British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   urgent advice needed re dependants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/urgent-advice-needed-re-dependants-279663/)

dawn kirbyshire Jan 24th 2005 4:48 pm

urgent advice needed re dependants

i received my yellow letter today asking for meds and police clearance so yippee. however i'm completely deflated, not just because i've checked the cost of meds (i told my husband he should never have had that tattoo) but because dimia have asked for more proof that my 19 and 21 year old daughters are dependant. does'nt dimia know that teenagers remain dependant until they're at least 35? the thing is that things have changed slightly since i made the app and i don't think i can prove willow is still dependant. the other daughter can provide bank statements showing she's a student in debt and living at home. do they really think i can leave wils here? i know they do actually.

anyone have any esperience of taking over 18's? and willow's got a stupid tattoo too, barely even noticeable, so am i going to pay an extra £100 for the meds only to be told she can't go? i don't know what to do. think i might phone the case officer tonight.

Chris Mitchell Jan 24th 2005 5:02 pm

Re: urgent advice needed re dependants

sorry can't help but interested to know what happens as i have a 20 year old who still lives at home but not sure how to prove he is still dependant. Good luck Chris

dawn kirbyshire Jan 24th 2005 5:11 pm

i think they have to be not working for some reason; full time education or disability etc. loz is in education and willow was but is now at work, has been since september. i knew this could happen but it has brought things home. let you know how it goes.

sel Jan 24th 2005 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
i received my yellow letter today asking for meds and police clearance so yippee. however i'm completely deflated, not just because i've checked the cost of meds (i told my husband he should never have had that tattoo) but because dimia have asked for more proof that my 19 and 21 year old daughters are dependant. does'nt dimia know that teenagers remain dependant until they're at least 35? the thing is that things have changed slightly since i made the app and i don't think i can prove willow is still dependant. the other daughter can provide bank statements showing she's a student in debt and living at home. do they really think i can leave wils here? i know they do actually.

anyone have any esperience of taking over 18's? and willow's got a stupid tattoo too, barely even noticeable, so am i going to pay an extra £100 for the meds only to be told she can't go? i don't know what to do. think i might phone the case officer tonight.

Hi there

Sorry cant help with the dependants questions but I was wondering what problems the tattoo's have caused ? :confused: I didnt think they were a problem if the bloods come back all clear.

Thanks Sel x

dawn kirbyshire Jan 24th 2005 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sel
Hi there

Sorry cant help with the dependants questions but I was wondering what problems the tattoo's have caused ? :confused: I didnt think they were a problem if the bloods come back all clear.

Thanks Sel x

no, don't worry, not a problem. just that the doc i spoke to said costs; 80 for meds, 30 for bloods, 70 for x-ray. then, wait for it, if you have a tattoo and extra 100 for extra bloods. i have to say the word blood did come into my resonse. anyone else find this or am i about to be ripped off yet again?

tabby Jan 24th 2005 5:32 pm

no, don't worry, not a problem. just that the doc i spoke to said costs; 80 for meds, 30 for bloods, 70 for x-ray. then, wait for it, if you have a tattoo and extra 100 for extra bloods. i have to say the word blood did come into my resonse. anyone else find this or am i about to be ripped off yet again?

I have 1 Tattoo and my Husband has 10 or 11 and it did not cost us any extra

Tabby :)

dawn kirbyshire Jan 24th 2005 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by tabby

hmmm, just as i suspected watson. do you mind telling me how much your meds were?

anyone else help?

tabby Jan 24th 2005 5:43 pm

hmmm, just as i suspected watson. do you mind telling me how much your meds were?

anyone else help?

I can't remeaber, but was around £120 mark

We had them done in Southampton by an Aussie doctor who was very good, although we were above the BMI for age etc....... He mark us with top grade

sel Jan 24th 2005 5:50 pm

Why am I surprised :rolleyes: shud of known money would have been the issue - any excuse to part us from our cash.

Good luck

Sel x

tracey.d Jan 24th 2005 7:30 pm

What annoyed me about the blood tests is that my 15 year old daughter had to have a HIV test done :mad: . The 13 year old didn't have to thankfully. I think that is a bit much. The GP also checked my 9 year olds forearms for needle marks. I was quite shocked but he said it's not uncommon and he had had 2 boys of a similar age to my son in that week who were using intravenously :scared:

JAJ Jan 26th 2005 11:15 am

You may have a really serious problem here.

Your younger daughter is probably ok as a student living at home (assuming she's not in any kind of relationship) but there is a risk your older daughter is going to be refused as visa on the basis of being no longer dependent.

Dependency is assessed as at time of visa decision - not application.

You need to hire an experienced migration agent (choose well - you need a good one) to try to sort things out. It may well be that a visa cannot be salvaged for your older daughter and you may need to work out with that agent a visa strategy to get her PR another way using some combination of:

- working holiday visa;
- student visa;
- skilled sponsored migration (maybe easier if you move to a designated area in Australia)
- remaining relative visa

Don't try to do this on your own if serious about finding the best solution.

This particular problem seems to be happening to a lot of people.

Jeremy

holsdad Jan 26th 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tabby

Same hear, I have a few tatts and no extra cost or extra bloods for the medical. Seems that people have a mixed experience on this subject....

I.

sharon_gareth Jan 26th 2005 12:02 pm

We had medicals early 2003 before we migrated over here. I have tattoos and had to have an extra blood test for Hepatitis C think I paid an extra 40 pounds.

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com

Pollyana Jan 26th 2005 12:35 pm

Re the blood test issue - the "standard" test is for HIV; anyone with tattoos or piercings is supposed to also be tested for Hep C - hence the extra cost, as it is an extra test.