Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The urge to return home is growing stronger

The urge to return home is growing stronger

Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Whilst I agree with you in principle Polly that lists of for and against's are good, but for me it came down to FEELINGS, how where my FEELINGS being in the UK vs my FEELINGS about living in Australia............no contest......
And when I'm having a heart-rules-my-head day I'm with you all the way, but then reality bites and I remember that I do have to live on something and there ain't a lot of call in the UK for people only skilled in managing natural disasters in Queensland God I hate my logical days

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I'm with Polly (figuratively speaking),

If it were just me - I'd do it, be back in England and enjoying all those things that I think I miss and no doubt being frustrated and missing things that I currently take for granted.

But its NOT just me is it - it never is. Can I seriously introduce that level of uncertainty to my kids lives when they are settled and involved members of a community, they have good schools, lots of friends, the best piano teacher I've ever come across...

Can I uproot an 11 yr old dog who's only ever lived in 1 house in subtropical Brisbane and make her live in a compeltely different world?

Can I rip my wife away from her family (much as they frustrate and annoy her - I'm sure 12,000kms would take their toll and HER family would never visit)...

Logistics.... Its all too hard - so I'll no doubt continue living life in Brisbane, wondering if it would be better in UK but not doing anything about it. Holidays in UK are always good and probably all the better for not having to live there!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:41 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by Weebie
The UK............ has some superior opportunities that Australia will never have such as culture, international feel, europe on your doorstep, career opporunities etc
....some parts of Australia. Melbourne has all the above except Europe on the doorstep. I would suggest that career opportunities in Melbourne and Sydney in corporate roles are greater than those in London right now.

BB
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
....some parts of Australia. Melbourne has all the above except Europe on the doorstep. I would suggest that career opportunities in Melbourne and Sydney in corporate roles are greater than those in London right now.

BB
Agree - moved from UK to Oz recently for the greater career opportunities. Unless anything has changed in the past 6 months 2007 - 2010 were dead in the UK.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

BB
Agreed. My career opportunities in engineering are much better in Perth than in the UK, have been for a few years now and I don't see this changing any time soon
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that career opportunities in Melbourne and Sydney in corporate roles are greater than those in London right now.

BB
Not a hope in hell. London is virtually untouched by the state of the economy and it's only outside of London that the effects become noticeable.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Not a hope in hell. London is virtually untouched by the state of the economy and it's only outside of London that the effects become noticeable.
Sure, for a lot of non-job people it's like that. In engineering/construction/projects it's not so rosy.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My Daughter had real trouble progressing in London because highly qualified people were going for lesser jobs at her level. Every person going for Office Manager type roles had completed 5 years of University or so it seemed, as jobs for their traditional roles... whatever that may have been had dried up.

She came back here, she had a job within 2 weeks, at an International PR company and her wage jumped by around 7,000 pounds... she is now on 60,000K and has one day leave for University per week.

She is actually being headhunted by a major Advertising Agency at present... Not sure whether she is going to take up the offer or not.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 7th 2011 at 7:49 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure, for a lot of non-job people it's like that. In engineering/construction/projects it's not so rosy.
Talking about corporate roles. Banking and finance for example is more profitable than ever. Not quite sure what you mean by non-job people.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jun 7th 2011 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My Daughter had real trouble progressing in London because highly qualified people were going for lesser jobs at her level. Every person going for Office Manager type roles had completed 5 years of University or so it seemed, as jobs for their traditional roles... whatever that may have been had dried up.

She came back here, she had a job within 2 weeks, at an International PR company and her wage jumped by around 7,000 pounds... she is now on 60,000K and has one day leave for University per week.

She is actually being headhunted by a major Advertising Agency at present... Not sure whether she is going to take up the offer or not.
Office Manager is a non-professional role and firmly in the highly competitive, un-skilled category. Things did slow down in London for a while but it was a bit of a blip more than anything. Australia will never have the opportunities that London can offer.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jun 7th 2011 at 9:46 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:49 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Live in a place that will make you happy, with the people that make you happy and that are important in your life. Doesnt matter where it may be, only you can decide where it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with, life is too short to not be fulfilled and sometimes all the money in the world will not do that for you. Go where the pull is.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Talking about corporate roles. Banking and finance for example is more profitable than ever. Not quite sure what you mean by non-job people.
That's what I'm talking about
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Brits working some of the longest hours in a Westernised country??:rofl :

Have fn in Canada mate? A country where you are regarded as a second class citizen if you haven't been to a top university and worked at this company. Low wages, high costs, 2 weeks annual leave..yeah no thanks.

In all seriousness I'm glad I don't live in Canada it's completely backwards even compared to Australian and soo far left it's dangerous.

For the OP. Why not go home and try it but try not to burn bridges in Perth in case you need to restart you business.
You do post some shit there Weebie. Me with my community college night school diploma managed just fine in my career for 20 years and never once felt like a second class citizen. My wage when I left there 5 years ago is just about what I'm earning now in Australia. I had 3 weeks off annually plus flex working hours around my kids' schooling.

And sorry to say, but Canada is neither "backward" or so far left it's dangerous. Since 2006 the prime minister has been Stephen Harper, who was known for being ultra right wing when he was an MP and leader of the Reform Party in Alberta.

Try learning a little bit about the places and things you trash before you go spouting your crap. You only show how truly uneducated you are when you post garbage you know nothing about.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:17 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I live in Norfolk at the moment (on and off for 25 years) and think it's a lovely county. We are in Norwich and I love the fact that I can walk 10 minutes one way and I'm in the city and 15 minutes the other way and I'm in woodland, very nearly the countryside.
In some ways it's like Perth (we've lived there too) - it's isolated from the rest of the country in that it's not somewhere you pass through, it's usually the destination. It has a slower pace of life than other places I've lived too.
I think the education is pretty good. My lot are at an independent school, but most of my friends use the state schools and their children have done/are doing well at them. We have the largest state boarding school in the country which has a fabulous reputation and kids seem to do very well from there too.
Norfolk is one of the driest places in the UK and currently we are having a very dry spell! We've hardly had any rain since the beginning of the year and have had a beautiful sunny, warm spring. It doesn't always happen, but it's lovely when it does!
House prices have fallen since the start of the financial troubles which could mean you get something really nice mortgage free.
I would say though that the job market here isn't great at the moment, depending on what you do. Many of my friends now have to commute to work, to Cambridge, London, Manchester and one to Cardiff. They work in different areas - journalists, TV producer, solicitors, financial/insurance industries. It's not easy - they can't move because they have children in school and don't want to disrupt their education especially as the jobs they're doing aren't all that 'safe'.
That said, builders, plumbers, elecricians etc are all saying they can't keep up with the workload they have, so it's not all bad.
Good luck with your decision. FWIW, if you do decide to come back to the UK, I think Norfolk/Suffolk are lovely options.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by isgraham
Well I hate to differ because 5 years in Sydney clearly means I don't know what I'm talking about but I do 7 hours per day now in London with at least 1 afternoon drinking per week and I get far more holidays than I did in Sydney also I can buy a house in London quite easily. But then I suppose you've read a couple of web sites so you know best.
Wow I think you are well in the minority there mate. Where do you work? I work in London and 12 hour days are the norm....where do I send my cv?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mavine1
Wow I think you are well in the minority there mate. Where do you work? I work in London and 12 hour days are the norm....where do I send my cv?
The magpie just off Bishopsgate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.