and extra 100 for extra bloods. i have to say the word blood did come into my resonse. anyone else find this or am i about to be ripped off yet again?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

no, don't worry, not a problem. just that the doc i spoke to said costs; 80 for meds, 30 for bloods, 70 for x-ray. then, wait for it, if you have a tattoo and extra 100 for extra bloods. i have to say the word blood did come into my resonse. anyone else find this or am i about to be ripped off yet again?
I have 1 Tattoo and my Husband has 10 or 11 and it did not cost us any extra

Tabby
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: urgent advice needed re dependants

Originally Posted by tabby

Tabby
hmmm, just as i suspected watson. do you mind telling me how much your meds were?

anyone else help?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

hmmm, just as i suspected watson. do you mind telling me how much your meds were?

anyone else help?
I can't remeaber, but was around £120 mark

We had them done in Southampton by an Aussie doctor who was very good, although we were above the BMI for age etc....... He mark us with top grade

Tabby
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:50 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Why am I surprised shud of known money would have been the issue - any excuse to part us from our cash.

Good luck

Sel x
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

What annoyed me about the blood tests is that my 15 year old daughter had to have a HIV test done . The 13 year old didn't have to thankfully. I think that is a bit much. The GP also checked my 9 year olds forearms for needle marks. I was quite shocked but he said it's not uncommon and he had had 2 boys of a similar age to my son in that week who were using intravenously :scared:
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You may have a really serious problem here.

Your younger daughter is probably ok as a student living at home (assuming she's not in any kind of relationship) but there is a risk your older daughter is going to be refused as visa on the basis of being no longer dependent.

Dependency is assessed as at time of visa decision - not application.

You need to hire an experienced migration agent (choose well - you need a good one) to try to sort things out. It may well be that a visa cannot be salvaged for your older daughter and you may need to work out with that agent a visa strategy to get her PR another way using some combination of:

- working holiday visa;
- student visa;
- skilled sponsored migration (maybe easier if you move to a designated area in Australia)
- remaining relative visa

Don't try to do this on your own if serious about finding the best solution.

This particular problem seems to be happening to a lot of people.

Jeremy
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:34 am
Account Closed

holsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tabby

Tabby
Same hear, I have a few tatts and no extra cost or extra bloods for the medical. Seems that people have a mixed experience on this subject....

I.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:02 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

We had medicals early 2003 before we migrated over here. I have tattoos and had to have an extra blood test for Hepatitis C think I paid an extra 40 pounds.

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Re the blood test issue - the "standard" test is for HIV; anyone with tattoos or piercings is supposed to also be tested for Hep C - hence the extra cost, as it is an extra test.